Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting Day of the Dead on DVD.

United States

Thinking about getting Day of the Dead on DVD.

Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead is probably not only my favorite zombie movie but my favorite movie of all time too. It was really awesome when I managed to get it on DVD, but now I'm thinking about getting my second favorite zombie movie: George Romero's original Day of the Dead.

While I didn't think the plot of Day of the Dead was as good as Night of the Living Dead, I loved this movie because of the special effects used on the zombies and because it was the first movie to explore the idea of a zombie apocalypse aftermath. The opening where you see the abandon Florida city with all the zombies swarming the streets is probably my favorite scene in the entire movie.

So yeah, hopefully when I get some money I will be able to order it online.

Super Moderator

United States
    I definitely love my copy and it was pretty affordable and easy to find. I think I even bought it out out a big box store when I happened upon it. Decent extras too.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I remember seeing it at Walmart years ago, it's really too bad I didn't buy it back then because now I can never seem to find it at Walmart. I've discovered that ordering movies online is the best way to find specific movies you can't find in stores.

Administrator

England
    I absolutely LOVE day of the dead, its my second favorite Romero movie right after NOTLD and right in my top 5 horror movies ever. It has a great atmosphere, great acting, great effects and a great story and imho is romeros strongest movie right after NOTLD.

Personally, this is my favorite DVD of day, you americans will need a region free DVD player for this one as its a UK release but definitely worth it i think. I remember sending a copy of this over to axlish a while ago.
    Last edited by Andy; 19-Aug-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link.

United States
    Well it's not that I think the plot of Day of the Dead was bad or anything, but I felt that the most interesting parts of the movie happened in the beginning and end. Of course that was when we got to see some actual zombie action and got to look at the brilliant make-up effects Tom Savini used on the zombies. I just kind of felt that the middle of the film spent too much time being about nothing, just soldiers and scientists being assholes to each other. But I still loved the movie because it had a very dark and despairing feel to it, and the zombies were indeed more terrifying than they were in any other Romero film I can think of.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Personally, this is my favorite DVD of day, you americans will need a region free DVD player for this one as its a UK release but definitely worth it i think. I remember sending a copy of this over to axlish a while ago.
    What's different on it than, sayyyy, the one I have that has the velcro thangie connecting the opening flap and has Bub on the cover, with the booklet, 2 dvds, and some sweeet extras? Just wondering...
    It didn't say what was really on the one you linked, unless I'm just a tard and didn't see it.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    day of the dead is AWESOME on dvd. so many little things they threw on there that just make u feel good to be a zombie fan. i remember just one day blindly searching on amazon about 6 years ago and found day of the dead 2 disc and the remake of night for like $13 total. shipped. i jumped on that like some free pussy

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    the one I have that has the velcro thangie connecting the opening flap and has Bub on the cover, with the booklet, 2 dvds, and some sweeet extras...
    This is the version I have and it does indeed kick shedloads of ass.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Just never fall asleep with the menu music playing. It won't leave your head for weeks...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Just never fall asleep with the menu music playing. It won't leave your head for weeks...
    Like I could sleep right after watching Day

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I used to do it all the time before my wife and I got together. I LOVED falling asleep with any of the original three films. They relax me. I dunno why...
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Aug-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Ok, what's the difference between ours and the one Andy has? Does his have kickass schnizz ours doesn't?!?!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the version andy's speaking of is the same as the 2 disc US version but includes a few short docs from a recent screening and Q&A with Pilato. I believe it was an Arrow release?

EDIT: This one?
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Aug-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: .

United States
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the version andy's speaking of is the same as the 2 disc US version but includes a few short docs from a recent screening and Q&A with Pilato. I believe it was an Arrow release?

EDIT: This one?
    Thanks for the clear up. I wonder if those that aren't on ours can be found on Youtube. I thought my copy was pretty badass, as Day is my fave of the trilogy. I like any docs on any of the 3 anyway.

United States
    I used to do it all the time before my wife and I got together. I LOVED falling asleep with any of the original three films. They relax me. I dunno why...
    Me too!
    "No Day But Today"-RENT