Thread: Alita: Battle Angel (film)

Administrator

England

Alita: Battle Angel (film)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Curious, the whole 'real life anime girl' look, isn't it?

I recall that Battle Angel is a project that James Cameron has been working on for ages (since the 1990s, I think?) as one of his 'yet to be made projects' that he had lined up, but evidently didn't get around to himself (especially now with a million Avatar movies waiting to be made ).

Not sure what to think about it at this point. Not familiar with the source material either.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Curious, the whole 'real life anime girl' look, isn't it?

I recall that Battle Angel is a project that James Cameron has been working on for ages (since the 1990s, I think?) as one of his 'yet to be made projects' that he had lined up, but evidently didn't get around to himself (especially now with a million Avatar movies waiting to be made ).

Not sure what to think about it at this point. Not familiar with the source material either.
    Cameron did produce it, so was involved to some degree at least...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    This shit freaks me out.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yikes. I’ve seen several reviews that aren’t quite as negative, but for the most part they settle around an “it’s okay”.

I like both Cameron and Rodriquez, but something about this film never captured my attention. Definitely going to wait and see it at home, unfortunately.

Hopefully this is isn’t a sign of things to come with the new Cameron-involved Terminator.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yikes. I’ve seen several reviews that aren’t quite as negative, but for the most part they settle around an “it’s okay”.

I like both Cameron and Rodriquez, but something about this film never captured my attention. Definitely going to wait and see it at home, unfortunately.

Hopefully this is isn’t a sign of things to come with the new Cameron-involved Terminator.
    ...or the 27 new Avatar films he's doing!?

Maybe he's lost his mojo like Carpenter did!?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    By the sounds of it, this has always been a tricky project for Cameron. I read that he had a script for it, but it was some silly length like 300 to 500 pages and he just couldn't figure out how to whittle it down to a feature. So Rodriguez took away the stuff, had a shufty, and managed to get it down to a feature length script (although by the sounds of it from some reviews it seems as if too many things have been shoved into the running time).

Like you, bassman, I saw the trailer and I had little interest in it. I'll scope it out on telly, but I'm just not grabbed by it.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well regardless I'm still excited for it and can't wait to see it! I'll review it if I get a chance to see it in the theater soon, for sure. The anime is so good!!

Administrator

England
    A couple of parts/aspects of it were good, but a lot else of it felt a clunky and contrived.

6/10 for action enjoyability...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Oh! And a certain Mr Nicotero was also involved in the effects too!
    -Carl Sagan