Thread: what if?

Chasing Prey

Canada

what if?

ok lets says in a perfect world, richard rubenstein finally removed his head from his ass and gave george his rightful due with equal partnership again and romero LITERALLY remakes the first three 'dead' films.

would u set them in modern day or just have them be updated shot for shot films?

modern day would also be shot for shot. and just for kicks, lets say, they gave romero carte blanche to film exactly what he had in scripts including the giant ben hur style day of the dead and universal was on the hook for as big a budget as romero wanted.

would you go see them?

also, got any casting options?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    would you go see them?
    Thats like asking if water is wet...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Thats like asking if water is wet...

eheeh. some people wouldnt

United States
    This is a terrible idea.

Does "Night 30th" ring a bell to anyone?

The original trilogy is great as they are -- I wouldn't want to see them re-made as they are as they should be in their own right. Why mess with something great?

Re-making "Day" would be like re-making "Gone With The Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz" in my book (it's the male version of doing this) -- sometimes you can only capture lightning in a bottle once (and then by mere chance).

As far as casting though just for shits and giggles (because I do find that entertaining to consider), just a few off the top of my head:

Michael Ironside as Harry Cooper.
    Isla Fisher as Judy.

Naomi Watts as Frannie.
    Kevin Costner as Stephen.
    Mel Gibson as Wooley (hehe).

John Goodman as Steele (hell, he basically re-did Steele in "The Big Lebowski").
    Morgan Freeman as John.
    Naomi Watts as Sarah (hell, she could do both Frannie/Sarah roles as far as I'm concerned, she's great).
    Keith Richards as Bub (No make-up required!).
    Richard Dreyfuss or John Lithgow as Dr. Logan.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    This is a terrible idea.

Does "Night 30th" ring a bell to anyone?

The original trilogy is great as they are -- I wouldn't want to see them re-made as they are as they should be in their own right. Why mess with something great?

Re-making "Day" would be like re-making "Gone With The Wind" or "The Wizard of Oz" in my book (it's the male version of doing this) -- sometimes you can only capture lightning in a bottle once (and then by mere chance).

As far as casting though just for shits and giggles (because I do find that entertaining to consider), just a few off the top of my head:

Isla Fisher as Judy.

Naomi Watts as Frannie.

John Goodman as Steele (hell, he basically re-did Steele in "The Big Lebowski").
    Morgan Freeman as John.
    Naomi Watts as Sarah (hell, she could do both Frannie/Sarah roles as far as I'm concerned, she's great).

j.p.

uh........terrible idea? why? if anyone is gonna ruin a remake it might as well be the guy who directed it first,right?

United States
    uh........terrible idea? why? if anyone is gonna ruin a remake it might as well be the guy who directed it first,right?
    If any of his last three films are an indicator of the new elements brought to a re-make of the original trilogy, I'd rather someone else do the job.

j.p.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    If any of his last three films are an indicator of the new elements brought to a re-make of the original trilogy, I'd rather someone else do the job.

j.p.

like steve miner did with day?

United States
    Doesn't count. "Day '08" was not a re-make of "Day '85" -- it only shared the same title and a couple of the same character names. Otherwise, it has nothing to do with it. It's not a re-make.

j.p.

United States
    What? Did you watch the old and new version? Completely different films. I guess you could say a reimagination but not a remake.

United States

Isla Fisher as Judy.

Naomi Watts as Frannie.

Morgan Freeman as John.

j.p.
    Ah, I've thought of a couple others...

Another good potential for Dr. Logan would be Tom Wilkinson. I'd actually say he'd do a better job than Dreyfuss or Lithgow. I could definitely see Wilkinson pulling off Dr. Logan and doing it very well.

And add Kevin Bacon in the mix as Roger.

j.p.

United States
    Hey, I think it could be done just fine. You only need to change some of the props and background stuff (especially in Night), but you don't really need to change the scripts very much.

Set "today" would go over just fine, and I for one WANT to see that! I'd do it myself, if it weren't for that little matter of a few million dollars.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Hey, I think it could be done just fine. You only need to change some of the props and background stuff (especially in Night), but you don't really need to change the scripts very much.

Set "today" would go over just fine, and I for one WANT to see that! I'd do it myself, if it weren't for that little matter of a few million dollars.

they need to incorporate more of the area for a remake of dawn. theres ways to kill zombies written all over the area of the entrance to the monroeville mall

United States
    The things that Romero would do with his own movies defies thought. The same things that keep him from getting new Dead movie deals are the things that should keep him from "reinventing" his classics.

First, assuming he was redoing the old ones, how much social commentary would arrive in them today vs. back then?

Second, assuming he was redoing them today, would he attempt to make the commentary to reflect today? Would Dawn no longer be about consumerism but maybe about nationalism? Or terrorism? Or not being able to carry on a bottle of water to an airplane? Who knows what shape those things would come in.

Third, read the original Day script and be glad someone nuked it.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.