Thread: SAW III - Opinions

United States

SAW III - Opinions

I just saw SAW III for the first time yesterday. I enjoyed both of the first two movies, and was expecting to enjoy this third installment just as much. But while watching it, I thought it was inferior to the efforts of the first two. I found the beginning scenes much too dark (and I mean "not enough light", not forboding), the story difficult to follow, and the flashback scenes at times hard to even distinguish that they were flashbacks. I like the ironic twist of an ending, but overall, I thought the entire movie was wanting.

What was your opinion?

Super Moderator

UK
    Interesting, because I was let down by the second film.

I thought the first was fantastic, only cynical whingers and people who enjoy attempting to guess what happens at the end to make themselves feel superior (to a goddamn movie!) are the sort you'd expect not to like SAW ... apart from people who don't like horror, or those whose cup-o-tea it just ain't.

So aye, I thought SAW was fantastic, a real jaw-dropper I found. Then SAW II was the one I found 'wanting' - a series of cut 'n' paste characters so blatantly lined up for the chopping block ... and I duno, but it wasn't as horrific as I was expecting it to be. SAW I really made me cringe, as did SAW III (especially), but SAW II ... I was expecting more horror. SAW II had its moments, but over all I was let down.

SAW III however, I very much liked. It's no SAW I, but it's most definately better than SAW II, #3 is the icing on the cake, the final chapter (although they'll no doubt do a SAW IV), it rounds everything up. I loved how it flashed back to the first two movies and answered some questions or showed us a little more.

The torture scenes though ... DAMN ... it was kinda rough going for me, and I'm a hardcore horror fan. There's just something about a "twisting wrack" and liquidised rotting pig slush that I found quite tough the first time around (and second time).

The first is great because it's the start, we're seeing something new and punchy. The sequel is the difficult second album and it's kind of the jelly-belly middle of the trilogy. The third film is the final act, the big finish.

That's how I see the SAW trilogy. I've got the unrated version of SAW III, so I'll have to go re-watch the film and see how much tougher it is, it certainly was a tough film to get through, the cringe-factor was through the roof - but that's good, because finally there's a horror series out there that's once again making people cover their eyes with horror and disbelief. The genre has generally been too soft, or self-aware or flat out not tough enough - it's horror, it's supposed to scare - just like Rob Zombie was saying on The Devil's Rejects DVD.

Banned User

United States
    What can i say. minion took the words out of my mouth. i as well was dissapointed with #2. 3rd was better but the 1st ruled.

Undisclosed
    Saw was awesome, the second one was kinda of lame, the third was okay, but it kinda was too long in parts!

capncnut
    The first movie was great but the other two are an excercise in how to deconstruct a semi-decent movie bad guy. They were passable, but only just.

Dead

Undisclosed
    For me I liked Saw and Saw II, but I found Saw III to be complete crap. I was looking forward to it but all it turned out to be was people being tortured. I know that's basically what those movies are, but for 3 it seems like all they did was just sit around and wrote the movie around the torture scenes rather than writing a good movie and using the torture for effect. Sure they did make it more violent, but that only would have worked if they actually wrote a good script. The only real part I liked was the new stuff with Donnie Wahlberg.