Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very disturbing ps3 news

Canada

very disturbing ps3 news

'PS3 Cell Chips Somewhat Unreliable
    7/13/2006, 5:08pm Eastern Time

Speaking with Electronic News’s Ed Sperling, Tom Reeves, vice president of semiconductor and technology services for IBM, said that defects are a huge problem with the Cell processor chip, which is one of the major components of the PlayStation 3.

”It becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is,” he says. “With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent.”

Reeves also says that if more than one of the eight cores on the Cell processor should be blown during use, that’s it for the system. “If it’s within warranty, you send it back. If it’s not, your game doesn’t work anymore.”

that rough, and here i thought the 360 launch was pretty rough, i can only imagine how ****ed off some people will be when one of those cells burns out.
    it seems sony is reallyy trying to hard to out gen everyone, and ultimately may be there demise.

Fiji
    points and snickers.

i talked to one of my buddies about an hour ago. he is or perhaps was a huge Playstation fan. after all of these debacles with the PS3, he's converting to an xbox this summer.

United States
    *sticks with 360 and PC*

Why is it that I want Sony to fail right now? They gave me such joy with PS1 and 2, but I want 3 to fall flat on it's face, strange huh.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    *sticks with 360 and PC*

Why is it that I want Sony to fail right now? They gave me such joy with PS1 and 2, but I want 3 to fall flat on it's face, strange huh.
    Easy, it seems with the PS3 they've forgotten that its the gamers that matter and not the system. With the PS3 they seem to think that because of the fanbase the first two systems built that the PS3 will succeed right off the bat and blow every competition out of the water. They've gotten beyond arrogant and gotten to the point that one of its executives commented that the system could be released right now with no games and people will still buy it.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    Easy, it seems with the PS3 they've forgotten that its the gamers that matter and not the system. With the PS3 they seem to think that because of the fanbase the first two systems built that the PS3 will succeed right off the bat and blow every competition out of the water. They've gotten beyond arrogant and gotten to the point that one of its executives commented that the system could be released right now with no games and people will still buy it.

it's the arrogance that killed me. the fact they expect everyone to buy a system that's barely finished. with tech that may or may not work. it's absurd.

i'm still a fan of sony's electronics and of the psp. when they get something right it just sings, the psp is proof enough of that. but this entire debacle with the ps3 is just galling. the fact they are completely unrepetant about what a colossal **** up this thing is amazes me.

oh yeah, and that they've not issued a statement to quell the rumors that some Gen one ps3 games could run in excess of $75 for a single game. it just can't be true. but the longer they leave this rumor alone the more it becomes possibly true.

and who the hell is going to pay $75 for a game. it could come with a free lunch from quiznos and a handy. for $75, they can keep it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i loved my ps2 with games like ffX ,silent hill 2 and vice city, but the ps3 is so freakin' lame, it blatantly chav'd (nicked) the xbox live and wii idea and this is just more news to show that its primary audience is skin'ed yobs who play nothing but fifa 06' and act like the gay couple who presented gamesville on sky one.
    ive got a 360 and ive allready pre ordered a wii, screw the ps3 ,its actually using muliplatform games as a selling/ luanch point if thats a sign of weakness i dont know what is, final fnatsy 13?, who cares id rather see the new online crystal chronicles on the wii instead dont get me wrong linear fantasy games rock its just getting stale, so selling whats essentially ff12 with a dash of ff8 thrown in isnt pulling me in, plus metal gear 4's gonna come out on the wii and 360 like the others on the xbox and cube'.

sonys going the way of sega...

....except they cant make games either, so i guessed there screwed

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    and who the hell is going to pay $75 for a game. it could come with a free lunch from quiznos and a handy. for $75, they can keep it.
    But why would you need a free lunch from Quiznos when the system can grill you a burger. *rimshot*
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullaryx
    But why would you need a free lunch from Quiznos when the system can grill you a burger. *rimshot*

OOOOHHHH BURNED!!!

good one.

Super Moderator

UK
    HA! Another f*ck up, well done Sony, you bunch of idiots!

Damn ... these guys are really screwing this up aren't they? The familiar smell of Sega's demise is returning, and quite frankly, with the sheer arrogance of Sony over the PS3 I'm damn glad PS3 is going to suck huge fat balls.

When I scratch together some peanuts then I'll get myself a 360, screw play$tation!

United States
    *pays some shenmue on sega dreamcast*

...what it was a good system.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides
    *pays some shenmue on sega dreamcast*

...what it was a good system.
    yea it was pretty decent, i just wish sega would of stayed with it abit longer, seganet was pretty good, and they had a solid user base , the last gen games on the cast were far better than what was being released at the time.

kinda sucks that microsoft did sega over.

United States
    I have exteme doubts of a PS4 LMFAO

United States
    Could also be anti-PS3 propaganda. After all isn't IBM one of the main contractors on the Xbox 360?

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter
    Could also be anti-PS3 propaganda. After all isn't IBM one of the main contractors on the Xbox 360?
    ibm is producing all 3 consoles cpu.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    *sticks with 360 and PC*

Wow... I completely agree with you.