Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Why didn't they... ?" #1 (Dawn of the Dead)

ViP

United States

"Why didn't they... ?" #1 (Dawn of the Dead)

When Stephen, Roger and Peter went out to move the trucks, why didn't they grab a set of walkie-talkies? It would have been much easier for Stephen to tell the guys on the ground if danger was lurking.

Christmas Island
    Maybe they hadn't done a complete inventory of what was available in the shops at that point.

United States
    Because it wasn't in the script...

Actually, they probably didn't think too much about moving the trucks except as an impulse when they saw them through the binoculars. Given the state of the situation they were in, when a good idea comes they just kind of jumped on it (like when they first entered the mall and went shopping and grabbed a tv).
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States

Exactly!!!

Yes, indeed. Why didn't they grab those walkies?!?

They had already discovered them, and used them effectively for their first grab & run mission. Those walkies definitely would have provided adequate communication, and range also would not have been a problem.

Last but perhaps most importantly, if they had used the walkies, Steven would have been able to warn Roger about the zombie coming into the truck when he was hot-wiring it, and also when he was making the run to grab his bag of tools.

Foolish, foolish heroes.

M.C.

Banned User

United States
    Well...I've worked with the modern version of type of radios the boys had, and I'm here to tell ya--they were often unreliable.

Maybe their predecessors lacked the necessary range and reliablity to do the job?

Haiti
    Couldn't they have made sure that the CBs in the semis were tuned to a frequency that the radio in the 'copter could recieve?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Super Moderator

United States
    You could easily chalk this up to their excitement to perform the task based on how its necessity pressed on them. Couple this with the fact that things were weighing so heavily on them all and it seems natural that some mistakes would be made.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten TheWalkingDude's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Maybe Flyboy was hoping the others would get ate so there would be no others guys around to make him feel threatened lol
    Member of the Pittsburgh Pimp Squad....... Playersssssssss Pimpin Aint Easyyyyyyyy

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakobsa View Post
    Couldn't they have made sure that the CBs in the semis were tuned to a frequency that the radio in the 'copter could recieve?
    The frequency range between CBs and aircraft radios are probably incompatable.

Undisclosed
    It's simple. When they had the walkie talkies in the store, Roger kept calling Peter "Rubber Ducky". This made Peter fly into a rage and he smashed each and every walkie talkie in the mall.

Making the world a not so safe place.

Haiti
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    The frequency range between CBs and aircraft radios are probably incompatable.
    Ok, I'll buy that since I don't know much about radio.
    And I know that the way it played out made for a fine movie, if however, that kind of **** was really going down, i don't know about you but I'd want to know that my mates were on the other end of the radio.
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Super Moderator

UK
    Never thought about that issue until now ...

I'd say, because it was all rushed, it was difficult enough for them to get those few supplies and keep it on the Q.T. from the zombies, so going for some walkie talkies would create some unnecessary risk (there's nothing but risk in a zombie world anyway) ... what they should have done was rip the wires out completely from the trucks after they'd positioned them!

Dead

Undisclosed

Roger lost his situational awareness...

Why didn't Roger just shut the damned door behind him in the first place!? No excuse for that one! With both doors shut and locked while he was hot wiring the truck, the dead would have bumped into the doors giving him adequate warning that he'd better hurry the hell up and get out of there!

Those running zombies from Dawn 04' would have been on him quicker than a tribe of hungry Ethiopians on truck full of chickens!

United States
    I am not a walkie talkie expert, but I think that you have to be relatively close to the base in order for them to work. I doubt that the Mall security force paid for an expensive system that work work beyond the immediate area of the mall. The cheaper the system, the less range it has. There would be no need for mall security to have any range beyond the mall property itself. Roger and Peter would probably know more about this as they were cops and used to using the technology, and knowing that the range was limited, they wouldnt take them on their truck mission.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Why didn't Roger just shut the damned door behind him in the first place!? No excuse for that one! With both doors shut and locked while he was hot wiring the truck, the dead would have bumped into the doors giving him adequate warning that he'd better hurry the hell up and get out of there!

Those running zombies from Dawn 04' would have been on him quicker than a tribe of hungry Ethiopians on truck full of chickens!
    or a birthday cake at a fat chicks party, to quote undead