Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi (film)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As I understood it, Disney couldn’t release the original trilogy for a few more years. I think Fox retained the rights to home video releases until 2020-something. Of course that could all change within the next year now that Disney is purchasing Fox.
    Damn, I'd really like to see those original versions of Ep4,5,6 - carefully restored in HD without any of Lucas' sore-thumb CGI additions. I've avoided watching the original trilogy for a long time now specifically because of how dreadful most of those additions are.

Tweaks after the fact aren't always a bad thing - Blade Runner sets the template - very small things to make adjustments, some bigger (removal of that god-awful VO in the theatrical version) some smaller (e.g. in the final cut, although the colour correction in the final cut was excellent as it managed to get rid of the evident difference between live plates and matte paintings).

Those CGI changes to the original trilogy are just offensive in their obviousness, in their silliness, and even in how they mess things up for no good reason (making Han shoot second). I'd love to see the original trilogy - in it's original incarnation - in a spiffing HD restoration with only the most delicate of touches to the existing effects at the most (i.e. aforementioned colour correction, or improving the landspeeder effect).

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Damn, I'd really like to see those original versions of Ep4,5,6 - carefully restored in HD without any of Lucas' sore-thumb CGI additions. I've avoided watching the original trilogy for a long time now specifically because of how dreadful most of those additions are.

Tweaks after the fact aren't always a bad thing - Blade Runner sets the template - very small things to make adjustments, some bigger (removal of that god-awful VO in the theatrical version) some smaller (e.g. in the final cut, although the colour correction in the final cut was excellent as it managed to get rid of the evident difference between live plates and matte paintings).

Those CGI changes to the original trilogy are just offensive in their obviousness, in their silliness, and even in how they mess things up for no good reason (making Han shoot second). I'd love to see the original trilogy - in it's original incarnation - in a spiffing HD restoration with only the most delicate of touches to the existing effects at the most (i.e. aforementioned colour correction, or improving the landspeeder effect).
    Also known among hardcore fans as The Unfucked-with Trilogy.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Download Harmy's despecialized editions. You can torrent it pretty easily. You won't be disappointed.

It's the only way I can watch those films these days.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, it turns out that they are indeed still moving forward with Rian Johnson’s trilogy. A new producer has signed on and stated that it definitely is all-new characters. Could see the first film within two or three years.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/06/i...-wars-trilogy/

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, it turns out that they are indeed still moving forward with Rian Johnson’s trilogy. A new producer has signed on and stated that it definitely is all-new characters. Could see the first film within two or three years.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/06/i...-wars-trilogy/
    I'll be interested to see where it goes, what it'll be about, etc. New characters and everything - good! The haters will still find plenty to whine about, of course, but one thing they won't be able to whine about is Johnson doing anything they specifically don't like regarding existing characters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    JJ Abrams has announced his cast for Episode IX, and Carrie Fisher is included. Apparently there was sufficient extra footage from Force Awakens that is allowing them to “complete her story”. That sounds a bit sketchy to me, but I guess at this point they’ve already gone through all the footage and decided it could work.

Super Moderator

UK
    JJ Abrams has announced his cast for Episode IX, and Carrie Fisher is included. Apparently there was sufficient extra footage from Force Awakens that is allowing them to “complete her story”. That sounds a bit sketchy to me, but I guess at this point they’ve already gone through all the footage and decided it could work.
    I was kinda hoping for this, because we do need to wrap up her story. It'll be interesting to see how they do it, likely a mish mash of CGI recreation and unused footage, and I wonder if there'll be digitally created lines of dialogue even. Obviously she was supposed to be in that movie, and they'd never do anything to disrespect her so I think this is fine and dandy to do.

I wonder what they'll do with Lando as he's coming back apparently. Will he actually survive to the end of the film? It'd be a bit of a piss take to kill him off as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They’d said before that they wouldn’t use CGI, ala Leia in Rogue One, out of respect for Fisher. So apparently they feel they can craft her scenes out of what was already filmed on the set of Force Awakens, and they got permission from her estate to do so. Surely it can’t be too substantial? I imagine it will only come to a few minutes of screen time.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I'm sure bass is right, and I'm really looking forward to finally seeing Lando in this new trilogy! BILLY DEE!!! RIP Ms. Fischer as well. I still miss her.