Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360: Premium, Elite or Halo Edition?

United States

Xbox 360: Premium, Elite or Halo Edition?

Okay, so I'm about to pick up a 360 within the next week or so, and I'm pretty set on the Elite model. I am mainly interested in the Elite due to my HDTV and the included HDMI cable, the 120gb hard-drive, and the wireless controller.

However, I am still hearing horror stories about these things overheating, even the new Elite models, and many are saying the Premium package is the way to go instead, as there is no sense in wasting an extra hundred bucks. As for the Premium, I know that this version only has a 20gb hard-drive and no HDMI cable included. It does have the wireless controller, though. The Halo Edition also doesn't have an included HDMI cable, and its hard-drive is only 20gb, but comes with a wireless controller plus the plug n play kit.

Money really isn't that big of an issue, but I don't want to waste any $$$ unnecessarily. Is the Elite model really worth it? Do I really need that much more memory? I know that if I don't get the Elite, I may have to shell out addtional $$$ for an HDMI cable. If I don't get the Halo Edition, I'll need to pick up a plug n play kit.

I want to leave the store with a 360, Dead Rising, and Halo 3 and a wireless headset. If I just got the Premium, I could do this much sooner....

So my questions are these: which version of the system do you guys own? If you were in my shoes, which route would you take? Is the extra memory really worth it? Do any of you own an HDTV and just use the HD AV component/composite cables?

Thanks in advance for your help, brothers.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 29-Oct-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I own the Core Console, because it suited my needs. I don't play online (nor would I actually be able to come to think of it, something to do with the type of internet connection required, I duno...)

Anyway, I just wanted it for single player games to continue my gaming as my PC had finally been overtaken with the next gen coming along (or 2 players in the same room).

I don't have a HDTV, so I just use the normal red-white-yellow leads.

If you're not going to be downloading a shedload of stuff from Live, then a 20gig one should be fine I'd have thought. I'd generally go with what's recommended, but I don't really know anything about the Elite version anyway to be honest. Surely a separate HDMI cable isn't that expensive.

Basically, just think about what you'll really be using the console for, and then see which package best suits your needs. It's what I did and I made the right choice for me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i recommend the halo one since its cheaper than the elite, but theres no cahnce its a refurbished one thats been traded in.

capncnut
    Elite or Halo. The Elite is jet black and looks way cooler IMO.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you feel like taking a huge risk, then buy one. If you do buy one, then go with the Elite because they're less of a risk, apparently. I hear the fail rate of the systems is ONE IN THREE. Which does not surprise me, seeing as I've had two break on me, another friend has had one break, and another friend has gone through FIVE; these are all within a years time.

Microsoft did a horrible job with this console. If the Elite versions of the 360 fail just as much as the others, then I really have lost the last little bit of respect for them.

Undisclosed
    I have the premium version, because at the time there was only 2 to choose from. Halo edition is a waste of money in my opinion. For a little more you can get the elite version. If not, save your money and get the premium.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    true, over here i think the halo one is only 20 quid less than an elite.

...or 20 quid more than a premium.

Undisclosed
    Oh yeah, get some rechargeable batteries.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^ id go for the 15 quid charger pack myself.

capncnut
    Actually, I got my Elite a couple of months ago and I've just changed the batteries for the first time. But yeah, I guess the charger is well worth it in the long run.

Undisclosed
    I boughta premium the day it came out and have not had a problem with it...knock on wood. I do a little gaming online but due to bandwidth restrictions I do not download as much as I would like to. I would go for the elite for the simple reason of HDMI and 120 Gig HD... why buy something that is already the last model why not buy the 2008 version

Good Luck

BTW you must try dead rising!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    I boughta premium the day it came out and have not had a problem with it...knock on wood. I do a little gaming online but due to bandwidth restrictions I do not download as much as I would like to. I would go for the elite for the simple reason of HDMI and 120 Gig HD... why buy something that is already the last model why not buy the 2008 version

Good Luck

I've been lucky. I got pro 360 at launch and have never had any problems (knock on wood). You sorta, kinda have to do that so you don't jinx it. lol
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    trust me, skip: dead rising is the first game i'm playin when i get home that day.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    trust me, skip: dead rising is the first game i'm playin when i get home that day.
    Thank goodness you have a HD TV 'cos the text is a bizatch!
    Last edited by capncnut; 30-Oct-2007 at 04:12 AM.

United States
    I say the Halo edition, it is made with the new Falcon chip and it is less likely to overheat. IT does come with the HD component cable, but not the HDMI cables that you want.

Plus it comes with a headset and the charge and play kit. It is not the wireless headset, but it is much more comfortable than the wirelss headset. The wireless headset has a clip that attaches to your ear that is terribley uncomfortable much like those blue tooth cell phone headsets.

The downside of the Halo edition, it comes with 10 gigs already loaded up with Halo stuff. It's easy to delete and honestly 20gb total is more than enough unless your going to keep every single demo you download (there aren't a lot of game patches).

The elite is supposed to be made with the better chipset too and up until I read this post I did not hear of any of them failing, in fact, the guy at Gamestop told me they have never had a return on a single elite unit at the store he is at... of course he didn't tell me how many they had sold so it could have been they havent sold many.

SO basically, do you want sweet Black Xbox 360 or a cool looking Millitary Green and Gold Xbox360?
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190