View Poll Results: Are you near a digital/3D ready cinema?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 55.00%
  • No

9 45.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for 3D cinema?

Administrator

England

Are you ready for 3D cinema?

With some big budget 3D films due out next year (eg Cameron's 'Avatar'), do you have access to a cinema (nearby) that can show such films?

Our local cinema was revamped earlier this year to have all six screen digital/3D ready
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm really not ready. But, hey, I could surprise myself. With the tech advances in the pivotal entertainment sector, who knows what's possible? I'm still skeptical, however.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm really not ready. But, hey, I could surprise myself. With the tech advances in the pivotal entertainment sector, who knows what's possible? I'm still skeptical, however.
    I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning! And who better to kick it off than Cameron!

Here's hoping he hasn't lost his touch!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ready and waiting and unsure of whether my new local theaters will have 3D capability but I imagine they will simply because of the number of movies they film locally some theater outta have it.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning! And who better to kick it off than Cameron!

Here's hoping he hasn't lost his touch!
    Theaters already in 3d. You have crying kids and rowdy teenagers in your face the whole time.

We have an i max in the city, which is an hour by train. Funny, when i think of 3d it takes me back to those cheesy 80's glasses that i really hated. I'd like to see where the technology has gone and what the experience is like now.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    No idea whether my local can manage 3-D, but it's a chain cinema, so it'll get upgraded with the rest.

I'm totally up for next-gen 3-D, especially from Cameron. I hope he's still the obsessive kook he always was, I can see a bunch of old movies being re-released in 3-D, perhaps that'll put a stop to all this retarded remaking that's always going on. One can only hope.

I'd rather see a 3-D re-issue of something, than a crap remake.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    No idea whether my local can manage 3-D, but it's a chain cinema, so it'll get upgraded with the rest.

I'm totally up for next-gen 3-D, especially from Cameron. I hope he's still the obsessive kook he always was, I can see a bunch of old movies being re-released in 3-D, perhaps that'll put a stop to all this retarded remaking that's always going on. One can only hope.

I'd rather see a 3-D re-issue of something, than a crap remake.
    I'll swear I heard Lucas was revamping the original into 3D... Prepare for more PC changes (all guns removed) and beautifully rendered 3D aliens tripping over for your comic delight!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll swear I heard Lucas was revamping the original into 3D... Prepare for more PC changes (all guns removed) and beautifully rendered 3D aliens tripping over for your comic delight!
    It wouldn't suprise me one bit. Has there ever been a creator of something that has re-released, repackaged and rebooted a franchise as much as that man has?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Does this mean it's going to cost $80 to go to the movies now?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK

Spot on cinema satire there Neil. I guarantee there'll be a 3-D trilogy box set, no doubt...and yes, all those stupid changes will be flying around all over the shop. Filmmakers need to learn when to step back and control themselves, it's just how it is, have some control over yourself, Lucas!!

Administrator

England
    That's very interesting! I wonder if the tickets will be more expensive for a 3d showing... They need to cover the glasses etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Spot on cinema satire there Neil. I guarantee there'll be a 3-D trilogy box set, no doubt...and yes, all those stupid changes will be flying around all over the shop. Filmmakers need to learn when to step back and control themselves, it's just how it is, have some control over yourself, Lucas!!
    Too late for Lucas... To think he's actually actively gone around destroying all the original prints of his films... Madness!
    Last edited by Neil; 20-Jul-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning!
    I saw Jaws 3 and Freddy's Dead at the cinema in 3D, they were both crap. I know the technology has vastly improved but I just can't see cinemagoers sitting in a theatre, looking like an absolute twat wearing a pair of glasses and saying "oooh" every 5 seconds.

It's okay for the odd treat but I wanna see a movie, not sit inside it.

Too late for Lucas... To think he's actually actively gone around destroying all the original prints of his films... Madness!
    And the VHS copies. The bird at my local Blockbuster told me ages ago that due to their recent trade-in scheme (Blockbuster used to part exchange VHS tapes at the start), 20th Century Fox ordered the store to send all VHS copies of the original unremastered trilogy to them for destruction.

I wonder if they gave 'em a grand funeral pyre like Vader had in Return of the Jedi, while playing that slow theme from Star Wars in the background?

<sad Artoo bleep>
    Last edited by capncnut; 20-Jul-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

You didn't really think that they would actually come put of pocket for the cost of more advance technology did you? Of course we're going to end up absorbing any costs incurred by them as a result of the 3d experience.

Banned User

United States
    The closest 3D cinema is about two hours from me. It would have to be some major zombie infested 3D gore-o-rama to make me drive that far with ticket and gas prices. I'll wait for the DVD versions.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not; I really wish I were. I hardly ever go to the movie theatre, but if we had 3D movies you could bet your ass I'd be there all the time.