Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Romero's 1980 appearance on The Dick Cavett Show

Rising

United States

George Romero's 1980 appearance on The Dick Cavett Show

The Decades Network features all episodes of The Dick Cavett Show, and yesterday they played the two-part 1980 Halloween special, with guests Stephen King, Ira Levin, Peter Straub and... George Romero! This caught me by surprise. I had no idea about Romero's appearance in Cavett's show since it is not listed in Romero's IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001681/

For those who don't have the Decades Network or have never seen these episodes of Cavett's show before, both of them can be found here:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-di...702d0726882b00

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-di...702d0726232d00

Administrator

England
    I get "the video is not available on this device"?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I get "the video is not available on this device"?
    Are you using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer? I could not get the episodes to run on Google Chrome, but they work just fine on Internet Explorer.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Are you using Google Chrome or Internet Explorer? I could not get the episodes to run on Google Chrome, but they work just fine on Internet Explorer.
    Firefox
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Firefox
    Try Internet Explorer. I had no problem with that one.

Ireland
    It's a regional issue, not a browser one.

Neil can't view this cos he's in the UK.

I can't see it in Ireland either.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's a regional issue, not a browser one.

Neil can't view this cos he's in the UK.

I can't see it in Ireland either.
    I take it you tried several browsers and none worked for you. Did you get the same error message as Neil?

- - - Updated - - -

The MeTV Network has also posted the two episodes on their web site:

https://www.metv.com/videos/the-dick...-romero-part-1

https://www.metv.com/videos/the-dick...en-king-part-2

Here I can even see them with Google Chrome, no problem at all, unlike the ones posted at the ShoutFactory TV website, which for me only run on Internet Explorer. Can you guys overseas see them now?
    Last edited by JDP; 22-Sep-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: ;

Ireland
    Tried Firefox and Explorer and yes get the same message.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Tried Firefox and Explorer and yes get the same message.
    How about the MeTV links? Same problem or are you able to see those?

Ireland
    Yep same issue. The MeTV links are to the same Hulu videos. It's Hulu that has the ragional blocker on.

Not even the firefox anonymox add on can get around it unfortunately.

England
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Rising

United States
    Cool, someone obviously downloaded the episodes from the ShoutFactory TV website and uploaded them on YouTube. Now people overseas will be able to see them too.

Note: if anyone has an account at IMDb, please update Romero's page. His appearance on Cavett's show is not listed there. Had it not been for the Decades Network showing all episodes of Cavett's show I would not have known about it either.

England
    Thanks for the heads up on this JDP.

A MUST WATCH PEOPLE
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Not sure what's scarier. The fact they're smoking... Or King's & Romero's collars!

Thanks for the link!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Cheers for that link.

- - - Updated - - -

That Dick Cavett Show was great. Growing up in Ireland, we wouldn't have had a clue who Cavett was. But, I discovered him about 10 years ago on YouTube, while looking for interviews with Marlon Brando. He somehow managed to get a lot of "reclusive" people on his show. Perhaps it was his laconic style of interview that persuaded them? Or maybe they just ponied up the shillings in a big way. But, it was great stuff.

And they weren't puff pieces or plugging opportunities either, although a bit of that went on.

There's loads up on YouTube, so if you have an interest in film from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you should check them out.