Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Nintendo is Lazy and You Don't Care

I've always said that the wii is a gimmick and definitely not for the hardcore gamer, but there is something more to my dislike of it and this article illustrates alot of what i feel on the subject.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've been saying this from the start. It was obvious from the launch that this was their plan.

Now it seems like their target customers are overweight middle aged women....
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jan-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've been saying this from the start. It was obvious from the launch that this was their plan.

Now it seems like their target customers are overweight middle aged women....
    And as more time passes, to hardcore gamers like myself, nintendo might as well not even exist, because it's obvious they don't have us in mind when making these games.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Canada
    the Wii is pretty much just shovelware. and the hardcore gamer crowd is much smaller than the casual gamer crowd, which nintendo sought to cash in on. Why would they bother to compete with the 360 and ps3 in this regard? They saw their market and took a chance on it, which seemed to have paid off. Because really, they won't miss your business when they can get 6 other people that only play games casually to make up for it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    the Wii is pretty much just shovelware. and the hardcore gamer crowd is much smaller than the casual gamer crowd, which nintendo sought to cash in on. Why would they bother to compete with the 360 and ps3 in this regard? They saw their market and took a chance on it, which seemed to have paid off. Because really, they won't miss your business when they can get 6 other people that only play games casually to make up for it.

Will they though? How do we know they aren't just breaking even?

Say the 6 casual gamers buy one game apiece. Is it a strech to say that a hardcore gamer won't buy 5 or 6 themselves?

True they found they're own niche' but the gamble is that the casual gamer can just quit it cold turkey when it's not en vogue anymore. The hardcore gamer is someone that will stay with you fo' life.

West Side !!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Aw, snap!
    Dude, Nintendo's been lazy since... well, I guess a year or so after the Gamecube came out. Lazy and money-crazed. Gone are the days of innovative titles such as Paper Mario. Actually, I think the last Nintendo game to come out that was actually cool was Twilight Princess. Mario Galaxy looked nice, but... I'd still rather play Sunshine.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its lazy to go where the money is?, the casual market has been booming with no sign of stopping, why make a third "looks, tits and explosions!" action orientated console when the ps3 and the 360 exist? It has a lot of crap, but the wii fills a niche' that was previously unfilled so to speak. It needs better games for the more stereotypical games enthusiasts sure, but when you get down to it the controls are ingenious, Miyamoto himself said "arent you sick of just holding a rough banana shape and hitting the buttons and nothing else?" and i agreed at the time and i still do, and its not just because this is the guy behind most of the videogame greats.

Getting up and going to town in a great game is a total joy compared to another fps with two control sticks, a melle and a grenade button. just because its not giving you halo or gears of war does not mean the wii is bad, on the whole its a hoot and is it any surprise we now have the xbox natal and that ps3... dildo thing showing up to imitate it in one fashion or another?

That's not to say Nintendo's without complaint, there just shifting there marketing, like i said, theyve seen no need to compete with the types of crowds that buy 360's and ps3's when theres a much larger crowd who on the whole have barely gotten into videogames and are seeing games like wii sports, cooking momma, professor layton or brain age to get them into videogames for the first time. and the wii is doing that! all those people who said i was just playing a "murder simulator" growing up are now having a whale of a time playing zelda or mario galaxy.

Sure there last e3 announcements on the whole have been more of the same, but your forgetting the nintendo from the end of the gamecube era. how many magazines did you see 4 or 5 years back saying "is the cube the nintendos dreamcast?, are they going the way of sega?", and by god they came back with a vengeance. They've had to play it safe, but mario galaxy is one of the best platformer's of all time! and it was mario sunshine without the fludd, and that was mario 64 with the fludd, if this next one is more of the same then its gonna be pretty damn rad.
    Now they are money whores nowadays, but look back at them half a decade guys and gals. They were barely hanging on, now there in the casual business and business is very, very good.

But this doesn't stop gems getting through for the mature audience too, but you will never see them if you just go "lol, wii is gay, look how stupid it is, i wanna chill back easy style and play codmodwaw2 with my brosephs!, hard core fo' lyfe g dawwwwg!" i can see how the games they put out now arent for you, if they arent, then guess what, they are not for you. This doesn't make them lazy, this makes them a business who saved themselves with a good decision, and it gets thousands more into videogames which is a very good thing.
    Last edited by Danny; 04-Jan-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Wow, you're right! I just realized how lame my opinion is compared to yours! Nintendo has been and still is the shit! Still, no platformer will ever outshine Banjo-Kazooie for me, but that's just the kind of hairpin I am.

