Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LotR (extended) Blurays... Two discs PER film?

Administrator

England

LotR (extended) Blurays... Two discs PER film?

The new bluray release of the extended version have each film spread across two discs?

Guess the extended time is bursting the 50Gb (dual layer) limit? At 36Mbit, a 50GB bluray=3hrs of storage (I believe)... And the extended versions are well over 3hrs if I recall?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6045
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I thought we'd left the day of hitting the eject button to finish a single movie back with the VHS players

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You know why they're called The Lord of the Rings?

Because the Neverending story was already taken.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You know why they're called The Lord of the Rings?

Because the Neverending story was already taken.
    I'm going to have to remember that one for future use.

I've got to make sure the wife never hears word of this extended release. I've already had to suffer through the trilogy a few times on Blu Ray and I don't think I could handle anymore. I would however like to hear Jackson's commentary on why he made some of the choices he made...
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Apr-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The new bluray release of the extended version have each film spread across two discs?

Guess the extended time is bursting the 50Gb (dual layer) limit? At 36Mbit, a 50GB bluray=3hrs of storage (I believe)... And the extended versions are well over 3hrs if I recall?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6045
    Mind you, the extended versions on DVD were spread across two discs as well.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mind you, the extended versions on DVD were spread across two discs as well.
    Yep! And I thought they were great!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep! And I thought they were great!
    Indeed. For three christmasses in a row I got the 4-disc extended edition DVD of the latest LOTR out that year, so it was a nice little event for a three year stint. Also springing to mind, Jackson's version of King Kong is spread across two discs ... and, weirdly, I kind of dig it. Not only does it keep the quality up, but there's kind of a little sense of occasion to it ... ... mind you, if all movies were doing it, it would be beyond stupid and annoying, but when a movie is feck-off-long, it's the best way.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indeed. For three christmasses in a row I got the 4-disc extended edition DVD of the latest LOTR out that year, so it was a nice little event for a three year stint. Also springing to mind, Jackson's version of King Kong is spread across two discs ... and, weirdly, I kind of dig it. Not only does it keep the quality up, but there's kind of a little sense of occasion to it ... ... mind you, if all movies were doing it, it would be beyond stupid and annoying, but when a movie is feck-off-long, it's the best way.
    There was talk about a version with remastered/new effects... That just sounds too Lucas for me, so I do hope it was not true!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    There was talk about a version with remastered/new effects... That just sounds too Lucas for me, so I do hope it was not true!
    Well, if they cut down on the questionable overuse of the greenglob ghosties in Return, I'd be all for that. But I'm sure they'd be looking to add more effects, rather than making existing ones more subtle, so...

That said, they're great--EPIC (in the truest, not just internet candor, sense of the word)--films, but I honestly had forgotten about the originals and even King Kong being 2 disc jobbies.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Great, now we get 9 hours of walking in HD... christ on a pogostick.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about that. I would be worried about Return of the King taking up four discs by itself, one for the original movie and three for even more endings tacked on.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Oh great, the "9 hours of walking" comment for the 100th time... Christ on a bike!

Hint: We know you don't like them... Really! We do!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So If I remember correctly, the theatrical cuts come in at a bit over three hours a piece. How much is added to the extended versions? Unless it's a great deal more, I'm suprised they're having to split them up onto two discs. With the amount of room available on blu ray, you would think one disc would be plenty. I could be wrong, but I think even the upcoming Ben Hur blu ray release is on one disc.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So If I remember correctly, the theatrical cuts come in at a bit over three hours a piece. How much is added to the extended versions? Unless it's a great deal more, I'm suprised they're having to split them up onto two discs. With the amount of room available on blu ray, you would think one disc would be plenty. I could be wrong, but I think even the upcoming Ben Hur blu ray release is on one disc.....
    Fellowship: Runtime: 178 min | 208 min (special extended edition)
    The Two Towers: Runtime: 179 min | 223 min (special extended edition)
    Return of the King: Runtime: 201 min | 251 min (extended edition)

Quite a bit added, and of some substance. KInd of like the whole extra scene in the Cann cut of Dawn, but even moreso.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Over four hours for Return? Man that's long. But thw question still stands.....is that really too long for one blu ray? It seems to me that they could fit it all onto one disc when you consider the amount of information these things can hold. Maybe it's a good way to jack up the price.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Apr-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: .