Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi (film)

Administrator

England

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi (film)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    anyone else get the feeling that this is going to be pretty much a rehash of empire strikes back? i think we've almost reached peak star wars, and we are now sacrificing quality for quantity. it just seems they keep retelling the same story and don't seem to want to try anything new or risky....just keep reiterating the same themes and ideas, just with more diversity in the casting. yay.

Administrator

England
    For me it's starting to feel more and more like Harry Potter!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    anyone else get the feeling that this is going to be pretty much a rehash of empire strikes back? i think we've almost reached peak star wars, and we are now sacrificing quality for quantity. it just seems they keep retelling the same story and don't seem to want to try anything new or risky....just keep reiterating the same themes and ideas, just with more diversity in the casting. yay.
    I think The Force Awakens was very intentionally referencing the original film. I personally don't feel like it was THAT similar or distracting, but I know that's one of it's biggest criticisms​ from fans. As the first film of this new trilogy, essentially re-introducing these characters to the audience, it makes sense that they kept the plot in somewhat familiar territory.

That being said, I don't think Last Jedi will borrow from Empire if because of nothing more than director, Rian Johnson being a really unique and independent director. All of his films have a very distinct​ stamp on them. Even his episodes of Breaking Bad, while part of the same series, very much stood out on their own("Fly"). So I don't feel like he would be the kind of writer/director to play it safe and rehash past entries.

Ireland
    Difficult to know how it's going to turn out, but it's very true that 'The Force Awakens' "borrowed" from 'Star Wars' to idiotic levels. Nearly everything in it was a 2.0 version of what we've seen before. Coupled with some awful and meh characters, who engage in some really questionable actions, that film ended up be merely OK for me.

Frankly, 'Rogue One' wiped the floor with it. 'The Force Awakens' gets worse with every watch, 'Rogue One' gets better. if it was up to me, I'd give Gareth Edwards every single Star Wars film for the next 10 years.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Difficult to know how it's going to turn out, but it's very true that 'The Force Awakens' "borrowed" from 'Star Wars' to idiotic levels. Nearly everything in it was a 2.0 version of what we've seen before. Coupled with some awful and meh characters, who engage in some really questionable actions, that film ended up be merely OK for me.
    I agree here. I have no high hopes for this film. I did not see Rogue One. Felt like the marketing team got to write a premise tailored to the what toys would sell the most.

Super Moderator

UK
    Rogue One rocked.

I also dug Episode 7, and to be fair, A New Hope follows 'the Hero's Journey' so closely that it's hard to set a film in the same universe - that takes place in the 'Episodes continuity' without it feeling familiar. I would like to see Episode 8 tread its own path, but the similarities between 7 and 4 never bothered me that much. I think it was quite intentional. There was an article explaining that angle on it, but I can't recall where I read it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Rogue One rocked.

I also dug Episode 7, and to be fair, A New Hope follows 'the Hero's Journey' so closely that it's hard to set a film in the same universe - that takes place in the 'Episodes continuity' without it feeling familiar. I would like to see Episode 8 tread its own path, but the similarities between 7 and 4 never bothered me that much. I think it was quite intentional. There was an article explaining that angle on it, but I can't recall where I read it.
    I don't think anyone is arguing wether it was intentional or not. That much is clear. But there are plenty of ways to retell a hero's journey without copying A New Hope almost scene by scene.

Ireland
    I think it was obviously intentional. Disney wanted to play it safe. They want their billions back. But they played it soooo safe, it bordered on parody. We simply didn't need Tatooine 2, Empire 2, Death Star 2, ad nauseum.

Also, following a narrative structure like "The hero's Journey" isn't the same as directly ripping things out of one of the films in the same franchise, because you're afraid to make something new.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I will admit that 'it's like the death star, just bigger' was the iffiest bit - still enjoyed it though - the Empire/New Order must be swimming in cash to keep pissing it up the wall on spherical death machines.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE8nbiL_Msk

Repeat after me:

"Disney is breathing fresh air into the franchise"

Super Moderator

UK
    Fudge sake ... they need new trailer editors!

But the art of trailer editing has been almost entirely lost in the last 15 years or so. Either they show you the whole damn movie, or they copy every other trailer out there ... but this takes the piss.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Fudge sake ... they need new trailer editors!

But the art of trailer editing has been almost entirely lost in the last 15 years or so. Either they show you the whole damn movie, or they copy every other trailer out there ... but this takes the piss.
    I also miss that announcer guy who said things like "In a world gone mad..." with a deep voice. He could be heard in almost every damn movie trailer back in the day. He passed away some years ago.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I also miss that announcer guy who said things like "In a world gone mad..." with a deep voice. He could be heard in almost every damn movie trailer back in the day. He passed away some years ago.
    Aye, you don't get 'trailer voice guys' so much these days, do you? Now it's just lots of big words on the screen, or segments of sentences that are too spaced out by clips full of noises and dialogue so you've forgotten the first third of the sentence by the time you get to the second third of said sentence.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    He got fired.