Undisclosed
    I think I may have to agree with Hellsing on this one. Wii is not for me, but they definitely captured an audience and a fraction of the market with their current focus. I wouldn't say Nintendo dropped the ball, more like made it possible for you to pick up the ball and throw it like never before.

CJ
    "Don't let the name fool you, there is no Hope in a world of the dead."

capncnut
    The Wii certainly was promising back then but crap, play WiiSports for ten minutes and you wheeze like a 40-a-day smoker after he's run a marathon. Thanks but no thanks. I think I'd rather play my games with a bottle of scotch in one hand and the controller in the other. Not forgetting the doritos and spicy dip, of course.
    Last edited by capncnut; 05-Jan-2010 at 02:58 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    The Wii certainly was promising back then but crap, play WiiSports for ten minutes and you wheeze like a 40-a-day smoker after he's run a marathon. Thanks but no thanks. I think I'd rather play my games with a bottle of scotch in one hand and the controller in the other. Not forgetting the doritos and spicy dip, of course.
    Ever since surgically modifying my bellybutton to hold a twelve ounce can, and achieving the proper sized man-breasts to hold a bag of chips upright, well. . let's just say I have my hand's free for any situation that may arise. . . gaming. . . . or. . . otherwise.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    any game where an 6 year old can kick my ass at baseball automatically goes on my shit list.

seriously though, wii is an attempt to be clever that just falls flat as a day old open beer.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    its lazy to go where the money is?, the casual market has been booming with no sign of stopping, why make a third "looks, tits and explosions!" action orientated console when the ps3 and the 360 exist? It has a lot of crap, but the wii fills a niche' that was previously unfilled so to speak. It needs better games for the more stereotypical games enthusiasts sure, but when you get down to it the controls are ingenious, Miyamoto himself said "arent you sick of just holding a rough banana shape and hitting the buttons and nothing else?" and i agreed at the time and i still do, and its not just because this is the guy behind most of the videogame greats.

Getting up and going to town in a great game is a total joy compared to another fps with two control sticks, a melle and a grenade button. just because its not giving you halo or gears of war does not mean the wii is bad, on the whole its a hoot and is it any surprise we now have the xbox natal and that ps3... dildo thing showing up to imitate it in one fashion or another?

That's not to say Nintendo's without complaint, there just shifting there marketing, like i said, theyve seen no need to compete with the types of crowds that buy 360's and ps3's when theres a much larger crowd who on the whole have barely gotten into videogames and are seeing games like wii sports, cooking momma, professor layton or brain age to get them into videogames for the first time. and the wii is doing that! all those people who said i was just playing a "murder simulator" growing up are now having a whale of a time playing zelda or mario galaxy.

Sure there last e3 announcements on the whole have been more of the same, but your forgetting the nintendo from the end of the gamecube era. how many magazines did you see 4 or 5 years back saying "is the cube the nintendos dreamcast?, are they going the way of sega?", and by god they came back with a vengeance. They've had to play it safe, but mario galaxy is one of the best platformer's of all time! and it was mario sunshine without the fludd, and that was mario 64 with the fludd, if this next one is more of the same then its gonna be pretty damn rad.
    Now they are money whores nowadays, but look back at them half a decade guys and gals. They were barely hanging on, now there in the casual business and business is very, very good.

But this doesn't stop gems getting through for the mature audience too, but you will never see them if you just go "lol, wii is gay, look how stupid it is, i wanna chill back easy style and play codmodwaw2 with my brosephs!, hard core fo' lyfe g dawwwwg!" i can see how the games they put out now arent for you, if they arent, then guess what, they are not for you. This doesn't make them lazy, this makes them a business who saved themselves with a good decision, and it gets thousands more into videogames which is a very good thing.
    If you look at sales numbers from 2009 you will find it has indeed showed signs of slowing...

Nintendo has infact been very shrewd and vindicated themselves by betting the farm on recycling the gamecube. They have been turning a profit on each and every console sold since day 1... None of the other consoles can even come close to that claim.

BUT just because they are good businessmen does not mean there product is good. One should not measure quality by financial success.

I was one of the fools who bought a wii on launch thinking this was going possibly usher in a new age of gaming... Guess what my wii collects dust... Anyone foolish enough to sling rocks at the diversity in games style available to other consoles is living in a house made of glass. Because the large majority of games released domestically and internationally on the wii are more or less the same party games reskinned.

