Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Mirror (Netflix series)

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the second episode just now - Dead Loch - very enjoyable, too ... although the stuff early on with 'micro aggressions' and 'woke talk' slipping in was a bit eye-rolling and kind of unnecessary/irksome ... other than that, though, I really dug episode two.

- - - Updated - - -

So, ep #3 "Beyond The Sea".

Another good one, but yeah, you could've cut ten minutes out of that, or trimmed down certain elements into montage. Perhaps trimming down a bit would've made certain developments less inevitable, if that makes sense? You wouldn't have had as much time to think about where it's going, but then again maybe that's me with my writer's brain switched on and thinking about what moves could be made from the pieces on the board.

Still good, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, so...

Ep 4 "Mazey Day" ... the weak one of the bunch IMHO. Didn't feel like it had anything interesting to say or do with the papparazzi angle, and the twist felt a bit random ... I wasn't bored by it, to be fair, but it did feel a little bit 'meh'.

Ep 5 "Demon 79" ... another long one, but this one felt a bit better paced than Beyond The Sea (the other really long one). Some hints of Hammer Horror, and lots of humour. Now ... I don't really know how it fits into the general vibe and purpose of Black Mirror, but despite that it was very enjoyable and kept me hooked.

Everyone's mileage will vary with each episode, but I'd say 4 out of 5 is pretty darn solid. The gap since the last batch of episodes has definitely helped.

Ireland
    The first two are pretty decent stories. I very much liked episode 2. The third was kinda meh, with a huge problem too. Why couldn't they just not send the replicas to the space station instead of the real guys? The real guys stay on earth with their families and their replicas do their jobs in space.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The first two are pretty decent stories. I very much liked episode 2. The third was kinda meh, with a huge problem too. Why couldn't they just not send the replicas to the space station instead of the real guys? The real guys stay on earth with their families and their replicas do their jobs in space.
    That's a fair point!

I don't recall any dialogue that explained it, but perhaps they did and I missed it.

Maybe it could be a case of the tech being quite experimental, so you wouldn't risk the mission on robot men who might conk out, whereas you know and understand the human body enough to trust that more than a brand new machine?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Jun-2023 at 10:01 AM.

Ireland
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All the way through the episode I couldn't help thinking that if they sent the replicas to space, the whole story becomes null and void. The Manson family wannabes have no motive.

Anyway, we finished out the series tonight and the last two episodes were fairly enjoyable. 'Demon 79' I felt was the better of the last two. Genuinely funny in certain moments. 'Mazey Day' was ok, but I really disliked the main actress. She has a puss on her that's just deeply unpleasant. Also, the other actress, what's her face playing Mazey Day, reminded me so much of a young Linda Blair that I was constantly taken out of the story.

All in all though, S06 is probably the best series of 'Black Mirror' that I've seen. Certainly the most consistent, in a show that's always been chronically hit and miss.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All the way through the episode I couldn't help thinking that if they sent the replicas to space, the whole story becomes null and void.
    Didn't even think of that That's why you earn the big bucks!

ps: There is of course the whole issue of faster than light travel too for the link between the human/replica.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There is of course the whole issue of faster than light travel too for the link between the human/replica.
    Now funnily enough that one I was thinking of - but then again, you've got the tech to make these "replicas", so I'll just go with it that they have the tech to transmit that amount of data that quickly...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Now funnily enough that one I was thinking of - but then again, you've got the tech to make these "replicas", so I'll just go with it that they have the tech to transmit that amount of data that quickly...
    Even to the moon there's seconds of lag/delay. Imagine trying to react to having a conversation or catching a ball with a 3s delay in your head

You're around the moon and Wifey asks your replica a question. It gets to you 1.5s later, you respond, and it takes 1.5s for that response to get back to your replica. All the chats seemed immediate in the episode

But I'm happy to go with handwavium explanations...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Even to the moon there's seconds of lag/delay. Imagine trying to react to having a conversation or catching a ball with a 3s delay in your head

You're around the moon and Wifey asks your replica a question. It gets to you 1.5s later, you respond, and it takes 1.5s for that response to get back to your replica. All the chats seemed immediate in the episode

But I'm happy to go with handwavium explanations...
    Yeah, I think it's one of those things that manages to pass the 'internal logic' of the episode itself ... meanwhile, the issue shoot raised is an entirely different matter.

Was that ever brought up in the episode? Did I miss something in the dialogue that explained why the replicas aren't on the spaceship instead? If not, then that doesn't pass the internal logic test.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Jul-2023 at 01:53 PM.