Thread: epic win/epic fail

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

epic win/epic fail

-Before i start i would like to point out yes, i do us phrases like fail a LOT online, but its meant to be ironic and 'in-joke'-ish, i do NOT use it in real life conversation.

-However people do apparently, still.

Im at the cinema again tonight and hanging out with friends of course, some i haven't seen in a while and they've just come back from a live in uni and every damn sentence spoken by someone is met by "epic win bro" or "ah man, epic fail".
    By the end of the movie i was ready to strangle them. really? epic winfail? how does someone in the 20's, in two thousand and ten, still think this is funny?

just a little rant but until yesterday people hadn't said that since the ali-g finger click thing was in and people still said the word "minging". It might be me after 2 and a half hours of it but that got more tiresome than everybody and there aunt quoting andy pipkin off little britain in '06.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's a time and a place for most things ... but also, again with most things, too much of something is bad.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    -Before i start i would like to point out yes, i do us phrases like fail a LOT online, but its meant to be ironic and 'in-joke'-ish, i do NOT use it in real life conversation.

-However people do apparently, still.

Im at the cinema again tonight and hanging out with friends of course, some i haven't seen in a while and they've just come back from a live in uni and every damn sentence spoken by someone is met by "epic win bro" or "ah man, epic fail".
    By the end of the movie i was ready to strangle them. really? epic winfail? how does someone in the 20's, in two thousand and ten, still think this is funny?

just a little rant but until yesterday people hadn't said that since the ali-g finger click thing was in and people still said the word "minging". It might be me after 2 and a half hours of it but that got more tiresome than everybody and there aunt quoting andy pipkin off little britain in '06.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    On one hand, I agree with you because I tend to find the use and reference of 4chan-esque memes offline to be smug and offputting. However, on the other hand, I think the assumption that any new word, phrase or usage immediately has to go out of fashion when it gets "old" is a little sad. I mean, I only really became aware of the whole win/fail thing within the last couple of years. Imagine if "cool" had gone out of fashion in the 50s, for example.

Canada
    Many people seem to think that using internet lingo irl is fun or "cool" as it were. I personally feel that it should be kept to the internet, and anyone that spouts out "LOL U MAD BRO, OH HE MAD. AN HERO, EPIC WIN" and the like, in real life is pretty sad. It is fun to do it online, as it just fits better to the medium, but it is just embarrassing to use outside of this not so secret collection of tewbs.

Super Moderator

UK
    If it's gonna be said in real life, it has to be ironic.