Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen Fulci's City of the Dead?

United States

Anyone seen Fulci's City of the Dead?

I was flipping through you tube and came across a trailer for it and was wondering if anyone's seen it? It looks pretty old but is it any good? Is it only in Italian?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, but i have seen another film of his called zombie, which was decent. Going by other italian horror films i've seen, mostly by argento, it's probably teeming with over the top gore and a cheesy Eurofunk soundtrack.

England
    City of the Living dead is sat on my shelf but i haven't seen it for years. From memory it is a gorefest as darth los says but a very slow moving gorefest. The back cover says a cross between Reanimator and NOTLD.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Undisclosed
    Fulci made a quartet of zombie films in the late 70s early 80s: Zombie (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters) -1979, City Of The Living Dead - 1980, The Beyond - 1981 and House By The Cemetary - 1981.
    City Of The Living Dead has a great atmosphere and some quite excessive gore (Girl pukes up intestines, man has industrial drill shoved through his head etc.) but like a lot of Italian zombie films from that time, City is quite an acquired taste. I think COTLD is great fun but some may see it as dreary, badly acted, poorly dubbed eurocrap.

United States
    grr I want to see this movie bad

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think you're just a closet fan of Eurofunk...ADMIT IT!!! ... lol j/k

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I was flipping through you tube and came across a trailer for it and was wondering if anyone's seen it? It looks pretty old but is it any good? Is it only in Italian?
    Again more Marmite madness from Fulci. I actually like this movie, not only is the ambience/atmosphere utterly chilling but there's some brilliant gore scenes (trust me, you wont ever eat spaghetti again ). As for the language, I think there's an English dub option. Get a bottle of wine and rent it, it's aiiight.

United States

terran already ruined that for me

after his story about the leftovers i'll never eat spagetti again ...it scared me... whenever i think it tastes funny i add cheese =(
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Undisclosed
    This film was AKA "The Gates of Hell", so if you've seen the Gates of Hell, you've seen COTLD. I really enjoyed this movie, I watched it alone in the dark when I was far too young to be watching it, so it holds a special place in my heart. I searched for this movie for years before it ever surfaced in stores. I had to special order it on VHS & payed WAY TOO MUCH for real bad quality & of course it became available in later years on DVD. Anyways, the gut puking scene is classic & should be seen by anyone who considers themself a horror/gore fan

Kazakhstan
    ive got this movie. the one where the priest hangs himself. the ouija board stuff.

i thought it was a load of f***ing crap myself got nothing on zombie flesh eaters/zombie/zombi 2/whatever it's called.
    nice atmosphere though.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It sucks. It's nothing like any other italian films, so I don't see why anyone who likes italian zombies, like me, should enjoy this. Because this one just plain out sucks. It doesn't have a plot, it's just a bunch of scenes loosely cut together with the same characters doing something.

There is ONE scary scene in the film, but it doesn't go anywhere so even that is a letdown.

United States

i can dig it

I did like that house by the cemetary... and i did enjoy zombi 3 so this will prolly not be too bad

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnoftheDead View Post
    This film was AKA "The Gates of Hell", so if you've seen the Gates of Hell, you've seen COTLD. I really enjoyed this movie, I watched it alone in the dark when I was far too young to be watching it, so it holds a special place in my heart. I searched for this movie for years before it ever surfaced in stores. I had to special order it on VHS & payed WAY TOO MUCH for real bad quality & of course it became available in later years on DVD. Anyways, the gut puking scene is classic & should be seen by anyone who considers themself a horror/gore fan

It's interesting how a film will have different tiltes depending on what region they are released in. Anybody know the reason as to why they do this?

United States

perhaps...

I know some movies have different names because they start with a working title and due to other movies coming out at the same time they try to differentiate it from being assosciated with those movies. Or sometimes something happens in the world and a movie title might be associated with that incident and looked upon poorly. Like Derailed was origionally going to be called sideswiped but was later changed to Derailed (no idea why the change) but then there was a commuter train accident and they tried to change it unsuccessfully.

Other movies especially foreign films have one name in Europe and another name in the states due to translational issues.

Also Known As (AKA)
    City of the Living Dead International (English title)
    Fear in the City of the Living Dead International (literal title) (English title)
    Frayeurs France
    Jigoku no kado Japan (video title)
    Leiche hängt am Glockenseil, Eine West Germany (video title)
    Miedo en la ciudad de los muertos vivientos Spain
    Pater Thomas Europe (bootleg title)
    Pavor na Cidade dos Zumbis Brazil
    Puertas del infierno, Las Argentina
    Staden med levande döda Sweden
    Stadt der lebenden Toten, Die West Germany (bootleg title)
    The Gates of Hell USA
    Toter hing am Glockenseil, Ein West Germany (censored version)
    Zombie hing am Glockenseil, Ein West Germany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I guess that's as good an explanation as any. Thnx for the insight.