Thread: Zaratozom

Super Moderator

UK

Zaratozom

I was watching the Argento cut last night (albeit with the hugely entertaining cast commentary), and it reminded me of the "Zaratozom" track from Goblin that is used - in this version - for the biker raid on the mall.

Now, I love that piece of music on its own, and I can see why Argento decided to use it there - but - it totally changes the vibe of the scene. In Romero's proper version that biker invasion of the mall shows the horror of them being overwhelmed, the lack of control over the situation, and their secure little world crumbling around them. We, as the audience, are very much with our gang of mall survivors.

The use of Zaratozom, though, changes the tone of the sequence into an action spectacle to get the audience revved up, somewhat putting them into the headspace of the biker gang. It also somewhat gets in the way of the thundering noise of the bikes rampaging through the mall itself.

That's my take - is it just me?

Side thought, it's weird to see certain little extensions dotted around, even if just a few seconds - like Peter using his thumb to check the paint matches the existing walls when they're putting up the false wall. It's a bit like - why bother with that?

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan