Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest metal fan in Britain?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland

Oldest metal fan in Britain?

I was made redundant from my job at Zavvi today - so I'm fucking depressed - but this cheered me up a bit. Must have been a slow news day:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7826717.stm

Wish he was my granddad.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I was made redundant from my job at Zavvi today - so I'm fucking depressed - but this cheered me up a bit. Must have been a slow news day:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7826717.stm

Wish he was my granddad.
    Sorry the hear that Kracken. Must be a day for giving people the axe (see the thread I just posted)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    hey, believe it or not christopher lee is a big metal fan. i'm totally serious, all bullshit is definitely aside.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    "Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, white light"
    Sorry bout yer job... ah well, at least you can still post!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    hey, believe it or not christopher lee is a big metal fan. i'm totally serious, all bullshit is definitely aside.
    Wow....that's just...wow....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Wow....that's just...wow....
    yep. i was surprised myself. here's a couple of snippets about it:

Lee bridged two disparate genres of music by performing a heavy metal variation of the Toreador Song from the opera Carmen with the band Inner Terrestrials.[13] Lee narrated and sang for the Danish musical group The Tolkien Ensemble, taking the role of Treebeard, King Théoden and others in the readings or singing of their respective poems or songs.[14] Lee also appeared as a narrator for Italian symphonic fantasy power metal band Rhapsody of Fire, playing the Wizard King in the latest two albums, Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret and Triumph or Agony. He narrates several tracks in the two albums, as well as singing a duet with lead vocalist Fabio Lione in the single "The Magic of the Wizard's Dream" from the Symphony of Enchanted Lands II album.
    One of his favorite bands is the Italian symphonic power metal band Rhapsody, and he has also appeared on one of their album (listen to the speech in the intro on the song "Unholy Warcry" on the album "The dark secret"). Lee also appears on the Rhapsody single "The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream", where he does a duet with Rhapsody vocalist Fabio Leoni in English, German, Italian and French versions of the song.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, I actually own the two Rhapsody albums he appears on! He does a great job on both of them. That said, however, it's possible that he was more interested the fusion of classical music with metal, rather than him actually being a metalhead. Cool, nonetheless.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Yeah, I actually own the two Rhapsody albums he appears on! He does a great job on both of them. That said, however, it's possible that he was more interested the fusion of classical music with metal, rather than him actually being a metalhead. Cool, nonetheless.
    Sounds like he's into metal w/ a fantasy element too, which makes sense. When LOTR was coming out I heard that he reads the entire series every year & helped serve as a technical advisor on the movies.

Further proof that the old school guys like Lee, Cushing, & Price were the shiznet.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wish my grandparents had a computer so I could show them this guy. They're still convinced that people who listen to metal are just young and/or possessed by "the devil".

Kazakhstan
    Mate he's tr00, they're like put a record on, and he chooses "So far, So good... So what?!", and underrated album & clearly the best Megadeth LP, it's a shame they didn't play that diddly dee bit from into the lungs of hell, that gives me a lob on
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    "So far, So good... So what?!", and underrated album & clearly the best Megadeth LP,
    now wait just a centon here, we don't disagree often but i've got to ask you: are you serious or are you having a laugh? "so far, so good....so what" the best megadeth LP??? come on bro, "peace sells" and "rust in peace" crush like that an empty beer can.

Kazakhstan
    Ok get ready

I don't rate Rust in Peace that highly. Well, i'd give it 7.8 to be precise

It is very good but just sounds a bit flat & doesn't make me want to smash my head against a wall (in a good way). So Far... I did hate at first, but it's really grown on me, definitely a solid album apart from the pistols cover.

I'll still go mental whenever they play polaris or hangar 18 though

Peace Sells was my favourite for a long time. In fact, actually, it probably is my favourite, but the original mix only, the new one is ARSE. Man actually I think I might stick that on.

No thrash ever touches Kill Em All and Master of Puppets though. One fun one serious, together they rule the galaxy as father and son
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post

Peace Sells was my favourite for a long time. In fact, actually, it probably is my favourite, but the original mix only, the new one is ARSE. Man actually I think I might stick that on.
    the randy burns mix (i assume that's what you mean by the original mix) does kick the shit out of the mix that was done once capitol got their slimy paws on it.

on another note: i've always thought that "reign in blood" and "beneath the remains" ruled the thrash galaxy. but hey, things like that are entirely a matter of opinion. not pinion, which as you pointed out in another thread is a tune by nine inch nails.
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Jan-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    on another note: i've always thought that "reign in blood" and "beneath the remains" ruled the thrash galaxy.
    You are correct! Beneath The Remains has always been, in my eyes, the best thrash album ever.

Aside from that, my Megadeth list goes like this:
    1) Peace Sells...
    2-tied) Rust In Peace
    2-tied) Killin Is My Business...
    3) Countdown To Extinction (yeah, that's right)
    4) So Far... (hardly ever even listen to this album... it kind of annoys me for some reason)

Shit... we belong in the metal thread!

EDIT - What the hell? I just looked at my post and noticed "shit" has not been censored... has HPotD finally turned to a more mature demograph?!
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 21-Jan-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    EDIT - What the hell? I just looked at my post and noticed "shit" has not been censored... has HPotD finally turned to a more mature demograph?!
    yep, sure has. it happened while you were on vacation.

sorry kraken, if liam and i took this thread off the tracks.