great cities of the world...

put up your 5 candidates.

not in any particular order

toronto
    san francisco
    london
    new york
    sydney

been to all 5 of these. would gladly live in anyone of them. although i am a little biased towards toronto.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    put up your 5 candidates.

not in any particular order

toronto
    san francisco
    london
    new york
    sydney

been to all 5 of these. would gladly live in anyone of them. although i am a little biased towards toronto.
    Didn't really get into Sydney, apart from the climate obviously...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Didn't really get into Sydney, apart from the climate obviously...
    i have always been a big australiophile (did i just invent a word?). my family almost emigrated there when i was 10. sadly that didn't happen. i have always loved all things australian.

United Kingdom
    London
    Cairo
    Dubai
    St Pauls
    Manchester

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've never left the country... and I haven't even been to every city in this country...

-Toronto (top choice)
    -Chicago
    -Boston
    -New Orleans (close second)
    -Los Angeles (never been)

Administrator

England
    I've been to Toronto, but it was late and night and basically just went in, ate, and left...

Why have you guys put Toronto over Vancouver?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I've never left North America but I've seen most of Canada and the USA.

No particular order:

best:

Vancouver
    Toronto
    Sacramento, CA
    Tuscon, AZ
    Austin, TX

Worst

Newark, NJ
    Gary, In
    Jersey City, Nj
    Miami, FL
    Detriot, MI
    Last edited by wyvern1096; 12-Dec-2007 at 01:38 AM.

United States
    New York-love a place like that; drugs, hookers and food all day and night
    New Orleans- i was told I would die if I moved there shortly after
    Montreal- great place on New years eve never kissed so many french people
    Lima, Peru- the Inca ruins were amazing in peru
    San Mateo- just outside san fransico really beautiful, an ex girl lives there

i hated spain it was dirty
    Japan drove me nuts cuz the people all stood right on top of you
    Cairo was hot and gross
    west africa was like hell on earth-Guinea Bisseau 115+ degrees every day

I still plan on coming to london
    my friend went and i was supposed to go but
    I had a small problem with the local law

soon enough Ill come. I make it a point
    to get arrested or at least
    annoy the law. I am banned from
    Rutland, Vermont for life. no sense
    of humor I found out there.

England
    i have always loved all things australian.
    Including neighbours?? just kidding.

Personally i wouldnt live in a city,i dont mind visiting them but to actually live somewhere i would prefer the countryside.
    Also i dont see the attraction of london,its a dump full of ignorant/arrogant/im so great arseholes in my experience!

I stayed in amsterdam a couple of days last weekend,our hotel was in the middle of the red light district,you see some rare sights there i can tell you

Super Moderator

UK
    *high five for London hatred*! *BAM!*

I'm likewise enclined, while not very good at the whole countryside walking and rambling thing, I don't dig living in a city. I like the skies to be black at night, not orange. I like the quiet too.

I lived in Norwich for 3 years when I was at university and liked it a lot, but it's like half city, half countryside so it was like best of both worlds.

But I just can't stand London, as I've stated at length beforehand. It's just not me in the slightest...the only way I'd ever live there is if I was loaded and could afford to live somewhere posh, and had somebody to drive/bike me around to film sets...and even then, I'd have to get the hell out fairly regularly and go somewhere quiet and comparatively remote.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    New York
    Hong Kong
    Tokyo
    Boston
    Chengdu

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've been to Toronto, but it was late and night and basically just went in, ate, and left...

Why have you guys put Toronto over Vancouver?
    one reason is that vancouver is expensive (as north america goes) as all bat crap. then there is just something about toronto that makes me say "frak me, this has to be the greatest place anywhere on earth."
    we go there at least once every single year (usually when we go to london to visit the wife's folks for christmas) for at least a week and if we go up for the odd visit during the year, i make sure that we make it over to toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Personally i wouldnt live in a city,i dont mind visiting them but to actually live somewhere i would prefer the countryside.
    i'm just the opposite. i live in a small town right now out in the middle of nowhere and there are times when i am think i am going to go all bat sheyat because of it. to say that i hate living out here would be the grandest understament of the last 12 centuries.

i see nothing redeeming in small towns or the country at all.
    Last edited by Mike70; 26-Nov-2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    one reason is that vancouver is expensive (as north america goes) as all bat crap. then there is just something about toronto that makes me say "frak me, this has to be the greatest place anywhere on earth."
    we go there at least once every single year (usually when we go to london to visit the wife's folks for christmas) for at least a week and if we go up for the odd visit during the year, i make sure that we make it over to toronto.

i'm just the opposite. i live in a small town right now out in the middle of nowhere and there are times when i am think i am going to go all bat sheyat because of it. to say that i hate living out here would be the grandest understament of the last 12 centuries.

i see nothing redeeming in small towns or the country at all.
    You need to go to Auckland then

It feels like a city centre, then you take 100 steps and you're out of it

It's tiny
    -Carl Sagan

Kazakhstan
    of the places i've been to...

1. London
    2. New York
    3. Dublin
    4. Cardiff (yeah there's nothing there but it's a top place to get drunk)
    5. Copenhagen
    6. Nice (shut up! i really like it)
    7. Birmingham (nothing beats a pissed up night of metal in brum)

Paris is overrated imo. i stayed in a swish hotel when i was there, had an excellent view of the city - the coolest thing about paris is that you can actually see the neon glow of the red light district at night & from a great height. otherwise i thought it was boring & a bit dirty. has cool stuff like jim morrison's grave and the catacombs, but otherwise meh
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, yeah I wasn't enamoured with Paris either. I too thought it was a bit rough, a bit smelly and a bit dirty...plus I got nothing but snooty looks from the locals, acting right arsey. Plus I felt like I was about to be pick-pocketed any second.