Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra Character Info

United States

Extra Character Info

I've happened upon several "additional" tidbits about the various characters in the ...Dead films.

Things such as characters' last names, and the "fact" that Peter (from Dawn) "has a brother in jail", and things like that.

Now, I ask: where does this stuff come from?! None of it is stated in the films. Are they in the original scripts (I've only read the Day script), or something?

Or are these things just fan-made?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I've happened upon several "additional" tidbits about the various characters in the ...Dead films.

Things such as characters' last names, and the "fact" that Peter (from Dawn) "has a brother in jail", and things like that.

Now, I ask: where does this stuff come from?! None of it is stated in the films. Are they in the original scripts (I've only read the Day script), or something?

Or are these things just fan-made?
    I fail to see what answer you're looking for....

Peter actually says that he has a brother in jail in "Dawn"...

Can you explain a bit more, please? I missed your question, I think...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Peter actually says that he has a brother in jail in "Dawn"...
    He does not!

Where? When?! I've seen the movie about a hundred times, and have never seen a scene in which Peter says anything at all about himself.

I'm thoroughly confused now....

I saw what I assume was the theatrical version on VHS way back in like '84, owned an "uncut" VHS version, and now I have a "Special Edition" DVD version. NONE of them had any mention.
    Last edited by SRP76; 19-Sep-2007 at 04:49 AM.

United States
    yes, dude, he does mention this, it is in the scene where they are leaving philadelphia in the chopper and fran asks everyone who among them is leaving anyone behind...

peters says a couple brothers, then later fran asks if they are real brothers or street brothers, to which he replies real. one's in jail (there's a thread here somewhere on that, titled "one's in jail") and the other is a pro ball-player, but they still catch up time to time. watch more closely, brother. it should definitely be on your special edition dvd.

btw, welcome to the soft parade.

United States
    Ah, now I understand. No, it's not on any version I've ever had.*cries*

On the DVD I have now, they take off, light their smokes (that they refused to give the cross-eyed guy), and start off with Peter asking Fran if "he's (Stephen) your man".

Apparently, a whole bunch of stuff was chopped out.

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though. And oddly, it has Romero and Savini on a commentary track, and they make no mention of "there was a scene here, that we cut out of the theatrical release". Nothing. Just gone without a trace. *cries again*

United States
    just check out the "important" (sticky) threads at the top of the dead discussions page, the last one titled "looking for the best dvd/soundtrack", and there is a nifty guide to what you need, brother.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

On the DVD I have now, they take off, light their smokes (that they refused to give the cross-eyed guy), and start off with Peter asking Fran if "he's (Stephen) your man".

Apparently, a whole bunch of stuff was chopped out.

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though. And oddly, it has Romero and Savini on a commentary track, and they make no mention of "there was a scene here, that we cut out of the theatrical release". Nothing. Just gone without a trace. *cries again*

Do you have the "Ultimate Edition" with all 3 cuts of the film? If not, that's what you need. I can't remember which version has the line(or if all three of them do), but I know that one of them does...

Undisclosed
    The "One's in Jail" dialog is only in the Cannes edit of the film.

The theatrical starts out with "Is he your man?" most of the time, just like to know who everybody is.....

They cut all the other out in the theatrical....Get the Cannes cut (Or directors cut, if you will) the scene is in it...
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

capncnut
    Just wait until you see the extended civil defence scene in the European version, save your tears for then.

The version I have is 2 hours, 7 minutes, so I couldn't imagine I missed very much, though...
    Mmm, 156 mins is the longest version (semi) available. That's almost 30 mins longer...
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Sep-2007 at 07:40 PM.

United States
    capn, which scene are you talking about when you say "civil defense" scene?

capncnut
    Flyboy - "Those things can be stopped so easily. If people would just listen, do what has to be done."

Peter - "How 'bout it Flyboy? Let's say the lady get's killed, will you be able to chop off her head?"

United States
    yeah, that was a killer scene. i wish that someone would put together a master cut with all the awesome dialogue, head-shots, scenes, etc

i really liked the line peter said when they stopped for fuel:

"where the hell are we goin'?" (under his breath)

it really helped set the mood, i don't know why it wasn't left in either the us version or the extended version, but is included on the european version.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    yeah, that was a killer scene. i wish that someone would put together a master cut with all the awesome dialogue, head-shots, scenes, etc.
    Well essentially that's the Krekel Ultimate Cut and all the subsequent 'fancuts' that followed. But yeah, I think GAR should go back into the editing room with all existing re-mastered footage and come up with an official complete version for the 30th anniversary.
    Last edited by capncnut; 20-Sep-2007 at 12:33 AM.

United States
    He does not!

Where? When?! I've seen the movie about a hundred times, and have never seen a scene in which Peter says anything at all about himself.

I'm thoroughly confused now....

I saw what I assume was the theatrical version on VHS way back in like '84, owned an "uncut" VHS version, and now I have a "Special Edition" DVD version. NONE of them had any mention.
    Dude, he does too! Though, I cannot recall which version it was, there was dialogue after they head "straight up" from the police docks where Stephen asks if anyone was leaving anyone behind. Peter very clearly says that he is leaving two brothers behind. Fran asks if they are real brothers or street brothers, to which Peter answers that they are real brothers and that one is in jail and the other is a ball player. Peter then asks if Stephen is Fran's man, to which Fran replies, "most of the time, yeah"

This has been cut down some in the Theatrical Version, but I think is still in the Cannes Cut.

Also, a lot of the missing information, such as Fran's surname age, and the fact that she lost weight after her divorce, blah, blah, is contained in the original script and in the novelization that GAR did with Susanna Sparrow. Cool read if you can find it since it's been ou of print for over 20 years.

Edit: Guess a bunch of the heads here beat me to this info, so it goes to show that the whole thread needs to be read before a response is given. But I am curious about what "civil defense" sequence is being referenced. Can someone clarify?
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 19-Sep-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    yep, i got that book...pretty killer. what else is a good read is the complete night of the living dead filmbook.