Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gravity (film)

Administrator

England

Gravity (film)

Early comments from AICN seem to love it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55480

The story is profoundly simple. Sandra Bullock’s space ship is destroyed by space debris & she has to figure out how to get back to Earth. It’s told in real time without feeling like a gimmick & it has all the ludicrously long shots we’ve been promised. The movie never feels like “Phonebooth in Space!”, because the ‘one-location in real time’ aspect is vital to the story. The second after your space shuttle is hit by space debris you better believe every second of the next hour and a half counts (we’ll all know this first hand once Richard Branson gets his shit together). Don’t worry, I won’t give away the one spoiler in the movie, i.e. Will she make it?, cause that’s the only question you ask yourself the entire fucking movie. Cauron does a masterful job of setting up the impossible stakes & giving you hope & hopelessness at the same time.
    It was amazing to see an early cut of this film but it was cruel and unusual to flip back and forth between the pristinely realized space footage and the 16-bit pre-viz stuff. This cut still gets my ultra-rare 11 out of 10 rating though, & it can only go up after I see the 100% completed version. Congratulations Mr.Cuaron, you sir have changed the game.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    This is the first I've heard of this movie - and it looks proper good - I'll be up for seeing this, that's for sure!

Talk about a full-on brown trouser (space suit) moment!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow, that was intense....

Administrator

England
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4coTNta-YA

Notice it's all done in one continuous shot!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Pretty nifty!

That'd shit me up though, being in that situation ... should make for a good movie, mind!

Administrator

England
    Looks interesting. Still question the casting choice(s) though.

Interested to see how the story pans out. Imagine it's got to be very character led, with one of the characters just sitting there in space?
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    +ve reviews! - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Early...vel-39199.html

I'm staying away from reviews as I don't want to spoil it!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very much looking forward to this. If it's even half as good as Children of Men it will be worth the price of a ticket.

I saw the trailer in IMAX within the last month or so and it was absolutely breathtaking. Very beautiful shots of space, but at the same time insanely terrifying. Having the screen take up my entire line of sight and then feeling like I was in Bullock's suit floating through space alone gave me the willies....
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Aug-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Wish there was an IMAX near me
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Best film of the year? - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Revie...Far-39355.html

It’s the best film I’ve seen this year, and I’m not sure what has the potential to top it. It might be the most innovative film I’ve seen in years.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I've been hearing incredible buzz about this movie. Can't wait to see it! Currently 96% on RottenTomatoes, 23 good reviews to 1 bad one.

Administrator

England
    Less positive here - "it's quite literally a 'check your brain at the door' blockbuster" - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64145
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    More love - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64328

GRAVITY is an absolute must-see. If Cameron's AVATAR pushed other filmmakers, then Alfonso Cuarón has done something just as impressive, but GRAVITY is far from empty spectacle. Emotional, beautiful, and deeply resonant, GRAVITY is one of the best science fiction films ever made, and is an evolutionary step forward in cinema.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Gravity-6586.html

Gravity is movie heaven.
    - - - Updated - - -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64457

GRAVITY is easily in my top 10 films of all time, and will be taught in film schools forever. But for me it goes much farther. It is some of my favorite art of all time. For me, this is the Sistine Chapel of films. A top artist in the dominant art form of his day, at the peak of his abilities, has been given unfathomable resources to create a stunning work of celestial magnificence on a scale never seen before. A master, directing 250 artists, and a crew of hundreds more, to paint 130,000 frames, which, rise in three dimensions out of a 40 foot IMAX wall. When strung together, they tell a story that could only be told today, built on top of a half-trillion dollar space race, but one which is at once deeply primal and human. Do *not* wait for the DVD. GRAVITY demands to be seen in IMAX 3D.
    -Carl Sagan