Thread: Dimebag Darrell Rememberance Thread

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Dimebag Darrell Rememberance Thread

Over 4 years after his untimely muder on stage in Ohio - Dimebag Darrell's memory lives on strong as ever. I'm dedicating this thread to him, one of the most influential, amazing guitarists Heavy Metal has ever seen. I still love Pantera as much as ever, their music is still fresh, brutal, and intense...Dimebag was a legend, and I still feel the shockwaves his muder caused and will continue to cause for years to come.

Unfortunately my girlfriend found the news reports which contain the video in which he is killed. I never wanted to see it but she got it up on youtube and I watched it - you don't get to see anything thank God, but you do hear it and you get a real sense of the chaos and emotion that was thick in the air that night - you see his murderer charging on stage and firing shots as the band are playing their first song, then for a few seconds the rest of the band is playing and there are no guitars...obviously the point where Dime was shot in the head...then it all goes quiet and there's just a hum from the bass guitar was which probably thrown on the floor...later on an officer comes in and you hear a loud bang as the gunman has his head blown off by a 12 gauge. It's an intense scene and has really stuck with me since I saw it.

So it's inspired me to think of Dime in a more loving way, to remember a musician who inspired me as a growing boy and was a joy to watch onstage and off. A real influence in my and many other's lives, he was totally awesome and he's definitely missed.

Here's one of Dime's best moments, feel free to post yours!

Last edited by capncnut; 23-Dec-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Kazakhstan
    PANTERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA owns

3!
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    Fixed your video, Symph.

Dimebag's death shocked me to the core because it was the most senseless piece of s**t that ever happened. One of the best guitar players that ever walked this land shot to death by a talentless little turd.

I'll never forget the only time I ever saw Pantera - 1993 in Glasgow - Dimebag absolutely rocked!

Super Moderator

United States
    I can't believe that already four years has gone by.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    dimebag's death - what a senseless, idiotic waste of a talented person. it is doubly shocking in that it happened on stage, a sacred and consecrated place. some folks have no respect for anything.

i agree with symph that the video is pretty hard to watch and is intense to say the least. officer james niggemeyer (the cop who killed nathan gale) certainly blew gale away in about as thorough a manner as anyone has ever been.

In May 2005, Officer Niggemeyer testified before the Franklin County grand jury, which is routine procedure in Franklin County after a police shooting. The grand jury did not indict Niggemeyer, finding that his actions were justified. Niggemeyer received a commendation from the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission for his outstanding police work in time of crisis as well as The National Rifle Association award as 2005 Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. The five other officers that were first on the scene received Ohio distinguished law enforcement medals for their efforts. In 2006 James Niggemeyer penned the foreword to A Vulgar Display Of Power: Courage and Carnage at the Alrosa Villa.

i saw pantera many times back in the day. how many times i'm not sure of, maybe 6 or 7. funny thing, the first time i saw them (opening for suicidal tendencies i believe) i had no idea who they were.

"The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United Kingdom
    I only discovered Pantera in 2006 I think it was... undoubtedly they are and will remain my favourite band ever but it's very sad for me I'll never have the chance to see them perform. As such Dimebag's death never hit me hard because I didn't find out until I read it online about 2 years after it happened, while I was still new to the band. This is probably why I'll never buy or wear a Pantera t-shirt, because despite how silly it might sound I don't feel I can call myself a 'real' fan.

Nevertheless it was still a senseless waste of a brilliant talent, that's for sure. R.I.P.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'll never buy or wear a Pantera t-shirt, because despite how silly it might sound I don't feel I can call myself a 'real' fan.
    Buy a shirt. If they are your favourite band of all time then that qualifies and you don't have to be an 'original' to wear the damn thing.

My favourite band ever is the Sex Pistols and I was three years old when they were around initially. NO ONE can tell me I'm not worthy of wearing a shirt because I know more about them and own more merchandise than the average 'original' fan.

Wear that s**t with pride, mate.