Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 4x02 "Infected" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 4x02 "Infected" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

The second episode of season four!

Please keep all talk of episode 4x02 "Infected" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Administrator

England
    So we'll find if Harry Potter's death is pig related and/or bloody eye zombies related... Cool!

BUT, I do hope we're not getting some new thing as daft as zombie super smell!

ps: Needless to say, I won't be back in this thread for a few days as I don't want to read any spoilers
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Rick Grimes is rearmed. Thank God. Good stuff

United States
    Dark and gloomy. Good stuff indeed.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    That troublesome girl who liked naming zombies was the one feeding them! I'm calling it. Now she's armed with a knife! I don't trust her...

Other then that, I thought it was a good episode.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    That troublesome girl who liked naming zombies was the one feeding them! I'm calling it. Now she's armed with a knife! I don't trust her...

Other then that, I thought it was a good episode.
    Lizzie's character and motives seem strangely familiar to something from the comics.

One of the twins who murdered his own brother and Carl secretly takes him out.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Lizzie's character and motives seem strangely familiar to something from the comics.

One of the twins who murdered his own brother and Carl secretly takes him out.
    I actually thought the same things judging from the Comic Con trailer alone. That actress is perfect casting for

playing the role of a simultaneously psychotic and innocent child. Her face is really creepy, she's a great actress for her age. Bet she ends up gutting her sister, too.

Gotta love the Day of the Dead reference when the first victim of Harry Potter is getting out of his prison bunk and his guts spill out.

Dead

United States
    Another mediocre episode.

But at least now we're seeing the logical conclusion of love in the apocalypse.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post

I really don't understand what you're looking for if you thought that was mediocre. It was good, not great; but mediocre?

This one really had the comic vibe going for it.

United States
    Props to Carol. She has the necessary killer instinct which is a far cry from her running along the fence and helpless at season 2 finale. I liked this episode.

I will not speak of the sneak peak for next week but holy fucking shit!!!

United States

Ok ok, I gave you the benefit of the doubt last episode and we debated and respected your opinion

But now..........

You are just grasping at straws trying to pick this show apart. If you like to be a hater you should check out imdb.com
    This was a solid episode, gritty and depressing as can be. A transition episode for things to come but apocalyptic as can be.
    I don't get your point or what you want from it but I think this season is on the right track.
    I mean for gods sake, it's not like you're watching "Return of the Living Dead" here, the writers and actors are giving us some good solid storytelling.
    Last edited by Harleydude666; 21-Oct-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Corrections

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Ok ok, I gave you the benefit of the doubt last episode and we debated and respected your opinion

But now..........
    You say that as if respecting someones opinion is a special privilege instead of common courtesy, or the rule.

You are just grasping at straws trying to pick this show apart. If you like to be a hater you should check out imdb.com
    This was a solid episode, gritty and depressing as can be. A transition episode for things to come but apocalyptic as can be.
    I don't get your point or what you want from it but I think this season is on the right track.
    I mean for gods sake, it's not like you're watching "Return of the Living Dead" here, the writers and actors are giving us some good solid storytelling.
    I'm just not feeling it like I did with seasons 1 and 2. Maybe something is off with the whole prison atmosphere.

But regardless, all I said was it's a mediocre episode IMO. You don't have to agree, and I'm not singling you out because you don't. I don't take issue with the fact that you don't feel the same as I do.
    But it is starting to seem like my opinion is an issue for you. Not entirely sure why that is.

United States
    You say that as if respecting someones opinion is a special privilege instead of common courtesy, or the rule.

I'm just not feeling it like I did with seasons 1 and 2. Maybe something is off with the whole prison atmosphere.

But regardless, all I said was it's a mediocre episode IMO. You don't have to agree, and I'm not singling you out because you don't. I don't take issue with the fact that you don't feel the same as I do.
    But it is starting to seem like my opinion is an issue for you. Not entirely sure why that is.
    Umm, maybe because you just said the episode was mediocre and you didn't expand on that. Why? What didn't you like? Why was it mediocre? What was in the first season that is missing in this one. If anything to me I'm liking the prison arc more than ever watching the walkers push against the fence. It's showing that it is very vulnerable now, we didn't get that last year.
    This episode had some great atmosphere, wasn't sure I was buying into the "new threat" but I am now, we don't know who's safe.
    I'm not sure and I'm not trying cast aspersions here but it sounds like you don't even enjoy the show. If not, why watch? Curious
    And if you are truly a fan, what keeps you coming back being that you thought only the first two seasons were worth watching.

Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I really don't understand what you're looking for if you thought that was mediocre. It was good, not great; but mediocre?

This one really had the comic vibe going for it.
    I prefer the episodes where they aren't restricted to the prison for the entire episode. That's the major turn-off for me. That began on a smaller scale when they were stuck on the farm in season2. But not nearly as bad because there was other shit going on.
    Even if they just gave us some flashbacks to what people were doing or going through earlier in the outbreak. It's almost like they can't really afford to shoot in open air locations anymore besides the prison yard. So the majority of what we see takes place in the same cell block of the prison, and a little bit out in the yard, and on occasion driving in a car on a road, and if we're lucky, some scenes inside a different building like the big spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Umm, maybe because you just said the episode was mediocre and you didn't expand on that. Why? What didn't you like? Why was it mediocre? What was in the first season that is missing in this one. If anything to me I'm liking the prison arc more than ever watching the walkers push against the fence. It's showing that it is very vulnerable now, we didn't get that last year.
    This episode had some great atmosphere, wasn't sure I was buying into the "new threat" but I am now, we don't know who's safe.
    I'm not sure and I'm not trying cast aspersions here but it sounds like you don't even enjoy the show. If not, why watch? Curious
    And if you are truly a fan, what keeps you coming back being that you thought only the first two seasons were worth watching.
    I was very specific in last weeks thread, and you still took issue. But like you said, you did me a favor and respected my opinion. And now you're saying that the reason you take issue with my opinion is because I wasn't specific enough this week.
    OK. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and play along.

