Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hypothetical dawn question

Chasing Prey

Canada

hypothetical dawn question

lets say someone decided to make a real remake of it. not shot for shot but the same story as the original. what would u change (small thing) and who would your cast be?

i got a cast for ya...

Peter - Colin Salmon
    Stephen - Jake Weber or David Duchovny
    Fran - Sarah Polley
    Roger - Steve Zahn or Scott Caan

Director...... idk...

i'd make the film as intended complete with alternate ending of peter and fran dying. copter blades anyone?

mall would have to be bigger. southbay galleria in california would fit well.

United States
    Wonderful question hm...

Peter - Colin Salmon
    Fran - Jennifer Connolly
    Stephen - Jeremy Sisto
    Roger - Desmond Harrington

I definately wouldn't do it verbatim or even scene by scene. Face it things change with time including the way people talk and behave. I think a more true to the origional remake is a necessity having a small cast is essential and the bonding between Peter and Roger is essential. Another essential would be casting relative unknown actors but I sincerely doubt a studio would want to cast a movie with unknowns and back it with the money they'd need to make a gorearrific flick... so there's my casting choices and did I mention if Tom Savini doesn't reprise his origional role the film shouldn't be made? Ideally i'd like to have a remake turn out Joy Ride style with a variety of alternate endings to boost DVD sales and to give people a taste of what would be a tv series to be filmed in the future (using the ticket sales at the theater and movie sales of course to show HBO or Cinemax there's a total audience waiting for one and chomping at the bit to see one.

The origional does an amazing job showing that you can have everything that you want but hey that's not going to make you happy and i'd like to see a re-creation of that but a bit more embellished. I also would like to see a bit more turmoil between the four of them as they make the choice whether to stay in the all or venture out and just see a bit more action. I'd like to scrap the entire Martinez thing as I feel it doesn't entirely relate to the film. Another possible opening sequence to introduce Roger and Peter would have to be a swat team sitch in a high rise on a rescue mission with more gore and an exciting scene with them fleeing the zombies that have essentially infested the entire building.

As for a director I would like to suggest Sean S. Cunningham or Eli Roth or possibly John Carpenter. Ideally for the alternate endings I'd love to have a variety of directors each choose an ending to film just to give a more colorful perspective on the show.

Possible locations that would be sweet:

Portage Place Mall, Winnipeg, Manitoba (would give an excellent view all over the city of how widespread the zombie epidemic is)

South Coast Plaza Mall, Costa Mesa, California

Beachwood Place Mall, Beachwood, Ohio

or we can go old skool and back to Monroeville Mall
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Chasing Prey

Canada
    im loving your ideas. unknowns are a good idea for the cast. i tried to do it as not really super blockbuster stars or kinda unknown in the states. and for roger and peter i thought a lot about the height.

i was thinkin about carpenter but he'd kinda make it VERY morbid. if you've seen ghosts of mars, you know what i mean. eli roth is excellent,i just hope he doesnt go all saw on it. and yes savini would have to be in it. i'd have to get nicotero or ILM to do the effects.......or both.

i recently was in the monroeville area and they've become VERY strict about letting people in to even take pictures. not even if it has nothin to do with dawn. which sucks. so idk if they'd let them do a movie there again. as a last resort they could build their own mall ala the matrix reloaded when they built their own freeway. they'd have to pool their resources to make this one a GREAT film. romero would be involved in some capacity....i hope. it should be longer by about 15-20 minutes to give more insight or something or give a better ending.

maybe a different scene other than the martinez building? seems kinda out of place really.

and im having a hard time thinkin of setting in now or back in 78.

maybe robert rodriguez could direct?

United States
    I thought a lot about the height between Roger and Peter too because I loved the improv banter between them as they went to get the zombies. Steve Zahn is an amazing actor who can do drama very well (saw him in a Lifetime movie made me look at him lil different) and Scott Caan is awesome but I just dont see him being emotional enough for his death sequence with everyone.

Its a shame that Monroeville is so prudish now... hm... it'd prolly be cheaper to use the mall in Ohio but its in such a conservative area I doubt they'd allow it.

John Carpenter does to dark movies but he also tends to spoof during 'em so I have some reservations. I think Eli is a solid choice because the feeling in Hostel was just totally ...how am I gonna survive this or am I gonna survive this?

If I ever won the lottery or had enough money i'll independantly finance something to this effect with the obvious hope it would be released into theaters but if not... I know where to peddle it

and of course if I had to do indie financing i'd prolly invite every single person from this website to join me and we'd all prolly direct/write/etc... it would be like the all star directing team lol
    Last edited by MissJacksonCA; 17-Jun-2007 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Canada
    Peter- Denzel Washington
    Fran- chow yun fat
    Stephen- Tobey Maguire
    Roger- Danny Devito

there, i think i've covered everything our society needs in a movie nowadays...

a black guy
    a asian
    a fag
    a short fat ugly white guy

hmmm...seems air tight to me...I can imagine the dialogue...

Roger- "We gotta seal up the mall entrances now!"
    Stephen- "I will not do anything you say due to the years o slavery me and my ancestors endured at your races hands"
    Fran- "Ya, and don't forget about all of the asians that died building your rail roads bitch"
    Stephen- "I like to pack fudge, I'll help you Roger"
    Roger- "Goddamnit..."

Undisclosed

Dawn remake cast...

