Thread: Just when you thought no editing problems can exist...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Just when you thought no editing problems can exist...

So here I sit, 95% completed on th emovie, and what happens... A conflict involving the GPU and Magic Bullet look Suite. Yeppers, if I enable it in Vegas, it won't play back the correct frame, it jitters and jumps all over the place.

Thinking it was the software, i reinstalled it. Nope, thinking it was Vegas, reinstalled it. Nope, Re-did Windows, an all the software, problem still exists, so either, the GPU on the motherboard went bad, the harddrive storing the video files is about to take a dump, or the GPU on the Video card went bad.

Now I can still edit the movie, but I have to watch playback at 6-10 frames per second because if I enable the GPU the video goes wacky. Its either that or start over from scratch, so since I am so close to done, i will deal with it, get the movie rendered then try and figure out WTF is wrong.

Going to load up Deadlands 1 to see if I have the same problem. Those files are stored on another HDD alltogether, if it happens there then iknow for 100% it is not a hard drive failure.. if the hard drive fails it come be another 4-6 months of having to capture and recut the entire fucking film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Can you make an emergency back-up copy of all the data on the HDD, just in case the worst happens with the original HDD?

I hope you:

1) Get Deadlands 2 finished fine and dandy.
    2) Get the problem solved with nothing untoward happening.

I've had a few editing problems in my time as well, it's never a nice feeling.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Suspecting possible HDD failure, I backed up everything to another HDD. Same problem, so this definitely a Magic Bullet issue coupled with a video driver issue, Something somewhere is causing a driver conflict.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    jesus that sucks, id track down all the tapes for the hard copies of the footage to make sure one isnt missing.

-oh, and hope you didnt have what happened to one of mine last week, i put it in to capture footage and get "some frames dropped", and it was 14 fucking minutes worth of a 20 minute long piece of footage!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    jesus that sucks, id track down all the tapes for the hard copies of the footage to make sure one isnt missing.

-oh, and hope you didnt have what happened to one of mine last week, i put it in to capture footage and get "some frames dropped", and it was 14 fucking minutes worth of a 20 minute long piece of footage!

All the tapes for Deadlands 2 are archived and in a fire safe along with Deadlands 1 Tapes. Infact all the Mini DV tapes I have ever shot are int here, which are over 200+ tapes from various projects. The majority are from the two films, most from Deadlands 2.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I've had several dropped frames myself, but I haven't edited it together on a timeline yet to see what I'm missing. That problem seems to crop up with Adobe Premiere Pro, but I used Windows whatever on my new HP with Windows Vista and it never dropped a single frame that I am aware of.

I need to back up all of my footage currently captured to my hard drive (it is on Mini-DV of course). I want it to the exact file of course in case the hard drive would take a crap because I do have ten minutes of a scene edited together I wouldn't want to redo and we all know to capture it exactly the same per second is near impossible so the project would be messed up. (I know I could render out an AVI file, but I still have some editing to do and it would be easier to do without dealing with one clip that I would have to chop up again.)

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    if the hard drive fails it come be another 4-6 months of having to capture and recut the entire fucking film.
    That would suck. Hopefully you get it figured out and when you do invest in a backup drive. They are cheap enough anymore and are well worth it.
    I use a 1.5 TB Seagate backup which I can highly recommend.

And worst case scenario - if you have to recut it then just make it better!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well luckily I was able to get the movie rendered out, but the problem still exists, so i just don't enable the GPU when using Magic Bullet.

DAWG, when you capture... are you sending this stuff to an external, or internal drive?

I ask because I had the same issue going to an external, then installed a 1TB internal and no more dropped frames. (Still using XP BTW.)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    I capture to the internal drive. Then at the end of an editing day I back up everything to the external drive.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    you should only capture to a network or locally, especially if you're doing HD....you can maybe get away with firewire connection to external drive but you'd be lucky doing anything close to the data rates needed by professional HD.

Also depends on how you capture, from camera, p2 cards, xdcam, red, or tape...if you do it from tape then defo you need to capture locally...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.