Thread: NOTLD, the stage show!

Dying

Undisclosed

NOTLD, the stage show!

This is a blip from my blog, going to be posted midweek next week, but thought I'd share in advance...

Night of the Living Dead – I don’t know if anyone in Corvallis, Oregon reads my blog. But I know people who would go to Corvallis because they’re mounting NOTLD as a play. It’s the whole sick crew: Barbara (“They’re coming for you Barbara!”), Ben (not sure of his ethnicity…did you know that Ben in the original 1968 version was the first African American to act as a lead in a movie? Romero always said it was because actor Duane Jones was the best actor any of them knew), the Coopers, Tom and Judy. And a lot of boards. And screaming. I wanna go!

Updated...Uhm, sorry didn't realize there was a thread below.
    Last edited by Geophyrd; 05-Oct-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    Geo the Giant Killer aka Geophyrd aka me
    http://geophyrd.livejournal.com/

Norway
    What a great idea! Night are very suited for the stage.

United States
    I saw the Gangbusters version here in Los Angeles late last year and enjoyed it. I agree that it translates well to the stage, but what is weird is recently there have been a number of productions in this vein, whereas there had not been any in the previous years.

Why, suddenly, are so many folks producing plays based on NOLD?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Norway
    The dawn04 and land movies introduced the Romero zombie genre to a lot of more people, and shook off the bmovie stigma that have been associated with it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    The dawn04 and land movies introduced the Romero zombie genre to a lot of more people, and shook off the bmovie stigma that have been associated with it.
    That is true. And a lot of time has passed. Like cars, after a certain number of years it can automatically be classified as "classic"
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Why, suddenly, are so many folks producing plays based on NOLD?
    i think partly because of what was said already about the introduction of Romero to new audiences but also think that

1 - Zombies are the new Vampires - right now it seems they are the "in" monster for movies. Or at least that genre

2 - The film is in public domain so there is a lot of freedom and free use - and though it has been so for a little while now it took some people longer to catch on than others.

3 - As I said in my other thread about my production: there is a great dramatic quality to the "strangers trapped together in a confined area during the apocolypse"

That and Halloween is just around the corner so some productions may have been put off or placed around this time (though personally i would like to see the play go up around the 1st of may - when the movie is said to have taken place)

just my two bits