Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else cave and buy the Survival dvd?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed

Anyone else cave and buy the Survival dvd?

I hoped to pick up the mostly bare bones single disc version that included nothing but a Romero commentary track. Three stores later, it seems that the 2-disc ultimate edition is the only one available for purchase, (while the single disc is available to rent). I have previously shilled out money for deluxe dvd editions before, even for Romero films, but frankly, I don’t need a feature length documentary detailing the making of ‘Survival.’ It’s really, well, just not THAT good of a movie. The Disc 2 documentary has some interesting behind-the-scenes insights, but it’s is mostly disposable. When the host is not trying overly hard to be funny, he shoehorns his own blowhard partisan political views into the making-of doc. My own similar political views notwithstanding, this is out of place. George never passes up a chance to attack Republican politics in his movies. That should be more than enough.

My feelings on the actual movie itself remains mostly the same. I still think that while "Survival" offers up headshots aplenty, it is sadly lacking in the gore department. With George’s writing faculties somewhat dulled, a few more dismemberments can make all the difference between a rental and a buy. "Land Unrated" provides the goods, while "Diary", and now "Survival", sadly come up short. It is, however, one of George’s most beautifully shot movies – whatever the DP got paid was probably not enough. O’Flynn and Muldoon remain two of the most over-the-top scenery chewing characters in Romero’s cannon since Kaufmann, and maybe even Rhodes. As others have noted, upon the main characters arriving on the island the plot gets stuck in neutral. Scenes of the Muldoons teaching the dead to eat pig are reminiscent of Dr. Frankenstein with Bub, and help break-up the monotony, but things don’t really pick-up until the climactic zombie chowfest, which feels strangely underpopulated.

C
    Last edited by ChokeOnEm; 25-Aug-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ChokeOnEm View Post
    George never passes up a chance to attack Republican politics in his movies.
    I knew there was a reason I loved that man!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So the features are no good? Maybe i'll be passing all together on this one after all....

As a big fan of behind the scenes docs, i'm curious if everyone else shares this opinion? If the making of isn't worth it, i'm just not shelling out for this one...

It's a damn shame. If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Aug-2010 at 08:17 PM.

United States
    i don't think i'd even take a copy of survival for free, even if it was signed by mr. romero himself.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it.
    that's signature line worthy. never signature quoted anybody (or really bothered with a signature at all, for that matter) before, but given how shitty survival was and how hard i lol'd at this, i'm going for it. hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 25-Aug-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i don't think i'd even take a copy of survival for free, even if it was signed by mr. romero himself.
    Wow, Prof.! That's hardcore, my friend.

Then again, I used my copy of Diary as a coaster, so I can respect where you may be coming from.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    seriously, doug....watching that movie, i was almost embarrassed for old george....i saw so much wrong in the short 30 minutes i suffered through that i had to turn it off and have lost all faith in romero doing anything even remotely close to his big 3. and i highly doubt his future films will be any better.

kinda seems to me that romero has pulled a move similar to the call of duty and tony hawk video game franchises. over-saturation of material that gets progressively lamer.

Undisclosed
    So the features are no good? Maybe i'll be passing all together on this one after all....

As a big fan of behind the scenes docs, i'm curious if everyone else shares this opinion? If the making of isn't worth it, i'm just not shelling out for this one...

It's a damn shame. If you would've told me 10 years ago that I would be passing up on a new Romero Dead DVD, I would've laughed in your face and called your mother a whore. Now you would have to call my mother a whore if you saw me buying it.
    It had an hour and twenty minute documentary about the making of. I actually enjoyed it, and special features aren't that big of a deal to me. So that's saying something

Playing Devils advocate here. How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    No, the dvd package overall is well done. Upon further thought, the documentary is also fairly good and details Survival's production on a day-to-day basis. If you hate the movie, however, no amount of extras are likely to reduce your suffering. I passed on buying Diary for that exact reason.
    Last edited by ChokeOnEm; 26-Aug-2010 at 01:03 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic?
    What? People aren't boycotting....they are seeing the finished product(s) and expressing their opinion. The new trilogy sucks. It's hard to think it was the same director. I'm not hating, GAR can make movies until he dies but I'm not going to keep giving him money to pump out a shitty product.

I have the utmost respect for GAR, the original trilogy, and several of his other movies, but it stops there.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 26-Aug-2010 at 01:01 AM.

United States
    I agree, I see no reason to boycott it at all..I mean..I WANT to support him on the one hand, but then again, I'm afraid by doing so that it'll result in encouraging more..well, of this..

On the one hand, you wonder if you have too high of expectations..but on that other hand, based on past performance..SOME past performance, is it so wrong to expect something entertaining?

The best things about the original 3 was talking with friends who'd just been introduced to the movies, talking about what they thought of the characters and their actions and decisions..

But Survival, and to a lesser extent Land just make me mad..who behaves this way? And don't get me started on Diary..it was..a little more watchable than Land, but the characters were just so gutter stupid it hurt my brain..

I guess..I dunno, I'd honestly recommend if you HAVE to see it, rent it first. Based on the 20 or so minutes of the commentary I listened to, I didn't feel I missed on anything after I turned it off and put it back in the case.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Undisclosed
    I was thinking of renting it, but it's in my DVD queue on Netflix and showing an instant viewing (streaming) availability date of 9/23. Free (besides the Netflix fees), now that's the right price.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tongue View Post
    Playing Devils advocate here. How do people expect a "Dawn of the Dead" when they have been boycotting his last three movies, in turn making him less money for another epic?
    I bought Land and Diary on DVD..then I re-bought them on Blu-Ray (even though I knew that Land was terrible and Diary was complete excrement). Do you know that I've never even watched the BD versions? I bought Blu-Rays that I knew were terrible because of my loyalty.

I'd hardly call that a boycott, I'd call it supporting GAR and hoping he can produce another movie (which he did, which was by all accounts worse than the last two). I've not seen Survival and the only way I can see myself buying it is if I find it dirt cheap in a Blu-bargain basket one day.

I am boycotting him now I suppose, in respect that my interest in his new stuff has been ratcheted down to "meh, can't be arsed".
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Might buy it on the way home from work today...not sure.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Might buy it on the way home from work today...not sure.
    I've been saying the same thing for a week now. Sad, really.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've been saying the same thing for a week now. Sad, really.
    What's worse? That or me having it for a week with the "I'll get to it this weekend attitude.

Agian, Gar can do whatever he wants with his franchise but this reaction from long time, hardcore fans is what he's reaping.

You know, the people who actually know who he is.

You know the people who, given decent films, will unconditionally support him.

From my experience, non dead fans (by that I mean people who would watch that sort of movie but don't recognize his name) have to have it explained to him who he is.

I'll be like "George Romero" And i'll get a blank stare. it's only when I say he's the guy that made Night and dawn that they'll be like "oh yeah", He made those?

You just keep on with the cgi gag kills. Good luck with all that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"