Super Moderator

UK

Post TWD 2x04 "Cherokee Rose" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Episode Four discussion, folks.

United States
    I have to see it first...
    Dang.

England
    I wanna see a flashback with Dale. Maybe back to the 60's. Yeah man.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It just occured to me that the Cherokee Rose is the state flower of Georgia, where TWD story takes place. I wonder how that will play into the story...

United States
    [ragnarr puts on his Elrond hat...]

Wait... I'm having a vision... yes, I can see it all now...

Shane's story about how Otis died will be found to be suspicious at best, or as an outright lie at even MORE bester!

(heh heh, retarded grammar rocks!)
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 06-Nov-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Dead

United States
    Hahahahahahaha Glenn's the fuckin man!!!!
    I think Daryl wants himself some Carol!!!
    I'm not so sure I like the idea of it turnin into a big "hook-up-fest"....
    Last edited by babomb; 07-Nov-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    Hahahahahahaha Glenn's the fuckin man!!!!
    Yes he is, yes he is...

Aaland
    glen getting it in knew that was coming... or he did at least ha!!! this episode got me corn-fused??? the comics and wikia said nothing of this if following them as well trying to predict like i do. but anywho... dang it i might know something at the end of the episode.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not a bad episode, but certainly not the best of the season so far. I think I was mainly disappointed because it followed quite a few beats from the comics. Just about all the major plot points were known or could have been guessed from reading the comics.

Oh, and the preview for next week's episode? You-know-who is back. I predict a brother vs brother showdown. Daryl is such a good guy now, he's going to stand up for the group. Even if it means he has to defeat his brother.

United States
    Yay, Glen!

I like the whole build-up in the episode in thinking that Lori's asked for tampons when it turns out - wait for it, it's a pregnancy test! Oh, they got us good on that one in not seeing it coming!

With that said, I thought the episode was the weakest this season. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - but basically nothing happened to help push the plot forward in any way. The well scene was just kinda useless to me other than showing some good zombie make-up and for some great gore ("Guess you won't be using that well again!" - har har!). It seemed that Sophia or another small person (perhaps a midget farmer) had been sleeping in the pantry from the pillow and the sheet - but Daryl, for whatever reason, didn't think it was a good idea to check upstairs? Huh? And if Sophia had been sleeping there you would think she would have had the common sense (even as young as she is) to lock the doors to the house she was in as well - but the doors were wide open. This leads me to believe that someone or a group of people have Sophia - from the scene to next week's episode it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "someone" turned out to be Merle who has Sophia and is keeping her.

Nothing else really of interest happened here that I can tell other than Herschel being folksy and everyone dealing with some demons. Of course, all of that is interesting but it was just overall a weak episode in my opinion as nothing really of importance took place.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 07-Nov-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Aaland
    i think merle is a flash back... i could be wrong and i hope i am wrong. he will be looking forward to those pills t dogg took when he gets back... bet that clapp is itching/

Twitching

United States
    Hmm,
    I was disappointed by this episode in a lot of ways. Herschel, who I never much cared for to begin with and even distrust to a significant degree, is coming down as unfeeling, controlling, suspicious (acting, not his demeanor towards others) and just....off. The effort at the well was the big constructive goal this episode (though also made me ask how a Walker got down there to begin with) was a total disaster, everything took a big step backwards with the re-institution of gun-seizures, and well....nothing really significant and/or meaningful happened.

Now, some will say "Wait, how can you say that. Lori's pregnancy test, Shane's almost-confession to Andrea etc. etc." To which I respond: I need a bit more meat than some touchy-feeling conversation and a few plot devices lifted straight out of daytime soaps. BAD daytime soaps at that (not as if there's such a thing as GOOD daytime soaps, but still). The endless search for Sophia continues, and the scenes from next week reveal Merle's reappearance (Ugh, a potential season-killer right there, and DEFINITELY something that's going to eat up multiple episodes dealing with the awful character they saddled poor Michael Rooker with) and Herschel as much as telling his daughter he's going to kick Rick's group out, despite what he said to Rick. The whole "You need to realize these people won't always be around, and some firm boundaries need to be set" set my teeth on edge.

The bottom line for me is this: I was looking forward to this episode as something that would start building momentum into something more interesting than Herschel's creepy behavior, Shane/Rick/Dale's grr-inducing decisions, Carl's convalescence and the endless Sophia search. I got none of what I was looking for from this episode and normally thats ok. One of the great things about TWD as a rule is that they might go in a different direction than you were anticipating, but that's cool because the different direction is almost always at least as enjoyable as what you THOUGHT you were gonna get.

It feels weird to say it, but this was the first AWFUL episode of S.2 of TWD for me. About the only positive thing I can say about it is at least they were decent enough to warn me Merle's back next episode, so I can skip that one and just catch a real quick plot synopsis from one of my friends/acquaintances who will no doubt watch it. At another time the Merle thing coulda been cool, but given the in-limbo momentum-absent episode this week, my knee-jerk reaction...the first thought/non-word that popped into my head when I saw that few second clip of Merle was "UGH!"

Sorry to be a downer all, but this one gets a 1.5/10 from me, and I'm only giving it the 1.5 solely on the improbable but interestingly gory bisection of the "swimmer."

Edit: JDFP, I was writing my post while you were writing yours, and I agree with about everything you said except enjoying the episode. Seems we were reading each others minds on a lot of aspects of this week's episodes, though I had a gut feeling it was birth control pills/contraceptive or a pregnancy test Lori sent Glenn for. Glad to know someone else felt let down too. Least I know I'm in good company.
    I haven't read the comics, but as characters/a character location so many of the comic-fans seemed so excited to see unveiled, Herschel's farm and the events there have been for the most part IMO, very meh and something that drags in much the way that Sophia continuing to be missing has. Then, at the nadir of what has been a good season in a lot of ways, they fling Merle back into the mix...an event which will, no doubt, take advantage of all but Shane and Dale running around unarmed (Daryl and his last crossbow bolt don't count anymore).
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 07-Nov-2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

Aaland
    yes it was a rather bland episdoe but do you really have to ANAL-ize everything? just leave it where it is and lets hope the next episode will be something better. i just hope the third season is better!

Dead

United States
    Of course, all of that is interesting but it was just overall a weak episode in my opinion as nothing really of importance took place.
    Well, Lori's got a bun in the oven. That's a significant development.
    This leads me to believe that someone or a group of people have Sophia - from the scene to next week's episode it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "someone" turned out to be Merle who has Sophia and is keeping her.
    He probably keeps her locked in that pantry.

United States
    I wouldn't say it was awful but I do agree nothing really pushed the story forward.

Stuff does get a bit over analyzed here but most of the time it leads to some pretty good discussions.

However, I can never understand when people dismiss scenes like The Swimmer in the well. Who cares if it didn't really have a place in the story, I think it was awesome and a really good gag, who here doesn't like shit like that? lol

My biggest complaint is the one I had since the original season opener. Just find Sophia already, c'mon!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."