Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear God! Batman looks terrible (now)...

Administrator

England

Dear God! Batman looks terrible (now)...

Michael Keaton's 'Batman' was reasonably good... But it looks t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e now in comparison to Bale's. I can hardly watch it without grimacing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dead

Undisclosed
    I rewatched it with a friend a week ago, and I didn't think it was all that bad. The only problem I can see with it is that Tim Burton only scraped the surface with the character. The Batman did seem a little stiff in comparison with Bale, but Nolan's new films focus a lot more on the Bruce Wayne side of the character. Burton gave you glimpse of who Wayne was, but that was about it. You don't see his false public personality versus the true, dark personality he has. In my opinion Burton did a good job putting a comic book on film, while Nolan did a great job in creating a world.

United States
    It was just on cable over the weekend and I watched it for the first time in years. It doesn't look too dated. The Bat-suit could have been better to allow for more freedom of movement.
    I still liked it.

The Dark Knight was just too damn depressing for me. I liked Iron Man much more.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just watched it on TV this past weekend actually. I still enjoy it for what it is, but as zombie04 stated, it's just not very true to the character.

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight are definitely better adaptations of the source material and all around superior films to me. TDK is the best comic adapted to film yet.

What REALLY looks dated in Burton's film is Nicholson's OTT Joker. After Ledger's psychopath, Nicholson almost looks like Ceasar Romero. That Dances to Prince.

United States
    Yeah,the new batman movies are alot better.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, funny you should mention this Neil. I got the 2-disc Batman 89 DVD recently and yeah, it just confirms that I was never that "into" Batman with those movies, then Nolan came along with his 'Nolanverse' and sucked me right into it all with two superior films sitting right atop the entire franchise.

I was watching Batman 89 and just thought, "christ, this is positively sedate pace wise". Also, Batman doesn't have much depth at all, the car is not that great anymore - it just seems to pootle along with the aid of undercranking (not like the Tumbler which is flat out barging it a full tonne through a wall).

Also - even though Burton's films are regarded as "dark" and "brough Batman back to it's dark roots", when you compare it to Nolan's flicks - which ARE ACTUALLY DARK (if not pitch black at times) - Burton's just look like slightly ballsier versions of the telly show now.

Mind you, I still enjoyed Jack's Joker immensely - but he wasn't threatening, he was just fun and silly (I rather enjoy that ridiculously long-barelled gun he pulls out of his trousers at one point, that was hilarious).

Now though - compare Batman 89 to Batman Returns. Christ! Another huge difference.

Batman Returns has barely any Batman in it, and all you see mostly is Batman climbing ladders and walking through doors ... not exactly menacing is it? Cat Woman is naff and underdeveloped, Bruce Wayne/Batman continues to be underwritten, and the Penguin is way off into silly comic territory (although one of the better things about the film).

The main problem with Batman Returns is that it's, like Bassman was saying before, a Burton movie with a bit of Batman chucked in every once in a while.

They're entertaining movies (although really only Batman 89 is good, because "Forever" and "& Robin" just go daft again, and "Returns" is just fairly meh now), but Nolan took a franchise that was entertaining - but far from deep, and recently very, very silly - and turned it into something it should always have been from the off (as in the movie part of the franchise).

Nolanverse ALL the way.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I f**king hate Tim Burton.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I f**king hate Tim Burton.
    Edward Scissorhands was genius!

Not seen Sweeney Todd yet, but looking forward to it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Yeah, Scissorhands is a slice of gold. And what about Beetlejuice or Pee Wee's Big Adventure??? I definitely think Burton's earlier work is his best.

Sweeney Todd? Eh. I wasn't impressed. Not. One. Bit.

MZ - How do you think the penguin in BR is like the comic character? He is NOTHING like the character. In BR he is a sewer-living, goo-spitting, ACTUALLY cold blooded(WTF?), version of one of Burton's cartoon characters or something. Nothing like any of the comic versions of the character...

United States

I loved Edward Scissorhands,it's a great movie.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Was not a bad movie, some funny parts....Jonny Depp makes it though, and without Depp, Burton is nothing.

Just bored of his style, the constant use of Danny Elfman, all that stuff...ugh.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Just bored of his style, the constant use of Danny Elfman, all that stuff...ugh.
    You don't like Elfman? He's one of the greatest score writers of our time, imo.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Just....too....overused.....

Maybe it's cos The Simpons is on every single f**king day of my life!! haha

I'd go for Williams over Elfman any day...

Super Moderator

United States
    Dear god! Another Batman thread

But yeah, the new Batman really brings the campy side of the previous film and tv incarnations to light. For people who haven't really read the comics, I suppose it serves as a solid reminder of where Batman stories have been going in the comic off and on over his existence.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Kazakhstan
    I think the Burton films have superior production design & atmosphere, but the Nolan ones are a lot better in almost every other way.

Jack's joker is still great, but just isn't as compelling as Ledger's.

The early episodes of the animated series actually kick the ass of the Burton movies in a lot of ways.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE