Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of things about land of the dead

Undisclosed

Couple of things about land of the dead

First off, how bad ass was Dennis Hopper. I mean really, if it wasnt for him, this movie would have been even worse.

Another thing I noticed. To me it looked like Romero was taking a swipe at people who believe in God. I mean look it, I think that there were only two mentions of God in the movie, that in and of itself is not a bad thing. But the two references were made by a retard and a crazy street preacher.

"Thats what I love about you, you still believe in hell" what do yall think?

Chasing Prey

Canada
    this is the main reason the land forum is dying

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    this is the main reason the land forum is dying
    BWAHAHAHAHA !!!

You're so stupid yo. lol Thnx for the laugh.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHA !!!

You're so stupid yo. lol Thnx for the laugh.

what? im just being honest

Undisclosed
    well, wasnt aware the forum cops were on tonight. Ill just move along shall I?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's more than just two mentions of a "God". One that comes to mind is Cholo's "Looks like God's left the phone off the hook...".

There might be a very small influence of religion in the film, but not enough to run the film, I would think.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrosse View Post
    well, wasnt aware the forum cops were on tonight. Ill just move along shall I?
    We were just joking dude. We do that here sometimes. I've been called gay, racist and stupid on these boards. Don't take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    There's more than just two mentions of a "God". One that comes to mind is Cholo's "Looks like God's left the phone off the hook...".

There might be a very small influence of religion in the film, but not enough to run the film, I would think.

I think that any film in which the dead are being re-animated is going to have religious implications by default even if not explicitly stated. Just like any film in which where the black lead conflicts with another white alpha male wanna be is going to have racial tension in it even if it wasn't intended.
    Last edited by darth los; 31-Jul-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed

Talking

I believe that Land Of The Dead could have been good if it had, the right emphasise on the movie that Dawn Of The Dead did back in 1978. This feature film could have been scarier if not quickly rushed into cinemas & then quickly rushed to DVD with an unrated version. The original Romero script was twice as long and scraped then cut down for a filming script version and taken apart for director's version.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    We were just joking dude. We do that here sometimes. I've been called gay, racist and stupid on these boards. Don't take it personal.

I think that any film in which the dead are being re-animated is going to have religious implications by default even if not explicitly stated. Just like any film in which where the black lead conflicts with another white alpha male wanna be is going to have racial tension in it even if it wasn't intended.

you're right about that. in any culture u look at,jesus christ died and then came back from the dead....so whats that mean?
    Last edited by acealive1; 01-Aug-2007 at 08:27 AM.

United States
    Personally, I would have prefered an unknown actor to Hopper in that role. Not saying that Dennis did a bad job or anything, just that hsi acting prowess wasnt really pushed to the limit or anything, any capable actor would have been effective in that role. An unknown would have helped a lot in the "suspension of disbelief" thing.

I didnt think GAR made any issue of religion at all in the movie. With Dawn's tagline being "When theres no more room in hell....", there is an obvious relgious context there. John's whole speech in Day was blatantly religious in nature. The religious comments in Land were more just common things to say, like when you hit your thumb with a hammer you yell "Jesus Christ!" You are not really implying a religious context to your experience, for whatever reason, things like that have seeped into common language.

As for taking a "swipe at God", the one popular series that does that is Star Trek. Anytime they come across a race or planet that believes in God, there is always a scientific explantion for whatever it is that the people think is their "god", and the Star Trek crew enlightens them as to the true nature of the universe. But I digress, I dont think GAR was taking a swipt at religion at all.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i think the only reason he picked hopper was because they're friends. hopper wasnt challenged in mario bros neither but he was damn good. he's one actor that can make anything great. look at my science project. he made the hippie character what it was

United States
    Bah... i'm done with Dennis Hopper... i'd like to see some range on his acting instead of him playing the same guy over and over... its been done to death... and i'm just a little upset I never got to see him turn into a zombie too... is that asking for so much?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Bah... i'm done with Dennis Hopper...
    How dare you profane ol' Hopp-head!

*Looks off wistfully whilst flashing back to his favorite Dennis Hopper performance of all time.*

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Sorry the only role Dennis was ever any good at was in the Super Mario Brothers which coincidentally also starred thee one and thee only John Leguizamo...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Sorry the only role Dennis was ever any good at was in the Super Mario Brothers which coincidentally also starred thee one and thee only John Leguizamo...
    ?????? Please tell me this is sarcasm....

"Easy Rider", "Apocalypse Now", even though the movie isn't my cup of tea, his character in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre II" was awesome, "True Romance". I could probably think of some more, but....this dude is a legend.