Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Television

Undisclosed

Television

Just remembered an old story that I wrote about zombies veging out in front of a t.v. So I'm curious, do any of you think that a zombie could become mesmerized by a working television? That it could be fooled into thinking a human image on a screen is a real person? Or that a show or program with a lot of crazy flashes and odd colors mixed with wild and bizare noises could distract it enough to keep it from noticing a human?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Seems plausible to me. Not foolproof, but it seems like all three of those would work for at least some zombies some of the time. Especially a nice big hi-def TV: how's a zombie gonna know it from a window?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Super Moderator

United States
    Sure it sounds plausible. It all depends on the rule set one is working with in the fictional zombie universe in question.

For example, just on the topic of sensory info and processing for the zombies in question, one might want to ask: do the zombies depend on sight primarily, sight and smell, some other 'supernatural' or super-scientific rationale etc.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Sure it sounds plausible. It all depends on the rule set one is working with in the fictional zombie universe in question.

For example, just on the topic of sensory info and processing for the zombies in question, one might want to ask: do the zombies depend on sight primarily, sight and smell, some other 'supernatural' or super-scientific rationale etc.

Well, there's something sophisticated happening with their senses. After all, they don't just attack anything and eat it. We know that they "hunt" by hearing and by their sight. (I'm assuming, as always, we're dealing with Romero ghouls here). I don't believe it was ever shown a ghoul ever smelling something though. If they could do you really think they would want to be in close proximity to each other? Or, maybe that's exactly WHY they don't eat each other.

As a matter of fact the only time I can remember that happening in is in ROTLD 2. So who knows.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    They trained the zombies via TVs in the original Day script, right?

United States
    I do not think they would be fooled by TVS, I think they might be interested in them and some might have memory of them in there somewhere. I do not however think you could bait zombies away from real humans with them.

Not in the GAR universe. They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins. I think they are drawn to attack their prey by some other instinct or combination of them.

United States
    Maybe it's like the Living Dead being drawn to the mall in "Dawn"; if something had enough importance in your life, you'll be drawn to it in your unlife.

Considering the amount of Couch Potatoes in the U.S., we really have nothing to worry about from Roamers once the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes.

United States
    I could definitely see some getting mesmerized by one (you all really must see "Dead Set" ASAP...), but I don't think they're gonna be fooled by it. As stated above, same pretext as the mall: this was an important part of their lives.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins.
    There is one zombie in Dawn 78 that grabs the face of a mannequin which looks like an attempt to pull, what it thinks is, flesh off of it.

A TV might have a distractive effect to it if it featured images of active humans in "living" color.

Undisclosed
    I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who put out their thoughts and opinions. I think that I can come to the agreement that the living dead can be drawn to a working television if there are no humans around, but nothing can overcome that primordial instinct to consume warm flesh.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Not in the GAR universe. They do not attack each other, they do not attack dolls or mannequins.

There's a zombie that fools around with a mannequin in Dawn....

I think the tv could work in the same way that the "sky flowers" worked in Land. Just something colorful to get their attention for a short while.

If it were Dawn04, all the zombies would be watching exercise shows on the tube. Got to get that superhuman power from somewhere.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think the tv could work in the same way that the "sky flowers" worked in Land. Just something colorful to get their attention for a short while.
    Exactly what I was going to say! I think that televisions would have a short term distracting effect on zombies...nothing too permanent.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say! I think that televisions would have a short term distracting effect on zombies...nothing too permanent.

But the real question is WHy are they being distracted?

Is it because They are simply curious about this glowing box? Or are they realy fooled into thinking that there are actually people on there.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    But the real question is WHy are they being distracted?

Is it because They are simply curious about this glowing box? Or are they realy fooled into thinking that there are actually people on there.
    I don't think they would think they were actual people. (After all, we see no signs of them attacking mannequins, which it seems to me they would be a least as likely to mistake for a real person)

I think they would be drawn to a TV for a couple of reasons. First just the flickering, glowing, moving lights, but more importantly, it's something familiar & comforting from "before", something that was an important part of their lives (as was the mall)

If you ever get the chance, check out the BBC mini series "Dead Set". There's some sly commentary in there on our obsession w/ television (reality tv in particular) that is on par w/ the consumerism commentary in Dawn.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    If you ever get the chance, check out the BBC mini series "Dead Set". There's some sly commentary in there on our obsession w/ television (reality tv in particular) that is on par w/ the consumerism commentary in Dawn.

I keep hearing you guys rave about this series but I have yet to watch an episode. It's starting to sound like a must see. Anyone know if netfilx carries it? Or how i can see it another way?