Thread: Dawn of the dead original ending

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Dawn of the dead original ending

I've heard that the original ending hasn't been shot, in terms of the effects for flygirls suicide, but wonder if Ken Foree's suicide has been filmed, that would be pretty easy for tom savini, wonder if that was shot and done, anyone have any idea on that side of things?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are two sides to the story, one group claiming it was shot and the other saying it wasn't. I believe the general consensus now is that the people saying it was filmed are likely remembering the effects of Gaylen Ross's dummy being completed and maybe even some test footage. Thats of course more to do with Fran's death, but I'd think it would also apply to Peter's.

IF the suicides ending was ever actually shot, the footage was very likely lost when the Laurel basement flooded.

Then again....They've apparently just recently found deleted scenes from Night that were thought to be gone, so who knows?
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Mar-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxcat View Post
    I've heard that the original ending hasn't been shot, in terms of the effects for flygirls suicide, but wonder if Ken Foree's suicide has been filmed, that would be pretty easy for tom savini, wonder if that was shot and done, anyone have any idea on that side of things?
    Well my thought on it is simple it was a shoestring budget and I know they used the dummy in another scene but I cannot see them not doing a take on it. That being said things are a lot different now than they were then. These days you get all these alt scenes and endings with movies, but it was not that common at all back then. The director had a vision, that is all they wanted you to see, and sometimes they would actually destroy extra footage on purpose. I think john hughes did that with the breakfast club if I recall. Just one of those things we'll never know unless it pops up somewhere.

United States
    I've always wanted to see this since I heard about the possibility...but I feel like it was planned maybe mocked up in some form but never finished.

Ireland
    As far as I know, a headcast was taken of Gaylen Ross for her to put through the helicopter blades and end it all. The dummy head was later used for the shotgun headshot scene in the projects. But, as far as I know, no entire scene was actually shot for the suicide ending.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....