Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George A Romero presents Road of the Dead

Just been bitten

Scotland

George A Romero presents Road of the Dead

George A. Romero & Matt Birman Team Up for ROAD OF THE DEAD

George A. Romero, the Godfather of the Modern Zombie, is stepping back into the realm of the living dead with a new film called George A. Romero Presents: Road of the Dead, a project that he co-wrote with Matt Birman, who would direct the movie should it move forward.
    According to IndieWire,*George A. Romero Presents: Road of the Dead will seek financing at to the Frontières market this July at the Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal.
    Pitched about ten years ago by Birman, who was a second unit director on Romero's three most recent zombie films—Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Land of the Dead—Road of the Dead "is set on an island where zombie prisoners race cars in a modern-day Coliseum for the entertainment of wealthy humans."Birman cites Road Warrior, Rollerball, and Ben-Hur as influences.
    Matt Manjourides and Justin Martell are also on board as producers for Road of the Dead, and it's not yet known if the film would be considered canon within Romero's zombie universe. Time will tell if the movie will secure enough financing to come to fruition.

Source: https://dailydead.com/george-a-romer...d-of-the-dead/

This idea sounds shit. Romero reminds me of a football player who is well and truly past it and with each next match just gets worse and worse. I miss you Romero!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post

George A. Romero, the Godfather of the Modern Zombie, is stepping back into the realm of the living dead with a new film called George A. Romero Presents: Road of the Dead, a project that he co-wrote with Matt Birman, who would direct the movie should it move forward.
    According to IndieWire,*George A. Romero Presents: Road of the Dead will seek financing at to the Frontières market this July at the Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal.
    Pitched about ten years ago by Birman, who was a second unit director on Romero's three most recent zombie films—Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Land of the Dead—
    uh-oh...

Road of the Dead "is set on an island where zombie prisoners race cars in a modern-day Coliseum for the entertainment of wealthy humans."Birman cites Road Warrior, Rollerball, and Ben-Hur as influences.
    UH-OH...

Matt Manjourides and Justin Martell are also on board as producers for Road of the Dead, and it's not yet known if the film would be considered canon within Romero's zombie universe. Time will tell if the movie will secure enough financing to come to fruition.

This idea sounds shit. Romero reminds me of a football player who is well and truly past it and with each next match just gets worse and worse. I miss you Romero!
    You can say that again. RIP 1960s-80s Romero.
    Last edited by JDP; 19-May-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: ;

Administrator

England
    ^^ "...where zombie prisoners race cars in a modern-day Coliseum for the entertainment of wealthy humans" - Oh dear!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Good.

God.

Almighty.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Yeah... I hate to say it but this idea sounds like rubbish. I miss the days when his zombie movies were actual horror movies. In fact I miss the days when ALL zombie movies were horror movies and not lame action-packed blockbusters (World War Z), disturbing romance shit (Warm Bodies) or unfunny comedies (Zombieland).
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    Yeah... I hate to say it but this idea sounds like rubbish. I miss the days when his zombie movies were actual horror movies. In fact I miss the days when ALL zombie movies were horror movies and not lame action-packed blockbusters (World War Z), disturbing romance shit (Warm Bodies) or unfunny comedies (Zombieland).
    I would beg to differ on Zombieland. While it is a riotous comedy, there's also some stunningly heartfelt moments in the film (e.g. the reveal of Tallahassee's actual backstory) that really knocked the audience for six in the cinema. It was able to throw those into the mix and then manage to get us laughing again, and then throw in another stunner down the line. Naturally, it's not in the same league as Day of the Dead and the like, but I've always loved Zombieland (despite the runners).

World War Z can go fudge itself, though.

As for "Road of the Dead" ... ... erm.

Ireland
    Yeh, have to admit to being partial to 'Zombieland' myself and after the romcom, the horror comedy is my most hated subgenre.

As for 'Road of the Dead', I still don't even know where to begin with that. Astonishing stuff.

United States
    Yeah... Well I personally didn't find Zombieland to be that funny. There were times I actually wanted to choke Jesse Eisenberg because I hate him so much as an actor. But that's just my opinion.

Edit: and for the record the runner zombies didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was the annoying way that "Columbus" mocked the victims who were getting torn apart by zombies or the fact that he was too selfish to help anybody unless they were a hot babe.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 20-May-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: edit

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post

Pitched about ten years ago by Birman, who was a second unit director on Romero's three most recent zombie films—Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Land of the Dead—Road of the Dead "is set on an island where zombie prisoners race cars in a modern-day Coliseum for the entertainment of wealthy humans."Birman cites Road Warrior, Rollerball, and Ben-Hur as influences.

Well I’m not going to judge it till I see it, but it does sound silly as all hell. The only way I see this working is if it is rustic and gritty as hell and devoid of cheap CGI effects. Honestly, a zombie gladiator movie sounds better but whatever. Also why do I get the feeling this whole idea stemmed from that scene in day where Fisher and Sarah are outside the room watching Bub and he makes a comment about seeing one of them trying to drive a car.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    This nonsense is probably born from that crap he wrote for Marvel, Empire of the Dead.

Watch for this zombie version of death race include some vampires in to the mix just to crank up the level of Whatthefuckery.

United States
    Why can't Romero just go back to doing what he used to do? Making movies about human survival in a hypothetical situation (in other words a zombie apocalypse). I mean that was the whole reason why people loved his movies.

But then again given how fucky the zombie genre has become lately I guess that maybe he's just trying to compete with today's "popular" zombie movies.

United States
    I just read up on the "race car zombie" movie and had to come here to share it, see someone beat me to it. What a terrible, TERRIBLE idea for a film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I just read up on the "race car zombie" movie and had to come here to share it, see someone beat me to it. What a terrible, TERRIBLE idea for a film.
    At least it's not as terrible as a story about a teenage girl falling in love with a rotten flesh-eating emo zombie boy who devours her boyfriend.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It's almost shocking isn't it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's almost shocking isn't it.
    It really I, I will always view George as a legend and a hero but this is just too much for me to deal with.