Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General questions...

Undisclosed

General questions...

Hi guys i'm new here and wanted to find out the general consensus on a few things straight from the mouths of the romero fans!

currently studying cult film, and wanted to have a look at what makes romero fans tick.

sooo....

how do you feel about remakes of the originals?

does his new stuff compare to the classics?

what drives you to discuss romero on a forum with other people?

would be great to see what responses i can get! thanks.

United States
    hook a nigga up. he is the only thing keeping a surprisingly faltering franchise alive. i love everything about zombies, i wish it'd happen so my life can be turned upside down. sad when you wish for this when you still have loved ones in this world...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The General Consensus of this place is:

- Give Remakes a Rest. We don't like most of them, altough a select few are alright (Dawn of the Dead, depending on who you're asking)

- His New Stuff does NOT compare to his classics. But most/some find them alright-to-good (myself included)

- We love zombies, and no matter who you ask on this forum, Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead are going to be in their top 10 favourite films of all time.

Undisclosed
    I forgot to say, I am a fan myself, hence choosing romero for my discussion!

i love the remake of Dawn, more as a movie in itself than as a relative of Romero's as obviously the themes and style are vastly different.

have you guys seen survival of the dead yet? i hate to say it, but thought it was pretty bad, maybe his worst?

thanks for the response

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scotch egg View Post
    I have mixed feelings, acknowledging they are inferior products and in many cases horrible, but liking Dawn '04 as a fun actiony zombie flick.

It doesn't compare, for me. Land I liked, but Diary I was not happy with. I can't speak about Survival, as I've yet to see it.

Well, it's a common interest, of course, but for me it's more of a vehicle for hanging online with cool people, many of whom I consider friends.

And welcome, SE! I've yet to try a scotch egg, myself. Am I missing out???

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The General Consensus of this place is:

- Give Remakes a Rest. We don't like most of them, altough a select few are alright (Dawn of the Dead, depending on who you're asking)

- His New Stuff does NOT compare to his classics. But most/some find them alright-to-good (myself included)

- We love zombies, and no matter who you ask on this forum, Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead are going to be in their top 10 favourite films of all time.
    While I generally disagree with most of everything Ned says, I'm with him 100% on the above. Right on.

have you guys seen survival of the dead yet? i hate to say it, but thought it was pretty bad, maybe his worst?

thanks for the response
    Oh, you haven't seen "Land" yet. Your appreciation for "Survival" will increase after you do.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Personally, I'll be glad when zombie movies fade into obscurity again..I think the purpose of ANY good film, but moreso one about the world as we know it grinding to a halt while another rises in it's place is to get people thinking..turning your mind off now and then is fine, which is something I like to do even when watching the trifecta sometimes (night, dawn, day) but something that takes it's ideas from another film or story and adds nothing doesn't interest me.

In my mind, the best remake is NOTLD 90..it's not perfect, but the undead in that one are the ones that have still yet to be beaten..they do in fact look like corpses..

As far as Survival goes..*shudder*..CG has no place in films where you don't have the budget to make it look decent.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hi guys i'm new here and wanted to find out the general consensus on a few things straight from the mouths of the romero fans!

currently studying cult film, and wanted to have a look at what makes romero fans tick.

sooo....

would be great to see what responses i can get! thanks.

I personally don't mind the Night and DAWN remakes... but the DAY remake is friggin awful. The story, the screenplay, the direction, just everything about it is below par, considering it had a nearly $20,000,000 budget. However, some here would say DAWN 2004 sucks as well, but I felt at least DAWN 2004 tried to be a horror flick as much as a zombie flick whereas Day 2008 did neither.

HELL NO! - The new stuff wreaks of hackism. The new stuff is corny, over the top stupidity at its finest (I am referring to LAND and SURVIVAL). Diary to me seemed to be a return to roots, and while it isn't great it does work for me. I think Diary would have been rec'd better had it not been shot in first person perspective. George could have achieved the same outcome, doing it third person, but whatever, thats beyond the point. Diary works for me, but the newer three films don't hold a candle to the original 3.

I don't think it is really Romero we talk about as much as it is the genre and the scenarios presented by his films.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    thanks a lot for your response guys!

JDFP, I have seen Land, was only mildly better than Survival! I though Diary was ok... I tend to think he's flogging a dead horse a bit with the new ones, but people (myself included) will keep on watching as long as it's a Romero film!

How do you guys feel about Romero as 'cult'?

I reckon forums work as a place for those with common interests to get together, but at the moment I'm looking at responses to the films and what discussions come of them. Interesting stuff!

Cheers

ps- acesandEights, my friend calls me scotch egg because im scottish, the food is ok! haha.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, Mister Scotty... Can you change the laws of physics?

Undisclosed
    Miss

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, Miss Scotty... That's probably why my Star Trek reference didn't hit home...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I think Diary would have been rec'd better had it not been shot in first person perspective. George could have achieved the same outcome, doing it third person
    Again, it's his almost fanatical obsession with driving home his message. The first person perspective was intrigal to that, to the film's detriment, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Again, it's his almost fanatical obsession with driving home his message. The first person perspective was intrigal to that, to the film's detriment, imo.

The message WAS the film's detriment. The first person shooting was just a nice way to make it unwatchable so we don't have to torture ourselves. Thanks GAR!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Welcome Scottish Egg!!

IMO as long as GAR makes movies we all here will watch them,come here and love/hate them but still watch. Some will also buy the dvd eventho some of his newer films arent up to par.
    The way I see it Romero brought the genre to everyone to say what HE wanted to say using zombies as his backdrop. Plus, zombies are fun! Who here would not JUMP at the chance to be an extra in one of his films?
    Really, IMO, I am glad he still makes films, I can remember a very very dry period of no Romero films and that sucked BIGTIME!!
    As for his films in general I simply look at the scare affect it has on me the first time I watch it. Did I jump? Did pull back away from the theater screen like I was gonna do a backflip over my chair into the person sitting behind me?
    A lot of people absolutely HATED Land!(ahem Andy I know I know don't mention that film)
    But, the first time I saw it in the theater I about jumped out of my seat when the fliphead zomb did it's thing! You see that is what I love about the zombie movies you don't know where or when they are gonna strike. One bite or scratch and you are history. They are slow moving (my fav) but get enough of them and who knows what will happen? will they kill the actor or is he/she gonna be saved by someone you don't see yet offscreen? Oh, I used to be so totally against fast moving zombies but, they are ok for me now. I just don't like the acrobat zombies that go on ceilings or do karate movesor some other stupid stunt. I mean they are dead they are all messed up!! Sorry, I just had to say that!
    You will get a lot of different views on GAR's first triology to his newest movies, to zombie movies in general. Until I joined here I had no idea how many zombie movie that were out there to watch. I have increased my personal zombie dvd collection quite abit.
    But, yeah you could say here at hp we love the zombies and love talking about them!
    SO, WELCOME TO THE MADHOUSE!!!!