Thread: Unreal Engine 3 sample video...

Super Moderator

UK

Unreal Engine 3 sample video...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I think im at the age now where i see a technological advancement like this and just think 'great, even LONGER till the next game in X series comes out'. y'know?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I thought Unreal Engine 3 had been kicking around for years? What's the big deal?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    I think im at the age now where i see a technological advancement like this and just think 'great, even LONGER till the next game in X series comes out'. y'know?
    More of the termperament, methinks.

Not that I enjoy delays ... I just wish they'd say fuck all until they're pretty darn sure. A series of delays takes the piss, and my piss ain't for the takin'...

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I thought Unreal Engine 3 had been kicking around for years? What's the big deal?
    So did I, but I guess it's been heavily modified versions of UE2, or even UE2.5 ... haven't been following it closely, but this is supposed to be the 'next generation' of graphics. Now, some of the fancy shit I can recognise, but I was looking at some comparison screenshots where some nerdy effect was on and off, and frankly they looked the same to me.

Even still, it looks sexy - that's only one portion of what makes for a great game, but even still, good graphics do sometimes help further your investment in a game world/suspension of belief ... but then being invested in the plot and the characters are much better at doing that. We're beginning to plateau a bit in terms of how important graphics are in terms of believing in a gaming world. I mean, I just think of when I started gaming (16bit, and even those old school hand held games which were rip off versions of Space Invaders etc), and what we've got now, and it blows my mind ... but that amount of development (over the best part of 20 years, which has been my 'gaming life' so far) will slow a fair bit, I'd imagine.

That's not to say that, in the right hands, with the right script and characterisation, superb visuals can't be of good use ... just thinking about BioShock, for example. It's a great world that was created (with a solid script), but it was a great looking world - a combination of good graphics, and superb level design. So, really, in the hands of talented level designers, these visuals as demonstrated in that video, will be appearing in future milestones of gaming.