I like thinking of this stuff

I would keep it nearly scene for scene...

If I had to change I would make everyone die at the end as per the script.

Peter......Vin Diesel
    Fran.......Julliette Lewis
    Stephen..David Arquette
    Roger......Hugh Jackman

Director --Tarintino

Since I am on the way already....

Night...

Ben.........Denzel Washington (most perfect fit, I think he would kill that role)
    Barbara....Hilary Swank
    Cooper.....James Gandofini
    Helen.......Kathy Bates
    Karen.......Daveigh Chase
    Tom.........Leo DeCaprio
    Judy.........Clare Danes

Director.....Spike Lee

DAY...

Sarah......Lorraine Brocco
    John........Ice Cube
    Rhodes.....DeNiro
    McDorment.Steve Buschimi
    Salazar.....John Leguizamo
    Logan.......Jack Black
    Bub..........Kelsey Gramer
    Steele......John Goodman
    Rickles......Michelle Rodrigez
    Fisher.......Val Kilmer

Director....Robert Rodrigez

Dying

walking down the ho chi minh trail,vietnam.
    Undisclosed
    dawn,

1,peter--eddie murphy
    2,roger--micheal.j.fox
    3,fran--elizebeth shue
    4,steven--jim carrey.

director--steven speilberg.
    Last edited by flyboy; 17-Jun-2007 at 09:30 AM.
    hold it flyboy! dont go into the stairway,dont open that door baby you'll lead them right up with you!

ViP

United States
    I've been sticking with this cast for years, so here goes again...

Peter (Michael Jai White) - He's got the looks, attitude and voice, and his martial arts skills lend towards a believable SWAT member.

Roger (Woody Harrelson) - Fits the stature of the original Roger, and is more believable as a SWAT member. Not a bad actor either.

Fran (Cate Blanchett)

Flyboy (David Schwimmer) - Perfect insecure wuss.

capncnut
    That has to be the worst Dawn cast suggestion I have ever seen in my life!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    seconded only cuz the guy that'd play peter is about 5'7'' on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I thought a lot about the height between Roger and Peter too because I loved the improv banter between them as they went to get the zombies. Steve Zahn is an amazing actor who can do drama very well (saw him in a Lifetime movie made me look at him lil different) and Scott Caan is awesome but I just dont see him being emotional enough for his death sequence with everyone.

Its a shame that Monroeville is so prudish now... hm... it'd prolly be cheaper to use the mall in Ohio but its in such a conservative area I doubt they'd allow it.

John Carpenter does to dark movies but he also tends to spoof during 'em so I have some reservations. I think Eli is a solid choice because the feeling in Hostel was just totally ...how am I gonna survive this or am I gonna survive this?

If I ever won the lottery or had enough money i'll independantly finance something to this effect with the obvious hope it would be released into theaters but if not... I know where to peddle it

and of course if I had to do indie financing i'd prolly invite every single person from this website to join me and we'd all prolly direct/write/etc... it would be like the all star directing team lol

sneaky sneaky!! i've never been to that city in ohio u speak of. as a matter of fact i havent heard of it at all but i'll drive and check it out one day. monroeville pisses me off to no end honestly. ur 10 minutes away from pittsburgh and u did what with the ice rink?!?! same music though, just have goblin do more music.
    Last edited by acealive1; 17-Jun-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think he's spot on to cast schimmer as stephen. He could effortlessly pull that type of character off.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think he's spot on to cast schimmer as stephen. He could effortlessly pull that type of character off.
    He played a similar role in Band of Brothers, reminded me of Flyboy a lot.

United States
    Schwimmer may look like a total tool just like Stephen but he doesn't look capable enough to be a helicopter pilot.

Yea Ace you gotta check out Beachwood Place mall its sweet (first Nordstroms store in Ohio I do believe) but what would make it great for a zombie flick is that it twists and turns and has lots of corners and blind spots and a good lot of the stores are all glass (as so many are these days) on the interior and theres several with glass windows on the outside (with no roll down security bars mind you) and there's some underground parking I think (its been exactly 7 years since I was there) so it would have a lot of obstacles for the characters to overcome to create an atmosphere of safety.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Michael Jai White was a good call! I was having real trouble finding someone who could play Peter, but Michael Jai White could. Damn, I gotta rewatch Spawn tonight. Guilty pleasure!

So, here goes:

Peter - Michael Jai White
    Fran - Hilary Swank
    Stephen - James Spader
    Roger - Aaron Eckhart
    Blades - Neil McDonough

Maybe a bit too star riddled? I figure Hilary Swank would be the most expensive of them, followed by Aaron Eckhart and James Spader. Michael Jai would probably work for free. I'm sick of seeing Neil McDonough playing the ever-so-disciplined soldier. I want to see him play a crazy, violent biker.

The music would be very important. And infact, it's so important I'd probably hire an Italian. Ennio Morricone. Give us a mix of retro-synth and sad chorus.

Director. I could take the easy way and just say John Carpenter, but I want someone from this generation. Either M. Night Shyamalan (just have someone else write his script!) or Victor Salva (and don't hire any young boys!).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    He played a similar role in Band of Brothers, reminded me of Flyboy a lot.

Exactly. The character of flyboy just seemed overmatched and unsure of himself with everything he did, except fly the whirly bird. Just picture schwimmer in the boiler room wasting all his ammo shooting at shadows.