Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x16 "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x16 "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x16 "The First Day of the Rest of Your Life" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Scott M. Gimple, Angela Kang & Matthew Negrete

United States
    Look how much bigger Eugene looks compared to Negan haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Look how much bigger Eugene looks compared to Negan haha.
    I'm 6'0" and he's taller than me. Josh is a large man.

I posted during commercial break. As there are so many it has become nauseating. God damn tension killer.

Rising

United States
    Now we know who was the "little birdie" that informed Negan about what Rick & company were planning: the scumbag Scavengers. Their cowardly & shady behavior should already have sent warning alarms that they should not be trusted.

United States
    There were some very nice scenes but I don't have much time to dive in. Overall I didn't care for this episode. Too much implausibility. And yes I realize the dead walk in this world. But how far as this world changed that Rick Grimes(not pain free granted) gave the order for Rosita to detonate with Eugene and a possible Sasha present. I expect Wylde to show up here soon.

United States
    I'll dive in more later as well. Quickly though, I agree about Rick giving that order. I'll have to watch this again. Wylde can show up but I don't read his stuff anymore. He's on a different level.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Too much implausibility.
    Like for example: how does Shiva know who are the "bad guys" and who are the "good guys"??? Such concepts would be unknown to a tiger. The Alexandrians and Hilltoppers, most of whom she has had basically no contact with before, would be as much "fair game" as the Saviors and the Scavengers. Yet she only selectively targeted "bad guys".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Like for example: how does Shiva know who are the "bad guys" and who are the "good guys"??? Such concepts would be unknown to a tiger. The Alexandrians and Hilltoppers, most of whom she has had basically no contact with before, would be as much "fair game" as the Saviors and the Scavengers. Yet she only selectively targeted "bad guys".
    Lol yep. That's one of many. I won't hate on this one too much because it's iconic for comic readers.

Super Moderator

UK
    I enjoyed that!

1) Abraham/Sasha flashbacks - good to have some of this, but we really needed this kinda stuff earlier in Season 7 to add more credence to her decisions throughout the season. I do understand having some of this in this episode as it was Sasha's swansong, but we still needed more glimpses behind Abrahama/Sasha's curtains nevertheless.

2) Sasha was a strong character ... interesting way to go out - the negotiation down to "one" death, coming out from the coffin as a walker after taking the pill. It is a bit of an iffy play - a two hour ride, sure, but everyone resurrects in different amounts of time, although it seems relatively swiftly seems to be most common: around a couple of hours. Glad they tracked her down at the end as mid-way through I was like "erm, what about the Sasha walker?".

3) SHIVA! FUDGE YEAH! Now that's a sneak attack that works. In 6x16 Morgan's sneak attack made no real sense as you'd have heard the horse clip clopping about on the concrete from a mile away, but Shiva is a predator so they're capable of suddenly pouncing, and everyone else was hidden behind the houses. ONE THING - we'll have to assume Alexandria has a back entrance somewhere we've not been privy to?

4) This one skewed in a few directions I hadn't predicted, so it was an enjoyable watch. Naturally you know full well Michonne wasn't going to be the one who fell from that balcony, but if you were living that situation for real you'd believe it. We the viewer have all kinds of perspective that the characters don't.

5) Finally! The Scavengers are bad guys - now we can kill these buggers off! I never trusted them for one second. Their M.O. came across as very selfish ... they smelled bad (and not just literally, I'd assume! ) as, clearly, their allegience is bought by whoever the highest bidder is. I can't imagine Oceanside's going to be particularly thrilled. Figured they were gonna do a double cross as I didn't like them anyway, but especially so when that one with Michonne said the "we win" line with an imaginary mustache twirl.

6) Great to see the first battle that leads to the war. Great to see Maggie as a leader (but where the hell was Gregory? Just skulking about in his office after last week's humiliating incident outside Hilltop's gates?). Shiva, again, was awesome. Great to see Morgan and Carol in the fight, and I guess Daryl inherited Hershel's infinite ammo cheat.

7) "Trust A Move" made me giggle, as did Jadis propositioning Rick.

8) Negan flipping the bird made me chuckle, too ... but damn, there's some shitty shots in the group. Mind you, Father Gabriel isn't exactly Rambo, is he? Would have been nice to have a shot of Negan and his driver ducking for cover in the truck cab, then him flipping them off once they were far enough away. Perhaps even suggest an added layer of armoured protection at the back of the cab?

TWD 7x16 Memes:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Apr-2017 at 04:28 PM.

United States
    I know people aren't complaining about Shiva haha it's based on a comic book, I think people sometimes forget that.

- - - Updated - - -

This episode was good overall. I'll chime in more when I can but the one bit I really disliked was all the shooting and no one really getting hit on screen. Rosita is an exception because we now know how they plan to mask her pregnancy come season 8.

I also really wanted to see more of Walker Sasha. Cool moment though, I enjoyed her storyline.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Apr-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Shiva!

Super Moderator

United States
    When did Eugene find the time to sneak around Savior HQ and bend all the iron sights on their firearms?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    When did Eugene find the time to sneak around Savior HQ and bend all the iron sights on their firearms?
    Wait, I miss something or you're joking? Because those asshats missed everything haha.

Okay, just watched this episode again. Great finale. The Saviors were on the run at the end because of the save from The Kingdom and The Hilltop. I freaking love King Ezekiel. Seeing a tiger maul someone during the zombie apocalypse can make anyone freak out haha.

Once again my favorite moment was the little things they do. Maggie's speech at the end was a great callback to Glenn and it hit me right in the feels. Nice writing there.

Sasha's story was nice as well and the callback to my man Abraham worked great. I love how this finale was structured. Great selection of music too.

Now I can't wait for season 8.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Apr-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Rewatch

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ONE THING - we'll have to assume Alexandria has a back entrance somewhere we've not been privy to?
    We saw in a previous episode that there was another entrance through the sewer system below Alexandria, but it's obviously impossible for that whole army of Hilltoppers & Kingdomers, including even horsemen, to have secretly entered Alexandria through there.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    We saw in a previous episode that there was another entrance through the sewer system below Alexandria, but it's obviously impossible for that whole army of Hilltoppers & Kingdomers, including even horsemen, to have secretly entered Alexandria through there.
    I'm sure they do.

United States
    I think they missed making an impact with the red shirt deaths. I felt nothing as Rick walked past random Alexandria residents whom I had no idea who they were. We are talking close combat with fully automatic machine guns. This takes me back to why I didn't like Richard and Ben dying in the same episode as the tool to convince Ezekiel to fight. This battle would have more meaning if Ben or Richard maybe throw in Tobin, Tara etc in the death count. The garbage kids may be incompetent but the fact that they all failed to kill an Alexandrian whom they had a gun to their back made for chicken shit writing. Just don't sit well with me.

On to the chess piece. I assume Dwight left it for Daryl. It said "I didn't know". To what is he referring? That Negan was tipped off by garbage kids? I'm not confident on this and I missed Talking Dead.