Thread: Terminator 6 (film) - With Arni and Cameron?

Administrator

England

Terminator 6 (film) - With Arni and Cameron?

Interesting - http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1661...ovie-after-all

But is it just making a film for the sake of it (& the $)?

While attending the Cannes Festival, Arnold Schwarzenegger spoke to Screen Daily about the Terminator franchise. It's there that he confirmed his involvement in the next film, alongside the great James Cameron. He said,
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I dunno. These days Cameron's decisions are quite questionable....

United States
    The only thing that interested me about the first movie was seeing Arnie's naked behind.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Super Moderator

UK
    I love those first two Terminator movies ... but perhaps it's time for Arnie to retire his T-800. T3 and T5 were pish, and T4 was similarly scented.

There's a chance with Cameron on board, but being that we're several years on from Avatar and the second, third, and fourth movies in that franchise are yet to get out there, how's he going to squeeze it in?

Part of the problem for the T-franchise is that it's become hostage to the stories of the first two movies, it's become defined by just that small part of the war with the machines. You can't stretch that out over and over and over again. Still, though, with JC on board it's got a better shot that the dreck we've been served up for the last decade-and-a-bit.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-May-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I love those first two Terminator movies ... but perhaps it's time for Arnie to retire his T-800. T3 and T5 were pish, and T4 was similarly scented.

There's a chance with Cameron on board, but being that we're several years on from Avatar and the second, third, and fourth movies in that franchise are yet to get out there, how's he going to squeeze it in?

Part of the problem for the T-franchise is that it's become hostage to the stories of the first two movies, it's become defined by just that small part of the war with the machines. You can't stretch that out over and over and over again. Still, though, with JC on board it's got a better shot that the dreck we've been served up for the last decade-and-a-bit.
    The first one was the best one, but it makes you wonder how come the machines could do such a great job at creating the Terminator androids so they could fool humans into thinking they are other humans, even to the point of imitating such details as having body odors, but yet they could not make this one Terminator with a crucial mission in a 20th century AMERICAN city, where he has to try to pass as inconspicuously as possible until he eliminates the target, have an average AMERICAN accent, and instead talks like "Siegfried" from Get Smart??? "Gimme ur addres dere!"

PS: yes, I know, it's because Arnie is Austrian and that's just the way he talks. But the unwitting contradiction this caused with this part of the plot is funny.

PS 2: has anyone else noticed that James Cameron seems to have copied plot elements for his movie from Judas Priest's song "Metal Gods"? The idea of the machines "taking all over", evolving "a mind of its own", stomping down on humanity, humans "hiding underground", some of them being enslaved to work for the machines, etc. is right there clearly spelled out, 4 years before The Terminator:

We've taken too much for granted
    And all the time it had grown
    From techno seeds we first planted
    Evolved a mind of its own
    Marching in the streets
    Dragging iron feet
    Laser beaming hearts
    Ripping men apart
    From off I've seen my perfection
    Where we could do as we please
    In secrecy this infection
    Was spreading like a disease
    Hiding underground
    Knowing we'd be found
    Fearing for our lives
    Reaped by robot's scythes
    Metal Gods
    Metal Gods
    Metal Gods
    Metal Gods
    Machines are taking all over
    With mankind in their command
    In time they'd like to discover
    How they can make their demand
    Better be the slaves
    To their wicked ways
    But meeting with our death
    Engulfed in molten breath

Ireland
    God...why can't this thing just not die.

The only truly good one is the first one, even with its flaws.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    God...why can't this thing just not die.

The only truly good one is the first one, even with its flaws.
    The second had some great moments too...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeh, but over time I've liked it less and less.

I've probably said this before, but I liken Terminator 2 to the younger brother of a smart guy, who is louder and noisier and wants his say on everything. He's big and brash and thinks he's incredibly entertaining. He's grand at first, but he eventualy becomes annoying, so you don't call him up so much.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The second had some great moments too...
    It wasn't bad, but not as good as the first one. The first one was so good and quasi-realistic that you could almost "believe" in its possibility, despite the heavy sci-fi plot elements. The second one went overboard with that "mercury" android. Too difficult to swallow that such a thing could be possible. It was more like a "magical" element (which I like, but in fantasy movies, not so much in science fiction movies), while the first Terminator solidly stuck to more "believable" technological and scientific possibilities.

Ireland
    I also think 'The Terminator' works better now, as it's like a story from the past. The 80's setting is great and the possible future nuclear war that's averted. Viewed today, as a singular film, it's still brilliant.

I had a cut of it somewhere that shortened some scenes and eliminated some of the more dodgy Stan Winston effects and the flaws that those provide. Mostly the bedroom scene with animatronic Arnie.

United States
    What gets me about the movies is that I'm pretty sure Arnold plays the same android in every movie but he has grown older as an actor and it shows. Are terminators supposed to be able to age to appear even more human or something?
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 22-May-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    What gets me about the movies is that I'm pretty sure Arnold plays the same android in every movie but he has grown older as an actor and it shows. Are terminators supposed to be able to age to appear even more human or something?
    Arnie played different T-800s in all the movies. They're all different ones - in T3 John Connor specifically references having to 'teach' this new T-800 all the things he taught the one in the second movie. It was only in Genysis where that particular T-800 stuck around for a long time so that the human tissue surrounding it was able to age (a bit of a dodgy plot tweak to excuse Arnie's natural aging since T2), but again, that was an entirely different T-800.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Arnie played different T-800s in all the movies. They're all different ones - in T3 John Connor specifically references having to 'teach' this new T-800 all the things he taught the one in the second movie. It was only in Genysis where that particular T-800 stuck around for a long time so that the human tissue surrounding it was able to age (a bit of a dodgy plot tweak to excuse Arnie's natural aging since T2), but again, that was an entirely different T-800.
    So they were different? I just assumed they were all the same terminator.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    So they were different? I just assumed they were all the same terminator.
    Same type of Terminator, but all entirely different endoskeletons. Line up a bunch of vacuum cleaners of the same make and model next to each other and you get the idea.

The idea is Skynet had a number of models and a number of skins, so there'd be numerous Arnie-looking T-800s roaming around out there (presumably spread around so it's not a bunch of clones stomping about! ).