Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archives Of The Dead - Destroyed

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed

Archives Of The Dead - Destroyed

As some of you know the archivesofthedead.com website was banned for "copyright violation".

Thanks to everyone who tried to make it a great resource website.

It seems that my web host Linksky thought it was a violation and shut it down.

They won't allow me access to the data or or images.

All my backups are gone and I have no means to retrieve the information now.

Sorry.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

ViP

United States
    That sucks. You may have been in violation, but it is a promotional violation that companies don't mind because it helps them gain publicity.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by archivesofthede View Post
    As some of you know the archivesofthedead.com website was banned for "copyright violation".

Thanks to everyone who tried to make it a great resource website.

It seems that my web host Linksky thought it was a violation and shut it down.

They won't allow me access to the data or or images.

All my backups are gone and I have no means to retrieve the information now.

Sorry.
    FFS! What exactly was the problem? ie: What did you do that I haven't?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Archives, that is horrible! I can only imagine how much time and effort you spent on that site. Sorry, man. Very sorry, in fact, for this bullshit to have befallen you.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Archives, that truly sucks, especially after all that effort. What a total shame! Dude, I am very sorry to hear about this and will miss the site which was an asset to collectors and fans everywhere.

Did they or you get a cease and desist letter from Rubenstein's legal reps?

This is totally fucked. I cannot see how anything that you were doing would have any consequences for the copyright holders other than promoting their material FOR FREE! It seems to me a legal argument over fair use could be reasonably made (of course, I'm not an attorney so I don't know for sure) Is there a process through which you can appeal the shutdown, or is this a case closed matter? It seems very wrong that they could hit you with this without warning you first.

Anyway, sorry for this, brother, but this is not fair to you or anyone else.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I'm still talking to them. From what they said, they got an e-mail. That's it. The guys over at ATZ said Linksky (the host) doesn't like when websites get to big and jump at the first chance to shut them down. They only want resellers. The worst part is I can't just move the site because I saved all my backups to FTP on the site and they removed my access. I was almost in tears. I wish they would have done this months ago. I had over 1,000 listings and several people besides myself did a lot of research.

I hope to get something resolved this week.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

Undisclosed
    That's impossible; it's not a copyright violation to publish photos of items that you own. Look up the first-sale doctrine and how it pertains to copyright.

I'm unfamiliar with your web site and the content that it contained exactly (I'm assuming photos of items in your living dead collection as you've posted here), but it sounds like a panicky, gun shy hosting company is the real culprit.

United States
    Terrible news. Hopefully this can be worked out.

Administrator

England
    I'm still talking to them. From what they said, they got an e-mail. That's it. The guys over at ATZ said Linksky (the host) doesn't like when websites get to big and jump at the first chance to shut them down. They only want resellers. The worst part is I can't just move the site because I saved all my backups to FTP on the site and they removed my access. I was almost in tears. I wish they would have done this months ago. I had over 1,000 listings and several people besides myself did a lot of research.

I hope to get something resolved this week.
    Surely they can permit just FTP access?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Is there a lesson in all this? Yup, there is. Whenever building a website ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your shit backed up, either on a disc or just on your PC. I'm having website troubles too and recently pulled my site from a nameless host because the downtime was simply outrageous. I've started again from scratch with a new host and it's only taken me a couple of days to get back to where I was because I kept everything.

But anyhow, sorry about your site, man.

Undisclosed
    The worst part is I can't just move the site because I saved all my backups to FTP on the site and they removed my access.
    Where is this hosting company located? If they won't grant FTP access so that you may regain ownership of your files, take them to small claims court for damages covering loss of your property. The maximum amount that you can sue for is usually $4000-$5000, but it's designed so that you may represent yourself.

If the hosting company is located outside of your state, file a complaint with their state's department of consumer affairs. That gets results every time.

United States
    Sorry, archives. You put alot of work into the site and I enjoyed browsing from time to time. Hope this can be resolved.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Archives, when was the last time you cleared out the temporary internet files on your computer? I didn't know my computer stored images and files I viewed on the internet for faster web surfing when I first got into computers. I only learned about stored internet files when my computer's hard drive ran out of room. If you haven't deleted stuff in your temporary internet file lately, you could recover some of your lost date.

I know this is pretty lame suggest, but it's the only bit of help that I can offer.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Where is this hosting company located? If they won't grant FTP access so that you may regain ownership of your files, take them to small claims court for damages covering loss of your property. The maximum amount that you can sue for is usually $4000-$5000, but it's designed so that you may represent yourself.

If the hosting company is located outside of your state, file a complaint with their state's department of consumer affairs. That gets results every time.
    You'll find in the small print that they don't guarantee your data, I'm sure!
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You'll find in the small print that they don't guarantee your data, I'm sure!
    Yup, I think most hosts have it in the small print that they have the right to block access/remove the site without notice. In fact, they also urge members to keep all their data in case of such decisions.
    Last edited by capncnut; 13-May-2009 at 12:35 PM.