Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tarantino developing Star Trek 4

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Now the existence of these two new Trek films are in jeopardy, with the contract negotiations for both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth breaking down and both parties walking away. Apparently in their steps to reduce production costs, they were offering their stars well below what they’d made previously, completely breaching the established contract with Pine. It makes sense to make these new films cheaper, but Paramount is stupid to not keep their word on the previous salaries they’d agreed to.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pine...break-down-115
    Yep, if they've signed a contract then the studio should honour it. If the actor was looking to pull out against the agreement you'd be damn sure the studio would make sure there was hell to pay. How about cutting down the running time and removing some overblown action setpiece instead?

Agreed on trying to make some of these blockbusters cheaper, because they've got so friggin' overblown it's almost impossible to make a good profit on them, and because so much money is riding on them then innovation is rarely seen. Scale things back generally, but if the studio has signed a contract saying they'll pay their star a certain amount of cash, then they should honour it. If they don't, then Pine is justified in walking away. If a star bends to a studio's will when the star has the contractual right, then the studios will never learn and continue to run roughshod over the creatives.

United States
    These guys are making that Marvel/DC money now. Can’t expect them to take a lesser deal.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    These guys are making that Marvel/DC money now. Can’t expect them to take a lesser deal.
    Hemsworth surely, but Pine?

He hasn't really starred in a lot of successes. The Star Trek films, barely any of them have been huge successes, and Wonder Woman. That's all I can think off.

As for their pay, I'm pretty sure the actors only signed on for a 3 picture deal. So any new deal would be from scratch. I don't think there is a standing deal as mentioned in the article, because you just can't tear those up.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trailer for Quintin Tarantino’s Star Trek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Nv2R9Acec

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Nv2R9Acec

That's FANTASTIC

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While doing some press for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, Tarantino was asked about Trek and he gave a very positive response....

It’s a very big possibility. I haven’t been dealing with those guys for a while cause I’ve been making my movie. But we’ve talked about a story and a script. The script has been written and when I emerge my head like Punxsutawney Phil, post-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, we’ll pick up talking about it again.
    Karl Urban was also recently asked about the supposed R-rating, to which he said people are taking it the wrong way:
    You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff. He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that. To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid.
    I’m still not sure how I feel about it, but Urban’s references to McCoy’s fear of deep space certainly ring true and help alleviate some of the worry....

Ireland

Suddenly, a Tarantino helmed Star Trek doesn't seem like an absolute disaster.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....