Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were doing a Romero zombie-thon at home...

United States

If you were doing a Romero zombie-thon at home...

...what is your preferred order of viewing? I'm on vacation this week & thinking of giving all 5(6) a go. Back in the day when it was just 3 that was easy: watch 'em in order. When 90 came out, still no big deal: watch 'em in order still (68 & 90 making nice bookends as it were)

When I started thinking about it today, it suddenly occurred to me, there's different ways I could put this one together just to add some spice. For example, both Nights, then Diary (because they're all "in the beginning"), then Dawn, then Land, & finally Day (reason for the transpose of Land/Day? Because thematically Day FEELS like the end. Not just the end of the series, but the end of EVERYTHING...)

So...any thoughts? (Having said all that I STILL may end up just going in order...)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ok, i'll play since i don't think this is intended to start yet another and very boring (to me at least) timeline arguement. i got sick of those like in 01 or so.

anyhoo, since i am all about the ancient world i have watched the films in media res meaning you start in the middle and then tell the beginning of the story in flashback, then you move on to the end. it is a literary device. simply that and nothing more.

day
    night 68
    diary
    dawn
    land

i really don't care if diary is supposed to be part of new cycle or whatever. i have watched them in this order before and it works nicely.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    why not just watch night 68 5 times and be done with it.

capncnut
    Night, Dawn, Day... it ends there.

That said, I do love a ZFE, Manchester Morgue, and Tombs triple bill.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    I once did Night three times in one 'night' before. Wasn't bored for one second, bro. When Ben and co. leave the farmhouse, that music gives me a hard on, pure goosebumps. I think I replayed that scene at least ten times in a row.
    Last edited by capncnut; 22-May-2009 at 02:18 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    ok, i'll play since i don't think this is intended to start yet another and very boring (to me at least) timeline arguement. i got sick of those like in 01 or so.
    Oh NO, it's DEFINITELY not THAT. Just thinking of other ways to watch them rather than straight in order (that they were MADE. I should have clarified.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    anyhoo, since i am all about the ancient world i have watched the films in media res meaning you start in the middle and then tell the beginning of the story in flashback, then you move on to the end. it is a literary device. simply that and nothing more.

day
    night 68
    diary
    dawn
    land
    That's an interesting one! Cool!

I can't argue with that!
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 22-May-2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    Why only five times when you can fit at least 12 viewings back to back in roughly 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    When Ben and co. leave the farmhouse, that music gives me a hard on, pure goosebumps. I think I replayed that scene at least ten times in a row.
    If you're talking about the music when Judy runs past Cooper out the front door, believe it or not, the original cue is titled Fire. It easily one of my favorite pieces of music in the entire film.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 22-May-2009 at 02:26 AM.

United States
    I knew someone would say that.

That said, I do love a ZFE, Manchester Morgue, and Tombs triple bill.
    Yeah, there are some other non-Romero one that I like to make double & triple features of.

"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" & "Let Sleeping Corpse Lie" (The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) make good companion pieces to me.

Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Fleaheaters), The Gates of Hell & The Beyond is another good one.

Hell of the Living Dead, Burial Ground:the Nights of Terror, & Nightmare City is another (for Italian euro-sleaze anyway!)

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    If you're talking about the music when Judy runs past Cooper out the front door, believe it or not, the original cue is titled Fire. It easily one of my favorite pieces of music in the entire film.
    Quite agree, Jim.

That piece of music still makes the hairs on my body stand up. Coupled with the urgency of the scene overall really takes my breath away. It's probably my favourite part of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" & "Let Sleeping Corpse Lie" (The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue) make good companion pieces to me.

Zombie (Zombi 2, Zombie Fleaheaters), The Gates of Hell & The Beyond is another good one.

Hell of the Living Dead, Burial Ground:the Nights of Terror, & Nightmare City is another (for Italian euro-sleaze anyway!)
    Children and Beyond are fantastic. Nightmare City still remains in my collection on VHS, but, as yet, unseen.

United States
    Children and Beyond are fantastic. Nightmare City still remains in my collection on VHS, but, as yet, unseen.
    It's....an interesting one....
    See the other two I paired it up with to get a feel of about where it stands.
    If you like that sort of thing (as I do), then you'll dig it.

capncnut
    Actually, I really enjoyed Hell Of The Living Dead (for what it was) so maybe I should give NC spin.

United States
    i just own land and diary for completionist's rationale...even if i had the time, i'd just watch the big three, maybe throwing in night 90 for the hell of it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Too true, though--to be honest...if you really wanted the whole run I'd start with Diary to get it out of the way and then either move to Land and then proceed through the original series in order. Another option may be...

Warm up session:

Night 90 (start off with a bang & cheating a bit to do it)
    Diary of the Dead
    ***Note: you may swap the above two around to suit your taste***
    Land of the Dead
    --The above gives you a run from outbreak, through to post outbreak--

End strong with:

Night
    Dawn
    Day
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-May-2009 at 03:54 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i just own land and diary for completionist's rationale

Damn, and I thought I was the ONLY one who felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Too true, though--to be honest...if you really wanted the whole run I'd start with Diary to get it out of the way and then either move to Land and then proceed through the original series in order. Another option may be...

Warm up session:

Night 90 (start off with a bang & cheating a bit to do it)
    Diary of the Dead
    ***Note: you may swap the above two around to suit your taste***
    Land of the Dead
    --The above gives you a run from outbreak, through to post outbreak--

End strong with:

Night
    Dawn
    Day

Well, my response to P.C.'s post says it all. Imo, the other films soil the trilogy so it wouldn't matter in what order they were played as long as NOTLD & 90', Dawn and Day where played in a row.

Also, for historic value nothing beats the original NOTLD, however, I'd prefer to watch the remake if given a choice and especially if showing it to someone for the first time.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

Undisclosed
    Actually, I really enjoyed Hell Of The Living Dead (for what it was) so maybe I should give NC spin.
    I strongly recommend smoking a fatty before viewing.

How about a pre Romero triple feature of Invisible Invaders, Last Man On Earth, and Carnival of Souls.

ViP

United States
    Start with Night68, then watch Dawn.

(throw the rest of them in the garbage and watch Night 68 and Dawn again, then pop in the Dawn remake lol)