Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Zombie's top 5 favorite zombie films

United States

Rob Zombie's top 5 favorite zombie films

Just saw this, figured i'd pass it along:

Launch Radio Networks reports: Although Rob Zombie has previously touted the original 1931 "Frankenstein" as his all-time favorite horror movie, he's got a different set of favorites on his list of the top five zombie flicks. In a posting on his MySpace page, Zombie revealed his fave movies about the walking dead, along with his reasons for their inclusion:

5. "Zombie Lake" - "This one is just really weird. Maybe not the best zombie movie, but for some reason I like it anyway."

4. "Dawn of the Dead" (1978 original) - "As a sequel, it's outstanding and a great political commentary on how people are zombified by their culture. Where else can you get a Zombie Mexican Biker Pie Fight?"

3. "I Walked With a Zombie" - "This one is classic, but a little unknown. They had a really different approach to the storytelling in this one, which I why I like it."

2. "Night of the Living Dead" - "This movie was simply groundbreaking for the black and white zombie genre. (Director) George Romero had people freaking out with the whole idea of zombies coming alive and eating people."

1. "White Zombie" - "Nothing like a little voodoo to make your woman love you more. Plus it's got Bela Lugosi."

Rob Zombie's remake of the classic horror film "Halloween" is scheduled to hit theatres a year from now. Shooting is scheduled to begin in January.

Zombie's previous credits as a screenwriter and director are 2003's "House of 1000 Corpses" and 2005's "The Devil's Rejects".

Kazakhstan
    i loved devils rejects and have total faith in this guy, he'll do a decent remake, he realy does seem to know what he's doing.

i walked with a zombie is a scary one.

ViP

United States
    Zombie Lake is awful, any way you spin it.

I've been meaning to check out I Walked With A Zombie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Zombie Lake is awful, any way you spin it.

I've been meaning to check out I Walked With A Zombie.
    Indeed, Zombie Lake is horribly awful!
    (However, I do own copies of KILLDOZER and Manos the Hands of Fate [the NON-mst3k version]; both movies being FAVORITES of mine! Both being pretty damned awful!)

I agree on the rest of his picks.

Undisclosed
    I watched White Zombie for the first time last week. I thought it was funny.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i walked with a zombie sucks hot balls, with all those rich debonair white guys being served by black maids who speak like the woman out of tom and jerry "THOMAS!"

Kazakhstan
    lol she always called him JASPAH didn't she?

yeah but it has creepy bits, like when they bump into the zombie in the cornfield..brr

oh yeah, and i always thought bride of frankenstein was wayyy better than the first, despite that gurning woman at the start and the whimsical homunculus stuff.

United States
    im suprised zombie lake ranked so high

United States
    How is NOTLD part of the "black and white zombie genre"?
    Since when is Black and White a Genre? Its groundbraking, PERIOD. So I call "duh" on that comment.
    It's not like it's a silent film, and anyway black and whiteis a film stock type, not a method of storytelling or a subjact matter. To me that's just really dumb, like House of a 1000 corpses dumb. He's lucky Devils Rejects was good cause 1000 corpses was retarded.
    and Zombie Laked sucked too. I agree with all the others and White Zombie is great.

For the record, I also own Killdozer.
    I also reccomend Damnation Alley. If you never saw that, your missing out big time
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, rock on, Zombie Lake - I've got it on DVD.

It's completely retarded and really stupid, but I just like it for being so downright daft. Oasis of the Zombies is another one which is fun to watch, because it's just sooooooooo bad, but it's entertaining.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    How is NOTLD part of the "black and white zombie genre"?
    Since when is Black and White a Genre? Its groundbraking, PERIOD. So I call "duh" on that comment.
    It's not like it's a silent film, and anyway black and whiteis a film stock type, not a method of storytelling or a subjact matter. To me that's just really dumb, like House of a 1000 corpses dumb. He's lucky Devils Rejects was good cause 1000 corpses was retarded.
    and Zombie Laked sucked too. I agree with all the others and White Zombie is great.

For the record, I also own Killdozer.
    I also reccomend Damnation Alley. If you never saw that, your missing out big time
    A little hatred toward Rob zombie there, man?

I think what he was trying to say is that the grainy black & white actually helped the vibe and tone of the film. I've heard a lot of people say the same thing and I quite agree.

It still would have been good in color, but not as good as it is in black & white.

Kazakhstan
    yeah house of 1k corpses was a bit silly and the last quater totally went off on one, but you have to hand it to him, he managed to evoke that trashy texas chainsaw 2 feel really well, certainly much better than any of these "remakes" do.

ditto for devils rejects, but i felt a more sorta sam peckinpah/texas chainsaw 1/natural born killers feel to it, my hands were sweating by the end.

the only dodgy bit was the abuse of the wife in the hotel room, which i don't think was done swishly enough, it felt lingering and a bit wrong to be honest(i'm a pussy for that kind of thing anyway).

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    A little hatred toward Rob zombie there, man?

I think what he was trying to say is that the grainy black & white actually helped the vibe and tone of the film. I've heard a lot of people say the same thing and I quite agree.

It still would have been good in color, but not as good as it is in black & white.
    I don't hate him. Not all all. It just reminded me a bit of when soemone says they don't like old movies. Like 1990 old It just like theres movies and there old black and white movies that suffer from the era. I think the old everyhting shot on a set dates Waaay worse than the film stock.
    I love NOTLD fine as it is. Saw it in 1974 and it ruined my life in the best possible way. I like the grainy Bolex look of the film.
    If it was in clor the FX might've really looked like crap...or a Hershell Louis movie. Which is sub crap (FX Wise. though I like 2000 maniacs alot).
    I nerd out about few things, but if someone knocks Notld or Dawn, I jump like someone insulted my Mom.

I also get queasy about lingering female abuse scenes. Like Last House on the LEft or Mothers day. Me, I like girls.
    I saw that on a double bill with Jaws2 at a drive in with MY MOM. She was really happy when I said I wanted to go home and didnt have to say it herself and listen to my bitching.
    Last edited by coma; 01-Nov-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    I agree with his choices apart from Zombie Lake and I Walked With A Zombie. I'm actually quite amazed at what he picked as there are many better movies to choose from. As a huge fan of both of his earlier movies (is is that obvious?) I am totally psyched about his remake of Halloween. You know it's gonna be brutal. Sid Haig as Loomis? Sherrie Moon as Laurie? Bill Moseley as Michael Myers? One can only hope...
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Nov-2006 at 09:23 PM.

United States
    most people on this forum dislike zombie lake