Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Amplas interview

United States

John Amplas interview

For anyone that might be interested, my interview with John Amplas has been published by Horrorhound magazine. It is in the new issue(issue 13) that just came out with Michael Jackson's Thriller on the cover.
    The interview was originally going to appear here on HPOTD back in May, but the opportunity to be in Horrorhound came about and Neil was gracious enough to understand.
    Thanks!

United States
    Very cool.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh yeah, i remember this. I had forgotten all about it. I wonder if he asked him how it felt to play Martinez. I just gotta know !!
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Sweden
    Does anyone know if it was a good interview? Was there pictures and indepth questions and all that? I'd rather not buy it if it's just a tiny short one. :X (especially since shipping to Sweden isn't that cheap, grrr.)
    Last edited by gallowisgod; 06-Apr-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Congrats on the publication, Thxleo! Snagging an interview seems like it would be great, getting it published in print, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    The interview was originally going to appear here on HPOTD back in May, but the opportunity to be in Horrorhound came about and Neil was gracious enough to understand.
    That's very cool, actually.

I'll see if I can pick up a copy at one of the magazine shops on the way to the train this week. I don't know that I've ever read Horrorhound. I'll let you know if I find a copy.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Good job, Brother Thxleo! I have never seen this publication on the stands, but will seek it out.

Just curious, and at the risk of throwing gas on the fire, did Ampalas confirm in any way that his gangbanger character in DOTD 78 was indeed the role of Martinez? There was a debate not too long ago here over whether or not Martinez was the Ampalas character or another dude that came out of the stairwell (since the interview with Hare Krishna zombie mentioned that Martinez was played by someone else)
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 06-Apr-2009 at 05:23 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Good job, Brother Thxleo! I have never seen this publication on the stands, but will seek it out.

Just curious, and at the risk of throwing gas on the fire, did Ampalas confirm in any way that his gangbanger character in DOTD 78 was indeed the role of Martinez? There was a debate not too long ago here over whether or not Martinez was the Ampalas character or another dude that came out of the stairwell (since the interview with Hare Krishna zombie mentioned that Martinez was played by someone else)
    Thanks for the kind words Yojimbo and Acesand Eights. Yes, John was definitely the Martinez character. However, Joe Shelby has been claiming to have played the character at convention appearances. I think this is just confusion on Shelby's part, not meaning to be underhanded at all. At first John was surprised when he found this out, but he decided not to make an issue of it and has just let it stay that way. To be frank, he does not really care. LOL
    BTW, John will be at the Chiller Theatre convention April 17-19, 2009 in New Jersey. I'll be with John at his table, so I hope to meet any HPOTD members at the show if anyone can make it.

Sweden
    BTW, John will be at the Chiller Theatre convention April 17-19, 2009 in New Jersey. I'll be with John at his table, so I hope to meet any HPOTD members at the show if anyone can make it.

Aww man... It'd be amazing to see him in person. Too bad I'm poor and live in Sweden.

ViP

United States
    I just wanted to add that Horrorhound is a damn fine magazine and I make sure and buy every issue. It has separated itself from Rue Morgue and Fangoria and in my opinion is easily the best horror magazine in print.

Regarding the Martinez/Amplas/Shelby issue, of course Amplas is Martinez, it is a play on his former character of Martin. Amplas, being gratious, has allowed Shelby the victory, but I say us fans must take to the streets and fight for what's right!

Sweden
    For anyone that might be interested, my interview with John Amplas has been published by Horrorhound magazine.
    Geez, I'm such an idiot. I didn't realize the topic had been started by the author himself! Haha, I'm so sorry. I think I got a bit overexcited when reading there was a new interview with John. Anyway, a late congratulations on the publication! Do you mind saying how many pages the interview is?

Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I just wanted to add that Horrorhound is a damn fine magazine and I make sure and buy every issue. It has separated itself from Rue Morgue and Fangoria and in my opinion is easily the best horror magazine in print.
    That's great to hear! I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Regarding the Martinez/Amplas/Shelby issue, of course Amplas is Martinez, it is a play on his former character of Martin. Amplas, being gratious, has allowed Shelby the victory, but I say us fans must take to the streets and fight for what's right!
    It might've been mentioned, but if I remember correctly, in the Anchor Bay edition of Martin: Romero and Amplas even have a little laugh talking about Martinez, calling him José and quoting his lines. I doubt George himself would've forgotten who played him.
    I haven't seen DOTD yet, but I've seen an image of him. Seriously, is there any mistake? He has the same nose and bonestructure that John had. Oh well...
    Last edited by gallowisgod; 09-Apr-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Undisclosed
    I'll be there. Will Mr. Amplas have any snazzy color photos of Martinez available for signing? That's what I'm looking for.

Hey, and you'd better get your butt over to Gary Streiner's table to say 'hello' or Gary will come looking for you with his meat hook!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by gallowisgod View Post
    It might've been mentioned, but if I remember correctly, in the Anchor Bay edition of Martin: Romero and Amplas even have a little laugh talking about Martinez, calling him José and quoting his lines. I doubt George himself would've forgotten who played him.
    I haven't seen DOTD yet, but I've seen an image of him. Seriously, is there any mistake? He has the same nose and bonestructure that John had. Oh well...
    It was indeed mentioned in the commentary of DOTD78, but GAR and Savini did not seem to be totally sure about Ampalas being the Martinez character. There was some lively debate about this on the boards not too long ago, coupled with the mention of another character in that particular scene claiming to have been the Martinez character.

Gallows, if you like Ampalas, you should check out DOTD 78 for that scene on the rooftop featuring Ampalas as a gangster type, and also check out Day of the Dead (the romero version) since he has a role as a scientist in that film too. He is also in Knightriders, as one of the traveling group members.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Sweden
    It was indeed mentioned in the commentary of DOTD78
    Ohhh. Though if you meant "indeed" as to my message, I was referring to the Martin commentary.

...but GAR and Savini did not seem to be totally sure about Ampalas being the Martinez character.
    Ahh, I see. Them not being sure would probably give quite a lot to discuss for fans I guess. :/

Gallows, if you like Ampalas, you should check out DOTD 78 for that scene on the rooftop featuring Ampalas as a gangster type, and also check out Day of the Dead (the romero version) since he has a role as a scientist in that film too. He is also in Knightriders, as one of the traveling group members.
    Yessums! I've seen Knightriders. I was a bit sad to see that Amplas didn't even have a line in it. Oh well... Atleast he had one closeup when he picked up the baby, haha. I'm slowly progressing.

Trying to get a few of my friends to do a movienight with the whole "...Of The Dead" series, but no one seems too interested, hrmpf :P I can't seem to find the movies "No Pets" or "Midnight/Backwoods Massacre" with John Amplas though, which bothers me a bit... But I guess I'll survive.
    Last edited by gallowisgod; 09-Apr-2009 at 08:18 PM.

United States
    Thanks for the kind words Yojimbo and Acesand Eights. Yes, John was definitely the Martinez character. However, Joe Shelby has been claiming to have played the character at convention appearances. I think this is just confusion on Shelby's part, not meaning to be underhanded at all. At first John was surprised when he found this out, but he decided not to make an issue of it and has just let it stay that way. To be frank, he does not really care. LOL
    Thanks thxleo: Likely the only ones who would care about minutae such as this are zed-head freaks like me! But good to know all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gallowisgod View Post
    Ohhh. Though if you meant "indeed" as to my message, I was referring to the Martin commentary.

Sorry, I missed that in your post. It had been mentioned in the DOTD commentarytoo, so I had been referencing that and had missed that you had been referencing MARTIN instead.

Yeah, Ampalas' role in Knightriders was a bit small, but good job for having caught Knightriders, since there are a lot of folks who call themselves Hardcore Romero fans who have yet to have seen this one.

Do check out John in Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD (not the crappy remake but GAR's original) if you have not yet had a chance to do so since Ampalas has several lines of dialogue there.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 09-Apr-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Yeah, Ampalas' role in Knightriders was a bit small, but good job for having caught Knightriders, since there are a lot of folks who call themselves Hardcore Romero fans who have yet to have seen this one.
    *PFSSHT* That's an immediate turn in your membership card & banning offense IMO. Or at the very least a whack across the noggin' by Sir Morgan w/ the mace...