What made season 1 and 2 different was the writing IMO. I cared about the characters, the circumstances and the decisions they had to make. That's just not the case now. The only characters that are written in a way that makes you care about them even a little, are protected. Rick, Carl, and Daryl. And you know none of them are gonna die anytime soon. The rest of them are expendable. Even Maggie and Glen. The only thing that keeps those 2 relevant is the romance factor between them. And that doesn't matter to me. Then the other ones like Herschel, Carol, Beth, Tyreese, Sasha, they're roles at this point are totally insignificant and unsubstantial that it wouldn't matter if they died.

Then there's the storyline. Same old shit. This season so far feels like a remix of season 3. They have 1 goal. To keep the prison going. And it isn't even split up into smaller goals to achieve that. They had the supply run last episode, but that was really just a plot device to show the walkers falling through the ceiling and the action that ensued. It's not like we knew how low on supplies they were, and cared whether or not they succeeded in the run. It was eye candy, and the characters that died were cannon fodder. They're just showing us things without making us care about the situation or the people involved.

In the season 3 opener, they discover the prison and we want to see how they take it over, they fight the walkers hand to hand and we like seeing how they do it. In "Clear", they're trying to acheive the goal of getting more guns for the battle we think is imminent. But that battle turns into an episode of the A-Team.
    It's to the point now where I find myself wanting the prison to be overrun and major characters die so that they're forced to flee the prison.

They need to make us care more about what they're doing. Instead of pacifying people with gore and action and useless drama. Drama is part of the story, but it should be more substantial. Like the father of the 2 girls that died this week. We never even saw him before, we didn't know he was the father of these girls, and we only saw these girls for a few minutes last episode. We didn't even know their names until this week. And we're supposed to care about this unknown guy dying, and believe the plight of the girls that we barely saw before this? It's just so ineffective at this point.

As to why I continue watching. Well, it still has its moments, and I keep hoping it will get better. Also the scenes they show in Talking Dead for the next episode. They keep me coming back. Like the sneek peak for next week. That will probably end up being the final few minutes of the episode though.
    And because I love zombie flicks and the apocalypse. I wanna like the show more, I wanna be excited for it from week to week like I was during the first 2 seasons. And it troubles me that that's not the case anymore.
    Last edited by babomb; 21-Oct-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Another very good episode - and surprisingly emotional too - even though we don't know the girls' father's name, the scene was still emotional - I liked how Carol very swiftly moved into 'hack the infection off' mode, but then the neck bite sealed the deal.

Comic plot theory:

Aye, I think this could be an adaptation of the 'psycho sibling' bit from the comics - Carl's been on a good streak without killing, and then he'll have the moral quandary of dealing with Lizzie ... if that is indeed how it goes down.

It was quite tense generally - will Patrick walker get Karen? There was some good tension building there, the appropriate number of near-misses and psych-outs.

I will say that the staging of the D Block infection was a tad problematic - I'm not entirely clear on who was in there and how did nobody hear what was going on (nobody screamed? would the walkers always go for the throat?) ... I did like that Patrick's first kill went for the throat - no sound as a result - although they could have had the guy move a bit more. So the infection of D Block is a bit unclear in certain ways, but at the same time I'm willing to not get overly complex on the specific mechanics of the scene and just enjoy the drama of it all (I also liked that one guy locked himself in because he was a sleep walker).

Lots of interesting themes going on - Carol having to take on the children, them reminded her of Sophia, but also having a strong resolve for the practicalities of the situation in order to survive a deadly (or potentially deadly) situation ... but will that insistence come back to haunt her? Carl versus violence - pushed into saving Michonne - and then getting his gun back, along with Rick, who has obviously been parent first, leader second in the intervening months, trying to keep Carl on the straight and narrow and not let him become a nutjob (quite rightly) ... and oh my, the scene with Rick sacrificing the pigs ... that was a tough watch ... but even walkers love bacon.

The scene with Michonne and Judith - that was powerful stuff too. Clearly Michonne must have lost a child at some point, perhaps even a baby, perhaps a miscarriage, or a still birth? A good little bit of suggestion at her past without over-doing it, and a really good scene for Guirira to play.

Ah-ha - so it was Karen who bit the dust - the comic con trailers are always very tricksy in their editing, so Sasha is okay (for now anyway!), but it was Karen on the ground ... but ooh - two bodies burned, and seemingly slaughtered first.

So we've got a three-fold threat:

1) Too many walkers (and someone feeding them) on the fences (that was a tense scene too!).
    2) Killer flu.
    3) Nutjob inside the prison killing people off - perhaps using the opportunity of an apparent epidemic to potentially cover their tracks and get away with it. Clearly that was the work of a bad apple ... who will it be ... time shall tell.

Lots going on in that episode - very good stuff indeed.