Thread: GI Joe, a real American hero?

Twitching

Undisclosed

GI Joe, a real American hero?

A live-action GI Joe movie is in the works, and apparently they are planning on changing the unit from an elite American special operations force to an international force. According to the article linked below, GI JOE would become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity," and would operate out of Brussels, Belgium. This has caused a bit of a backlash, so GI JOE's base has been moved to New York, but supposedly the name and purpose of the force are the same. Considering the origins of the name "GI Joe," this is a real insult. My brothers and I loved playing with our GI Joe stuff when we were kids. If they go through with this plan, my son will never own a GI Joe toy.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/10849526.html
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Dying

Undisclosed
    I'll bet that Cobra Commander had something to do with it.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

United States
    GI JOKE is more like it. What a stupid concept for a stupid movie about a great franchise from the past...after hearing about their "re-imagining", no way I'd see this one.

Looks like another case of "name-raping".
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 29-Oct-2007 at 06:02 PM.

England
    Make it "action force" like the UK version for a start,it was a much less gay sounding name

United States
    After reading that article, I will not go see this movie. That toy line is based of a real war hero and if they are going to basically say "F*ck it, lets change it to be more PC" then I will not go see it and they can go suck a fat one.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ill stick with rambo thanks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    After reading that article, I will not go see this movie. That toy line is based of a real war hero and if they are going to basically say "F*ck it, lets change it to be more PC" then I will not go see it and they can go suck a fat one.
    The p.c. police are omnipresent!
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    The stupidity and greed of Hollywood - also omnipresent.
    Way to go, stupid! Alienate a rabid fan base so that you can appeal to what you hope will be a wider audience. I'd rather see a J-Lo movie than allow them to tear apart yet another thing that I liked growing up with!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    id love to see how theyd deal with the homo eroticism that is he-man in a movie adaption

United States
    Hey man... He Man was my hero growing up. Don't pick on him just because he was a half naked man, remember he rode on a giant pussy cat. He Man was a real man...

Ok, maybe it was a really gay show. I bet he and Orco were lovers.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I'd rather see a J-Lo movie than allow them to tear apart yet another thing that I liked growing up with!
    i don't know, bro...j-lo sucks. but yeah, i guess you got a point, most of the movies she's in aren't name-rapes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes, but after watching them you still sorta feel violated in some way. And that's just wrong.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i don't know, bro...j-lo sucks. but yeah, i guess you got a point, most of the movies she's in aren't name-rapes.
    Yeah, I agree that J-Lo sucks. Attempting to pick what I thought was a truly reprehensible film-type, I was being extreme to illustrate a point, but saying that I wanted to see a J-Lo flick made me feel unclean.

Better I should have said, rather cut my big toe off, but I like my big toe, so there goes being extreme to prove a point!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."