Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: controversial post....NOTLD 68 = over-rated?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

controversial post....NOTLD 68 = over-rated?

hahahah I know I am going to get kicked for this...but I've never really liked the original NOTLD....now don't get me wrong, i see it for all its virtues - for all the breakthroughs that it pioneered and all the new ideas that the movie introduced cinema goers to....well I just don't enjoy it that much....I know this is heresy - but I prefer Savini's remake...!!!!!

*shrinks back into corner*

Chasing Prey

Canada
    may god have mercy............

i prefer the remake too as i can identify with it since it was made in my lifetime. but to say the original is over rated is a bit far fetched.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can understand why someone would prefer the remake over the original. SOMETIMES I do prefer the remake, but the original has much better atmosphere.

Out of Romero's films, Night is usually the last one I watch. I don't know if it's because I've seen it so many times, but it just doesn't get watched that much.

Wouldn't it be great if someone said that Night 3D was their favorite?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    @ bassman: now THAT'S far fetched!!

OK maybe over rated is wrong, but then again I definitely don't rate it as high as the other movies, so in the context of my personal feelings it feels over rated to me...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if someone said that Night 3D was their favorite?
    It will never be over-rated. Just a matter of to each his or her own.

Trust me - someone, somewhere probably does think Night 3D is their favorite. It's a disturbing world.

Thankfully no one likes the 30th anniversary not even people who had lobotomys.

Norway
    I was going to make a joke about how I was this huge 30th anniversary fan but my fingers just went numb. I just could not do it!
    I like the original best the best thing about the remake is the woman that play Barbera she is very talented and beautiful. The remake was a great movie but it did not bring any suprises to table like the original did.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    hahahah I know I am going to get kicked for this...but I've never really liked the original NOTLD....now don't get me wrong, i see it for all its virtues - for all the breakthroughs that it pioneered and all the new ideas that the movie introduced cinema goers to....well I just don't enjoy it that much....I know this is heresy - but I prefer Savini's remake...!!!!!
    It's not heresy to say that you don't prefer the original. The movie is 40 years old, and times change. You've recognized what has made the film a classic, and you're simply stating that you don't enjoy it. Fair enough, there is a big difference between that viewpoint and saying "it sucks because I don't like it."

C5NOLD--how many lobotomy-people have you checked with?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Ahh the 30th anniversary edition - am I seriously the only person who thought this version was the best? The new characters told a very good backstory, it brought more intensity and focus to the movie which was previously very fragmented and shabby. The new music really brought mjore atmosp.....

**** I'm sorry, I just can't do it either....

NOTLD 30th Anniversay edition SUCKS!!!!!!!!

United States
    I might get killed for saying this, but I actually think the original Dawn is overrated..... *hides*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I might get killed for saying this, but I actually think the original Dawn is overrated..... *hides*
    Yes. You will be killed. Delete that post immediately.

But seriously....dawn isn't my favorite, but you have to respect what it did. It's the Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia of zombie films.
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Jan-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yes. You will be killed. Delete that post immediately.

But seriously....dawn isn't my favorite, but you have to respect what it did. It's the Godfather or Lawrence of Arabia of zombie films.
    Now, now I didn't say anything about it not being good. I agree it's the ultimate zombie film! It just that some people(I don't mean here) give it so much praise and say the other ones in the series aren't worth seeing because they suck. I mean I can understand why people do not like Day(with not being enough zombies and all) and Land( who would? ) but saying Night sucks? That's just not true! There wouldn't even be a Dawn without Night! But yeah I agree Dawn is awesome the ultimate zombie film like I said. I just think it's just a little.....just a little bitty .....overrated.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Calling any particular film overated is a subjective opinion as many might disagree. However, there is room to call a film overated and still recognize it as a classic. For example, most would say that the original godfather is an all time classic. Conversely, I find it to be unwatchable but I still recognize that it's a classic if for no other reason that the impact it has had on cinema and beyond. One could say it even trancends the medium in which it was created.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I for long viewed Night as somewhat of an unwanted child as well. I respected and understood the impact it had on the horror genre, but the music was below par and Barbaras character was just not something I could sympathize with.

Lately, I've found myself enjoying it more and more.

United States
    night 68 is my all time favorite horror film, and the remake is in my top five. neither can be fuc (ked with, and both will have a spot on that list until the day i die....

*beats chest like king kong*

but that's just my opinion.

England
    Another heretic checking in...I watch and enjoy Night 1990 far more than the 68 original (make no mistake though, the original is a classic).

I just find that Tony Todd's portrayal of Ben in Night 90 is absolutely world class, he makes the role his own, I've never seen an actor pour so much heart and soul into a role, the man is a legend.

I love what they did with Barbara as well, and although Carl Hardman is and always will be the definitive "Mr Cooper", I think that Tom Towles does a damn good at giving us one of the most hated and pitifull characters in any GAR movie.

Oh, and SymphonicX - Don't even joke about it brother...good way to get yerself lynched!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon