Thread: Cuts made to Dead movies...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Cuts made to Dead movies...

Inspired by the Land on TNT thread, I thought I'd post something about certain versions of Romero's movies we've seen that have been hacked and slashed to pieces, like Blades was let loose in an edit suite.....

The first ever copy of Dawn that I owned, was bought by my mother (she'd seen it in the cinema when she was in her 20s) and this version was released by Polygram, under a subsidary label called 4-Front videos...this is the most watered down version of Dawn I have ever seen...everything was gone apart from the swearing...right from the get go....here's some that I remember:

1) remember when Roy Tucker gets shot in the head as the Puerto Ricans are trying to break out of the tenement building? Instead of the shot, plus the blood spurt, then a bit more shooting, then Roy falls on Roger and Roger takes his gun...this is all gone....the Puerto Rican breaks open the door, fires a shot and it cuts to Roy falling on Roger with the swell of the music.

2) Just a scream, no exploding head

3) no blood spurt on Wooley

4) No extra shots on armchair zombie that nearly overpowers Roger, also no spurt from back of footless zombie's head

5) no arm bite on Miguel's wife, neck bite trimmed to a few frames, just a small bit of flesh gets ripped before it cuts

6) tenement scene is restricted to the view of all the zombies just as Peter walks in, no close ups, no headshots

7) no kid zombies at all - makes it look like Peter has shot an adult zombie behind the door

*forgot one* - screwdriver in ear zombie scene cut to show attack then aftermath, no reaction shot nor blood coming out of John's ear.

8) When Roger is attacked by the female zombie in the truck, it just cuts to him throwing her out, no subsequent headshot for pipe wielding zombie either

9) Roger's arm bite in tact, leg bite in tact but no subsequent shooting of the zombie that ate Roger, also Fran's random shots to zombies down below all missing, no headshot on one of the zombies between the trucks just before Roger is killed..

10) no amputee zombies at all

11) girl that pierces Roger's wound is cut, no headshot on her either, no headshot on Taso as stunt double for woman hanging off back of VW

12) Peter's big-ass hunting rifle headshots ALL gone

13) no severed hand in door

14) no machette (lenny lies) zombie, completely missing, also a cut just before Blades chops off female zombie's head with sword, making it look stupid, no ball and chain attack on zombie nor Blades sawing off zombie's head with sword, no guts being wrenched, no blood pressure machine arm tearing, stephen's death also toned down to remove blood spurts.

Hahah that's not even remotely it, just think, if there's blood it was cut! This was the version I had for years, not knowing any better that a longer and gorier version existed...just imagine my shock when I saw the real thing!!

I also had a version of Day, this had cuts to remove Rickle's eye gouging, but the decapitation scene remained in tact, shovel through face scene toned down to remove John's forcing of the shovel, also Sarah cutting through Miguel's arm was toned down in the same way. Rhodes death left completely in tact but 4 (count 'em) frames removed from Torres' neck bite....bizarre!! nice to know they're looking out for us!!!

phew!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    damn.........where do u live?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Fantasy Land?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Inspired by the Land on TNT thread, I thought I'd post something about certain versions of Romero's movies we've seen that have been hacked and slashed to pieces, like Blades was let loose in an edit suite.....

The first ever copy of Dawn that I owned, was bought by my mother (she'd seen it in the cinema when she was in her 20s) and this version was released by Polygram, under a subsidary label called 4-Front videos...this is the most watered down version of Dawn I have ever seen...everything was gone apart from the swearing...right from the get go....here's some that I remember:

1) remember when Roy Tucker gets shot in the head as the Puerto Ricans are trying to break out of the tenement building? Instead of the shot, plus the blood spurt, then a bit more shooting, then Roy falls on Roger and Roger takes his gun...this is all gone....the Puerto Rican breaks open the door, fires a shot and it cuts to Roy falling on Roger with the swell of the music.

2) Just a scream, no exploding head

3) no blood spurt on Wooley

4) No extra shots on armchair zombie that nearly overpowers Roger, also no spurt from back of footless zombie's head

5) no arm bite on Miguel's wife, neck bite trimmed to a few frames, just a small bit of flesh gets ripped before it cuts

6) tenement scene is restricted to the view of all the zombies just as Peter walks in, no close ups, no headshots

7) no kid zombies at all - makes it look like Peter has shot an adult zombie behind the door

*forgot one* - screwdriver in ear zombie scene cut to show attack then aftermath, no reaction shot nor blood coming out of John's ear.

8) When Roger is attacked by the female zombie in the truck, it just cuts to him throwing her out, no subsequent headshot for pipe wielding zombie either

9) Roger's arm bite in tact, leg bite in tact but no subsequent shooting of the zombie that ate Roger, also Fran's random shots to zombies down below all missing, no headshot on one of the zombies between the trucks just before Roger is killed..

10) no amputee zombies at all

11) girl that pierces Roger's wound is cut, no headshot on her either, no headshot on Taso as stunt double for woman hanging off back of VW

12) Peter's big-ass hunting rifle headshots ALL gone

13) no severed hand in door

14) no machette (lenny lies) zombie, completely missing, also a cut just before Blades chops off female zombie's head with sword, making it look stupid, no ball and chain attack on zombie nor Blades sawing off zombie's head with sword, no guts being wrenched, no blood pressure machine arm tearing, stephen's death also toned down to remove blood spurts.

Hahah that's not even remotely it, just think, if there's blood it was cut! This was the version I had for years, not knowing any better that a longer and gorier version existed...just imagine my shock when I saw the real thing!!

I also had a version of Day, this had cuts to remove Rickle's eye gouging, but the decapitation scene remained in tact, shovel through face scene toned down to remove John's forcing of the shovel, also Sarah cutting through Miguel's arm was toned down in the same way. Rhodes death left completely in tact but 4 (count 'em) frames removed from Torres' neck bite....bizarre!! nice to know they're looking out for us!!!

phew!
    Were those the Amish cuts of the films? The first version of Day and Dawn I initially watched in 1986 weren't that watered down, nor any I have seen since.
    Last edited by jim102016; 27-Jan-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Fantasy Land?
    PEANUT!!!

markel? markel? YERRRRRRN!!!

United States
    I've still never seen the zombie that bit Roger get shot.

Canada
    Sounds Like A Poor Version Of Dawn
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I've still never seen the zombie that bit Roger get shot.
    The one who bit his arm or the one who took a chunk out of his leg?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    The one who bit his arm or the one who took a chunk out of his leg?
    Both. The one that bit his arm just got punched in the jaw.

Undisclosed
    Sounds to me like the original British VHS releases of Dawn and Day.

United States
    Suckiest cut ever!

I once rented a copy of Dead Alive from Blockbuster after having boasted to my friends about how over the top and gory it was (those of you who have seen this know what I am talking about), only to find that it had been hacked to pieces by some editor who essentially cut out all the splatter! I had later heard that Blockbuster routinely chops out scenes they find offensive and that local stores have a lot of leeway in this regard. So, I don't know it it is true about Blockbuster, but if you got it at that store then maybe this could account for the hack job.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Whatsamatter Riley? You get f*cked?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."