Thread: S04E01 - 30 Days Without An Accident - review

Administrator

England

S04E01 - 30 Days Without An Accident - review

Den Of Geek have a spoiler free review - http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-walk...er-free-review

The occasional stumble aside, The Walking Dead should continue to improve as Gimple gets used to his new role. The change from Darabont to Mazzara was a drastic, immediate improvement. The change from Mazzara to Gimple was neither an improvement nor a huge step back for the show, which is about the best thing viewers would hope for under the circumstances.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    "The change from Darabont to Mazzara was a drastic, immediate improvement."

I beg to differ. Those first episodes of the first season were the best the series has ever been.
    Especially the pilot. Miles away from where the series has ended up recently. At least as far as writing and directing are concerned.
    Last edited by krisvds; 07-Oct-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    ^^ I must admit I raised my eyebrows at that comment!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    "The change from Darabont to Mazzara was a drastic, immediate improvement."

I beg to differ. Those first episodes of the first season were the best the series has ever been.
    Especially the pilot. Miles away from where the series has ended up recently. At least as far as writing and directing are concerned.
    But the change was during the early part of season 2 which people hated if you remember
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    But the change was during the early part of season 2 which people hated if you remember
    Hmmm ... opinions seem to shift all over the place, there's as many responses to TWD as there are walkers lining the fences of the prison in season four.

Sounds like a pretty solid episode going from the entire article.

Also, from poking around IMDb and Wikipedia, it's good to see that Ernest Dickerson and Michelle McLaren will be coming back (twice and once, respectively) for directing duties during the season. They've also got a batch of new writers to go with existing staff, some of them quite fresh to the business, others who have been at it for a decade or more (all with experience in TV drama). Oh yeah, and the director of "Clear" is doing two episodes this season - so that should be good (they did an excellent job with 3x12).

I'm getting revved up good and proper now, I'm ten episodes deep into season 3 and lovin' it all over again (in spite of certain pacing issues here and there, but I must say that up to this point at least, Andrea's decision making process plays better upon a second viewing and paying more attention to it - her actions make sense for what she wants out of life and what information she has etc).

Thinking ahead, as I've said before a while back, I would like there to be more time passing between individual episodes, because sometimes it can feel a bit weird watching it week-to-week when on boxset it works much better (e.g. the first half of season 2 - week-to-week the one episode = one day structure felt long-winded, particularly with the search for Sophia, over several weeks, but on boxset it plays much better within a tighter marathon viewing experience).

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Sorry all I can say is "BRING ON THE DEAD!!!"