Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Katana... It's really NOT a Lightsaber y'know!

United States

Katana... It's really NOT a Lightsaber y'know!

Why are there so many Z-films that depict at least one character weilding a katana with the skill of a Samurai and severing limbs with each stroke as if it's some kind of Star Wars Lightsaber? (rhetorical Q... I think that I know the answer lol).

A katana would in my opinion actually be one of the more inefficient zombie apocalype weapons to use. No, it will not sever heads and limbs with each chance stroke. It will instead inflict gashes and cuts to flesh with the deeper strikes getting stuck in bone. Hell, KNIVES get easily stuck in bone although axes or hatchets do not.

A bat would be more to my liking. Not the fluttering cave-dwelling kind, but rather the baseball wooden type lolz.

So... WHY ARE THERE ALWAYS KATANA JEDI IN EVERY BLASTED Z-FLICK? WHY?????
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 18-Sep-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Super Moderator

United States
    I don't want to get too far into this conversation, due to possible spoilers for both the comic (I still need to catch up on like 18 months of back issues of TWD) and the TV show, but the only thing that really annoyed me about our very special TWD katana wielding character is that she had one of the super serial Unbreakable Katanas™, you know the one that was apparently folded 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times and could probably cut a panzer in half without a scratch.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    lol yep bro! Couldn't possibly agree more with you!

I mean if some level of zombie breakout WERE to occur (in theory), I'd advise that survivors grab a tennis racket before reaching for the replica of a katana. Unless of course the survivor is in the mountains of Japan and actually finds a real katana, but even then I'd recommend reaching for a nice club instead of the ancient blade.

Being that I've never read the comic of TWD, I'm assuming that they offer a reasonable explanation why the hooded chick is a killer Samurai. Oh yeah btw, what's with her taking her Walkers our for walkies? Are they named Fido & Spot? My guess is that their rotting odor masks her living one? Or are they merely trophies?
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 18-Sep-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Because Katanas are awesome. And zombies are awesome, Duh! Put the two together & it doesn't get much better. Except for...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Because Katanas are awesome. And zombies are awesome, Duh! Put the two together & it doesn't get much better. Except for...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I haven't read the comics, but this character they presented in the Season 2 finale might just be something that'll get me off this show. These kind of characters fit into late 80's, early 90's direct-to-video action films. But here? Ridiculous!

It should be noted that I'm seriously fed up with the japanese fanboyism. All these clichés about honorable samurai and super ninjas. It's idiotic and unrealistic. Come on, look at yourself, believing popular crap media like that!

A samurai sword would in no ways be better off than any other sword, and in some ways worse.

If you want blades, get a machete... Not a stupid katana made from brittle japanese steel.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post

If you want blades, get a machete... Not a stupid katana made from brittle japanese steel.
    Yeah, my wife is from El Salvador. I've seen way too many pics and vids of how easily those things make someone's head look pretty unrecognizable to never ever want to ever come in contact with one...ever.

Unless I'm the one wielding it.

Now I wonder how well a zombie outbreak would fare down there, as everyone seemed to have one on them when I last went.

Ireland
    Um...I can't think of another zombie flick with a katana in it.

I always thought that Michone was a pretty crap character to begin with though. She gets better later on, but the katana rubbish was just comic nerd masturbation TBH.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Dang, couldn't they figure out how to put a few more unnecessary profanities on this chainsaw Katana advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    lol yep bro! Couldn't possibly agree more with you!

I mean if some level of zombie breakout WERE to occur (in theory), I'd advise that survivors grab a tennis racket before reaching for the replica of a katana. Unless of course the survivor is in the mountains of Japan and actually finds a real katana, but even then I'd recommend reaching for a nice club instead of the ancient blade.

Being that I've never read the comic of TWD, I'm assuming that they offer a reasonable explanation why the hooded chick is a killer Samurai. Oh yeah btw, what's with her taking her Walkers our for walkies? Are they named Fido & Spot? My guess is that their rotting odor masks her living one? Or are they merely trophies?
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
    could probably cut a panzer in half without a scratch.
    lol!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The katana is all anyone focuses on when thinking of Michonne for some reason. She's actually a great character without the sword. Besides, I don't find the katana any less believable than driving a two inch pocket knife through a human skull with ease. There are plenty of unrealistic things in zombie fiction, so I personally don't see how a big sword is any less believable.

As someone else mentioned, what other zombie movie characters carry a katana? I'm drawing a blank on that one....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The katana is all anyone focuses on when thinking of Michonne for some reason. She's actually a great character without the sword. Besides, I don't find the katana any less believable than driving a two inch pocket knife through a human skull with ease. There are plenty of unrealistic things in zombie fiction, so I personally don't see how a big sword is any less believable.

As someone else mentioned, what other zombie movie characters carry a katana? I'm drawing a blank on that one....
    Same here, can't really think of any other katana wielding zombie movie characters either. But i do understand the concerns about how Michonne will play out on tv. I like her character in the comic, especially when she is not using the katana but still: her slaying the undead with that katana, wearing that cape is very pubescent geekish. Could potentially kill what grittiness they regained after that long stretch of too safe 'little house on the prairie' episodes in series two only to replace it with silly videogame stuff. Probably wont be anything that bad (i hope) but that first teaser of her effortlessly slaying those two zombies indoors and that 'swooooosh' sound effect was NOT very encouraging ...
    Last edited by krisvds; 19-Sep-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    Dang, couldn't they figure out how to put a few more unnecessary profanities on this chainsaw Katana advertisement.
    Profanity makes everything better.

Gosh darn it.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 19-Sep-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: aw shucks

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm all-for Michonne in the show, and from the glimpses we've had, she doesn't look comic bookish in the bad sense - she looks pretty scary in a way, but in the sort of way that you'd much prefer to be her cohort, than any shade of enemy to her. Michonne knows the score - she's a true survivalist and acts on instinct - she knows her to handle herself and those around her, but that doesn't mean she's invulnerable (as readers of the comics will recognise from the Prison arc).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they work her character into the show ... she always struck me as a kind of Clint Eastwood (except female) character from the westerns. They speak briefly and only when necessary, they can eye-up a scene and know exactly what to do, there's no faffing about with them - and in the case of Michonne, she's ideally suited to the zombie apocalypse.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I actually agree that Michonne is a great character, hell I've even said she was genuinely believable in her emotionally shutdown and compartmentalized approach...appropriate for a survivor who has been through so much trauma and realizes not feeling and just acting is often the key to survival. The sword doesn't bother me either...just its unbreakable status.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany