Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God this sort of (astronomical) news depresses the hell out of me...

Administrator

England

God this sort of (astronomical) news depresses the hell out of me...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7183563.stm

We'll know so little more than we do now before I die

I want to see what other planets look like... I want to see what other life looks like... I want to talk to something from elsewhere...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I know exactly what you mean. There is so much vastness out there, so much to see and discover but our technology is such that it will be doubtful our generation (plus kids and grandkids) will see anything outside of the solar system. The distance is staggering. For example, it could take hundreds of years for Voyager 2 (which was launched in the 70's) to leave the solar system entirely and even then, contact with it will be long since dead. The theoretical Oort Cloud could be up to five times the distance from the Sun to Pluto...

...but we can see these things outside our domain. And it's fascinating. We can only hope a major technological advance will occur sometime soon. The information of what is known about our solar system and beyond has come along in leaps and bounds in recent years, and that makes it all the more interesting. But nonetheless depressing.
    Last edited by capncnut; 11-Jan-2008 at 10:02 PM.

England
    I doubt we will ever make contact with other beings, I don't doubt that they exist, I just don't ever see any communication between races or us even having the ability to locate each other or come up with a viable way of speaking if we did.

Space is so God damn vast!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    They could always come to us.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Its always been a dream of mine to gain some sort of ability whereby I lose the physical elements of my life, and fly up to the stars and literally get right up close to one....or imagine hovering just above the rings of Saturn where millions of particles and debris are being span around at an unbelievable rate...or witnessing first hand the implosion of a star and the subsequent blackhole....amazing...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Its always been a dream of mine to gain some sort of ability whereby I lose the physical elements of my life, and fly up to the stars and literally get right up close to one....or imagine hovering just above the rings of Saturn where millions of particles and debris are being span around at an unbelievable rate...or witnessing first hand the implosion of a star and the subsequent blackhole....amazing...
    Somewhat like Carl Sagan's 'ship of the imagination' in the TV series of Cosmos...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    neil you will see an image of an exoplanet in your life time. the next generation of space telescopes are going to make hubble look like a magnifying glass. the one is especially interested in is the terrestrial planet finder - which will be able to detect earth sized planets around stars within a few hundred light years of earth.

we have already measured the atmosphere of one exoplanet. the TPF will allow the atmospheric content of planets the size of ours to be assessed. once that happens any planet whose atmosphere contains:
    1. carbon dioxide
    2. methane
    3. water vapor
    4. ozone

would in all probability harbor some sort of biological activity.

ozone would the dead give away in combination with the other 3 things. oxygen , if you know anything about chemistry, is one of the most psychotically reactive and nasty elements out there. it reacts (often badly) with just about everything. the only reason that huge amounts of it exist in our atmophere is because it is being constantly replenished. so coupling ozone with CO2, methane and water vapor would be tantamount to a smoking gun.

cheer up folks - 106 years ago people couldn't even do something as basic as fly- until two bicycle shop owning brothers from dayton, ohio did something about it. hell, 200 years ago everyone was crapping in buckets. so who can tell what even the next 40 years will bring?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    I'm curious about technology 10-20 years from now. Especially, electronics and nanotechnology.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I'm curious about technology 10-20 years from now. Especially...nanotechnology.
    resistance is futile. you will be assimilated.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    neil you will see an image of an exoplanet in your life time. the next generation of space telescopes are going to make hubble look like a magnifying glass. the one is especially interested in is the terrestrial planet finder - which will be able to detect earth sized planets around stars within a few hundred light years of earth.
    Aren't they doing a 'mod' to the hubble to make it 10x (??) more powerful?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7164139.stm
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Aren't they doing a 'mod' to the hubble to make it 10x (??) more powerful?
    Good stuff, then maybe we can get some juicy far off (but still nonetheless blurry) pics of Pluto and it's three moons. Maybe Sedna and Eris too.

That said New Horizons will arrive at Pluto in seven years, which will be interesting. It made a flyby of Jupiter's moon, Io last Feb and caught some wicked images of Tvashtar erupting.

Administrator

England
    Are you sure

A telescope actually seeing a planet even just 10 light years away sounds rather scifi for me!

Remember the resolution hubble looking at just the moon is like a 100 meters or something...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7183563.stm

We'll know so little more than we do now before I die

I want to see what other planets look like... I want to see what other life looks like... I want to talk to something from elsewhere...
    This is good news for the chances of finding a terrestrial planet in the Alpha Centauri system. Still won't get there in my lifetime, but we'll probably know for sure whether one exists, and whether it has signs of oxygen and water.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Undisclosed
    resistance is futile. you will be assimilated.
    Hey I won't resist. *L* I would be a test subject right now for nanotechnology if asked.