Thread: Tom Hanks producing 6 seasons of American Gods for HBO?

Super Moderator

United States

Tom Hanks producing 6 seasons of American Gods for HBO?

Tom Hanks possibly producing multiple seasons based off of Gaiman's American Gods novel.

http://io9.com/5811012/tom-hanks-pro...n-gods-for-hbo

The series-in-development, revolving around the question "are you a god if no one believes in you?" is executive produced by [Gary] Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest [...] American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. "There are some crazy things in there. We'll probably be doing more effects in there than it's been done on a television series," said Goetzman.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I'm not sure how they're gonna stretch the book out for 6 seasons of 10-12 episodes, even if they add the material from Anasi Boys.

Perhaps a scriptwriting commitment from Mr.Gaiman?
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    And if he thought he caught a lot of shite from christian extremists for "The DaVinci Code", what do you reckon the fallout will be fro this? (not that he's overly worried I'm sure, just a passing thought.)

Undisclosed
    Tom Hanks is actually doing something that isn't about WWII? Wow.

Undisclosed
    American Gods is an old favorite of mine, I hope they don't mess it up. The characters of Shadow and Wednesday are critical so the wrong actors will kill it. I don't get HBO so will have to wait till the dvds come out. Oh well...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    American Gods is an old favorite of mine, I hope they don't mess it up. The characters of Shadow and Wednesday are critical so the wrong actors will kill it. I don't get HBO so will have to wait till the dvds come out. Oh well...
    So this is one to watch then is it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So this is one to watch then is it?
    Well, if they manage to capture the spirit of the novel; yes!!!
    It's easily one of Gaiman's best novels. Very much recommended if you haven't read it yet.
    Last edited by krisvds; 16-Jun-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelinck mizteekz

United States
    Very cool. HBO seems the place to go for good Fantasy series right now. True Blood, Game of Thrones, and now this! I havn't read the books, but my sister is all about them. Been meaning to give them a whirl at some time.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Well, if they manage to capture the spirit of the novel; yes!!!
    It's easily one of Gaiman's best novels. Very much recommended if you haven't read it yet.
    Well, just finished the book.... Didn't really do it for me I'm afraid
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, just finished the book.... Didn't really do it for me I'm afraid
    I was planning to read it but now i am not sure