Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguels

Undisclosed

Miguels

another one to get the ideas rolling, when miguel opened the gates and let the zeds in wat was he thinking, was he just trying to kill himself or was his intention to let the zeds get everyone in the base as well... if so why ??

considering he was having a relationship with Sarah it seems a bit off that he should put her in all that danger if he only meant to kill himself, but if suicide was his intention why not just shoot himself

the fact that he opens the gates and waits till the zeds are on him then lowers the elevator suggests to me that his intention was the obliteration of the bunker and everyone in it.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    another one to get the ideas rolling, when miguel opened the gates and let the zeds in wat was he thinking, was he just trying to kill himself or was his intention to let the zeds get everyone in the base as well... if so why ??

considering he was having a relationship with Sarah it seems a bit off that he should put her in all that danger if he only meant to kill himself, but if suicide was his intention why not just shoot himself

the fact that he opens the gates and waits till the zeds are on him then lowers the elevator suggests to me that his intention was the obliteration of the bunker and everyone in it.
    It's difficult to say exactly, because he'd gone well-and-truly bananas by this point, but I'd compare it to suicides where people park their cars on train crossings in the hopes of taking some of the "cruel world" with them.

capncnut
    He was just a device to make the ending of the film more explosive and gruesome. Shorry...

To answer it properly though, as far as he was concerned, he understood the situ and let 'em in to wipe out the men. He did overhear the action, after all.
    Last edited by capncnut; 25-Jan-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    To answer it properly though, as far as he was concerned, he understood the situ and let 'em in to wipe out the men. He did overhear the action, after all.
    Wow, actually... holy shit... I never thought of it like that but looking at it now, it's hard to see how I could have missed this possibility.

Could it be that Miguel's death was a deliberate act of heroism? It would also make sense in connection to his clutching the rosary and praying before the zombies take him. He death was a sacrifice. The survivors would probably never have escaped had Rhodes and his men not been busy with the elevator the zombies.

An excellent point Cap, you just revealed a whole subtext I'd never noticed before.

Undisclosed
    trust you guys to get me thinking about things in a whole new way, keep the ideas coming in, just one thing.... i thought miguel was staying in John and Billys trailer after he was bit, so would he have heard anything that happened in the complex itself as i gather that the trailer was away from the main buildings...

Scotland
    trust you guys to get me thinking about things in a whole new way, keep the ideas coming in, just one thing.... i thought miguel was staying in John and Billys trailer after he was bit, so would he have heard anything that happened in the complex itself as i gather that the trailer was away from the main buildings...
    Capn means Miguel listened to Sarah, John and Billy talking about stealing the helicopter and he decided to create a diversion to help them/force their hand.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Capn means Miguel listened to Sarah, John and Billy talking about stealing the helicopter and he decided to create a diversion to help them/force their hand.
    ahhh i see wat your getting at

on a side note do you think miguel would have turned or do you think the amputation would have saved him ??

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    here is an excerpt of an interview with antone dileo (miguel) where he talks about his interpretation of that scene.

HW: Well, while we're on opinion and death... a lot of people, when they first see the movie, question when you go up and let the zombies in. They sit in awe, 'why did he do that?' Why do you think the character did that... I know what I think, but I want to know what you think.
    Antone: Well, I'll tell you, but then you'll have to tell me what you think.
    HW: Deal
    Antone: Hmmm... it seems that, just like I said before - the very people that I'm trying to live with and survive with, have turned into the very thing we're trying to protect ourselves from. The spirituality and religionosity of that character realizes it is the end. It's like someone has to sacrifice themselves and bring this madness to a halt. That's pretty much why I let them in. I'm up to my ears. It's not really a personal suicide type thing, I bring them down for a reason. A lot of people might think it's vengeance and all that stuff, but it's not. I see the character from my point of view and I saw it as right, the correct to do that, because they have turned into very heartless, selfserving, and really not connected to what we are as human beings. What kind of souls are left that abuse each other in such hideous ways, as we see through the entire film. So I let them in and sacrificed myself for the - what I think - is the betterment of mankind in general. End this madness. Let it just cease. So what did you think?
    HW: Actually very close to you. I felt that Miguel did it because the surviving humans had pretty much degraded themselves to being more dangerous to each other than the zombies were..
    Antone: yeah, that's exactly right.
    HW: With them being more dangerous than the zombies, these are not the people that should survive to continue the human race. So very similar to you
    Antone: Right, but I'm also hearing that they're going to be shooting each other, my lover, and friends - as I'm lying there in this 'state' waiting to see if I'm going to become a zombie. So right. They're going about destroying each other and where do they think they're going to escape to? That's the laughable part. There's only so much gas a helicopter can hold. There's only so much distance you can go. And if you have no idea where you're going to set down... your helicopter, your body, your soul, everything is going to run out of gas.
    this is a small part of much larger interview. i'm going to link the whole interview. you will be able to follow the links at the bottom to a whole series of long interviews with romero and several day cast members. they are well worth the time.

http://www.horror-web.com/interviews/antonedileo.html
    Last edited by Mike70; 25-Jan-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's actually a brilliant interpretation and something I never thought of before. Good find dude.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    We had this discussion before, and it was a good one. It was the "Was Miguel a coward" thread or something.

I always saw Miguel's actions as a religious act, similar to what the interview states. Believing they are the last humans, and believing they've lost the humanity necessary to justify their place on earth, he lets the zombies in to cleanse the world of humans. I see it as acceptance of the will of God and a means of trying to make peace. Acknowledging that He brought this judgement upon us and we should accept it.

Of course, as a kid when I saw this originally, I thought, "What an idiot."
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    We had this discussion before, and it was a good one. It was the "Was Miguel a coward" thread or something.
    yep, about a year or so ago. i linked the same series of interviews in that thread.

on another note: i link those every so often because if you are a day fan, they really are golden.

edit: it was called "is miguel a fool" and it was over 2 years ago.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...referrerid=286
    Last edited by Mike70; 25-Jan-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I don't buy the excuse making and "oh, there's a deep, powerful message" bullshit. Miguel was just a bitter little fuckup that knew his time was limited, so he wanted to take everyone else with him.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I don't buy the excuse making and "oh, there's a deep, powerful message" bullshit. Miguel was just a bitter little fuckup that knew his time was limited, so he wanted to take everyone else with him.
    The thing is, we know Romero likes the "'oh, there's a deep, powerful message' bullshit" as you call it so it's not unlikely that this was intentional.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 25-Jan-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know, the thing I love about GAr's dead films is that he leaves so much to interpretation/imagination. There's nothing that can really refute what you posted.

This is the main reason why we go on for years pontificating on trivial things like this. If he would have spoon fed it to us there wouldn't be conversation like this one or just who were those "police" at the dock in dawn.

Great stuff.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The thing is, we know Romero likes the "'oh, there's a deep, powerful message' bullshit"...

When we all know he really intended no such thing.

Atleast not to the extent that people praise it. No one with that profound a thought process could be such a bad business man.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I'm with you dude! I'll never buy into all this quasi-religious claptrap on Miguels part.