Further more the attach rate on the wii(this means how many games someone owns) is no were near the top even with there gimicks to get people to buy there games. And ALL of wii's best seller are a gimmick or trick. A few years back Prince did his "final tour" and everyone whom bought a ticket to the shows was given a "free" cd or so was said... Consequently Prince's new album was topping the charts.... But upon further inspection wii learn that prince was factoring in the price of his new cd into the price of his concert ticket...Shrewd... Ahole, but genius..He was able to fake his way into the top of the charts because abunch of people thought "I wanna see prince before he quits the biz".... Why do I bring this up ?

Nintendo as I mentioned has cheated there way to the charts by selling a number of there games with additional controllers,peripherals that are to enhance the initial controller and just plain goofy and worthless add ons...Im looking at you steering wheel.

All of Nintendo's charting games are either bundled with a peripheral or is a already established franchise. Where is Nintendo's Marcus phoenix or Nathan Drake? Nintendo is indeed lazy and why not? Why take a risk and build something new when some old same will get you by? One can surely not fault them on a well devised plan to cash in on people that will buy a new console but there are plenty of pet rocks that got more play then the average wii user is getting out of theirs.

With this year bringing motion control to the real next gen systems and price drops on the horizon wii's audience will continue to contract..Will we see either console eclipse the wii? Unlikely...The 360 has a better chance as the price point closes and Natal has far more mainstream potential as apposed to Gem by sony being a little more narrow application.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Crap article.
    In ten years time I will be replaying Resident Evil 4, Okami, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, De Blob, Wii Sports Resort and so on while the brick of a 360 lies in a dusty box alongside aged quick flings like Resident Evil 5, Left 4 Dead, Halo, Gears of War and Dead Rising.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 05-Jan-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    BUT just because they are good businessmen does not mean there product is good. One should not measure quality by financial success.

I was one of the fools who bought a wii on launch thinking this was going possibly usher in a new age of gaming... Guess what my wii collects dust... Anyone foolish enough to sling rocks at the diversity in games style available to other consoles is living in a house made of glass. Because the large majority of games released domestically and internationally on the wii are more or less the same party games reskinned.

Further more the attach rate on the wii(this means how many games someone owns) is no were near the top even with there gimicks to get people to buy there games. And ALL of wii's best seller are a gimmick or trick. A few years back Prince did his "final tour" and everyone whom bought a ticket to the shows was given a "free" cd or so was said... Consequently Prince's new album was topping the charts.... But upon further inspection wii learn that prince was factoring in the price of his new cd into the price of his concert ticket...Shrewd... Ahole, but genius..He was able to fake his way into the top of the charts because abunch of people thought "I wanna see prince before he quits the biz".... Why do I bring this up ?

Nintendo as I mentioned has cheated there way to the charts by selling a number of there games with additional controllers,peripherals that are to enhance the initial controller and just plain goofy and worthless add ons...Im looking at you steering wheel.

All of Nintendo's charting games are either bundled with a peripheral or is a already established franchise. Where is Nintendo's Marcus phoenix or Nathan Drake? Nintendo is indeed lazy and why not? Why take a risk and build something new when some old same will get you by? One can surely not fault them on a well devised plan to cash in on people that will buy a new console but there are plenty of pet rocks that got more play then the average wii user is getting out of theirs.

With this year bringing motion control to the real next gen systems and price drops on the horizon wii's audience will continue to contract..Will we see either console eclipse the wii? Unlikely...The 360 has a better chance as the price point closes and Natal has far more mainstream potential as apposed to Gem by sony being a little more narrow application.

And that's the bottom line.

The people defending the wii in this thread are proving the articles point. No where do i see anyone addressing the issues brought up in the article. Most of the responses have been confrontational, like, "If you don't like it don't buy one."

Thnx guys !

All the articles points are legitimate even if it's defenders choose to overlook them. And it's not like they are even doing that, like the article says, they just don't care.

If they choose to ignore the facts that's fine but don't pretend that the wii doesn't have issues. And they're trying to deflect atention off the issue by bringing up problems with other consoles. Sorry but the article is not about the 360.

It's like selling a shitty car and defending it by saying, "well, toyota sells shitty cars too." And that makes it o.k.?

Last edited by darth los; 05-Jan-2010 at 04:16 PM.